Just got my Grado sr325s
Jun 21, 2003 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jacobh

100+ Head-Fier
I just plugged in my new Grado 325's and wanted to post my initial thoughts. From a comfort standpoint, I find my sr60s more comfortable with the flat pads. I don't know if my ears are small, but these are really like circumaural pads on me.

They have no break in time on them yet, so the sound will probably change.

They are much more detailed and airy sounding then my sr60s. After listening to the 325s for a few minutes and putting on the 60s, the 60s sounded very mushy. Acoustic guitar sounds very clean and impressive on the 325s. However, they do sound on the light side with regards to bass right now. I can see why people would call these bright or harsh sounding. The detail level is really impressive right out of the box. Hopefully with a little burn in, the mid/lower end will catch up to the higher end. I'm gonna let these burn in for a bit and then I'll post my impressions as compared to the Senn HD580 and my Grado 60s'. I'll probably try some pad swapping and different sources also. The aluminum look matches my XCans nicely (although not sure how they work together sound wise).

Jun 22, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 7
SR60 and the SR325s. We are talking about two very particular chamber designs here. Indeed this difference is transduced distinctly into sound. To my hears the SR325s produce quite nice sound stage because of the large resonant metal chamber they have. Bass is more defined and profound in the 325s. You pay for this a bit in the confort department as this cans are heavy.

Is this worth the extra money, to my ears SR325 are the best of the SR line, in fact, I like them better than the RS2. But ultimatedly, it is a matter of personal choice whether you hear a difference and whether it is worth it.

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 7
The SR325s are great cans...

Give them a week or two to settle in, and a good amp to sing with, and you're made.. magic sound
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 7
After some break in time, the lower end has really improved substantially. However, the mid range is still very weak. I can hear what I'd describe as a room effect of some sort where there is adecay and a little bit of echo on a lot of voices. This with the recessed midrange currently creates something that just sounds not quite right (sorry I can't describe it better). I think I might also be hearing some of the limitations of my source currently.

Sephka - Without knowing your budget or tastes in music it's hard to say if they are worth the price difference. Without being fully broken in, my initial impression is no, but that's not really a fair judgement anyway.

Duncan - I actually noticed that we have a simialar taste in equipment reading a lot of your posts. Your positive comments on the 325s in other threads make me believe once they are broken in I will really like them.

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Jacobh
Duncan - I actually noticed that we have a simialar taste in equipment reading a lot of your posts. Your positive comments on the 325s in other threads make me believe once they are broken in I will really like them.

I hope so... they're great cans... and I still feel a little remorseful for selling my own pair on...

...That being said, I couldn't afford to keep both pairs of Grados
frown.gif

Either way... enjoy your purchase, its a good one
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back