Just got my Grado SR-225s...
May 30, 2007 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TBomb06

100+ Head-Fier
rs1smile.gif
These things are awesome! Put the Todd flats on them and just wow...the only other "decent" headphone I have to compare these to are my 5 year old Sony MDR-V700DJ (I know...I didn't know any better back then...) and these are just amazing. Jamming out to My Moon My Man by Feist and it's just amazing. Perfect.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How to you like the flats compared to the bowls? Glad you like your phones so much. Just remember to go to sleep tonight.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, now that I am somewhat over the initial impression, I can use more descriptive words than "awesome" and "amazing"...maybe. I still have a grin on my face though. To me, the bowls sound more "airy" and open, no doubt because the bowls hold the drivers further from the ear. The flats are a little more up-front, I guess I would say...the bass is more pronounced for sure. The flats have a thicker, meatier sound to them. It's difficult for me to describe, but I have a feeling that I will be keeping the flats on here for the most part. Granted, all of this is said with just an hour or so of total listening time on these, so I can't really be objective at this point. Comfort wise the difference is negligible compared to my old phones. I definitely love the sound with the flats...and definitely am falling in love with the Grado sound
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Hey, congrats. Do you think you could characterize the primary differences you're hearing? I'm only interested because Years and years ago I had a set of those Sonys that were super comfortable and (never having been exposed to the Grado lore) sounded pretty rich. Still think they're probably great for hip hop.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear. Enjoy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBomb06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rs1smile.gif
These things are awesome! Put the Todd flats on them and just wow...the only other "decent" headphone I have to compare these to are my 5 year old Sony MDR-V700DJ (I know...I didn't know any better back then...) and these are just amazing. Jamming out to My Moon My Man by Feist and it's just amazing. Perfect.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, congrats. Do you think you could characterize the primary differences you're hearing? I'm only interested because Years and years ago I had a set of those Sonys that were super comfortable and (never having been exposed to the Grado lore) sounded pretty rich. Still think they're probably great for hip hop.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear. Enjoy!

The main differences between the Grados and the Sonys? Well, the Grados are much clearer than the Sonys, which were designed as DJ headphones, and are pretty much geared towards bass
basshead.gif
, and lots of it, regardless of quality or control. The Grados still have plenty of bass, especially with the flats, but it is much more controlled and snappy instead of muddy and overpowering. The Grados sound crisp and lively, much more natural than the Sonys. The Sonys still might be good for some hip hop or other bass heavy music where you just want to try and rattle your brain loose
biggrin.gif
. As far as the rest of the spectrum, the Grados sing...guitar strums are crunchy, if that makes sense. Very detailed. Vocals sound clear and smooth, not muddled or too sharp. I think thats about as good of a description that I'm capable of without some real serious thought and concentration
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope it helps!

May 30, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Design /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my moon my man is such a great track. sounds great on the 325i as well
cool.gif

Awesome, I also like One Evening on my SR125s.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Glad to hear you are enjoying them. I also enjoyed a brief week with the 225s - but the budget just wouldnt bear them. I'm back to my SR60s. The 225s are a great headphone that you'll get years of enjoyment from, assuming you don't upgrade!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back