Just got my first XTC remaster!
Aug 17, 2001 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I know there were a few of you out there interested in these. Well, I just got XTC's Black Sea, my all-time favorite XTC disc in the newly remastered edition from amazon.

Well, first of all the booklet is very nicely done and looks ten times better than the import version I used to own circa the '80s. The nice packaging makes it clear that they took this project seriously.

How does it sound?
WOW! Just about all you could expect. Well done. Crunchy guitars, tight bass, and snappy drums. Heaven!

I already have Drums and Wires on its way, and will placing an order for English Settlement and Big Express post-haste.

markl

Aug 17, 2001 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 8
Hey Jude,
That's a song, isn't it?

Anyway, All the Geffen albums-- from Go2 (their first) through Nonsuch (1992).

All well worthwhile except Mummer. I'll be skipping that one, but getting ALL the rest over time.

markl

Aug 17, 2001 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 8
Oh, one other thing--- even the Dukes of Stratosphere CD and EP all-in-one package has been re-matered.

Dukes of Stratosphere was a nom-de-plume used by XTC so they could re-create the sounds of early English psychedelic music that in large part inspired them as a band. Chips off the Cholocate Fireball is a really FUN album of original material done in a tongue in cheek style, and does not SUCK like most side-projects do.

Also, for newbies, I'd avoid the first two albums (Go2 and White Music). In fact, I may not even buy those now that I think about it.

markl

Ugh, the Costello remasters hit in a matter of weeks I believe. Oh, well. I'll just eat less. Have to have my priorities.

Aug 17, 2001 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 8
markl,
thanks for the XTC info. please let us know how "english settlement" (1982) sounds compared to the 1988 non-digitally remastered version. god, what a masterpiece that one is!

yeah jude, "nonsuch" (1992) is a GREAT record. but why would they remaster that? it's already 'DAD'.

"black sea" (1980) is my second fave, but that one was remixed and digitally remastered in 1987 when the original CD version came out.

Aug 17, 2001 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 8
I realized that English Settlement has been on the shelf for quite a while so I gave it a listen tonight. Man, this is such a great album. For those who have never listened to XTC, and especially for those who have and want to hear more, run out and get this album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back