Just got my Exemplar Modded Oppo BDP-83
Jun 28, 2010 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

immtbiker

The first to organize an (Inter)National Head-Fi Meet (2006)
Only listened to one CD, but it sounds stupendous! It was modded by John Tucker of Exemplar who is 
famous for modding many things, especially the Denon 2900 and I believe the 3910.

The Oppo BDP-83 is a universal player (now I will finally be able to hear SACD/DVD-A/ and HDCD's in my
bedroom rig), but for a while I will be wasting the video capabilities. Within the video options it also plays
Blue Ray. It is a $6-700 player that costs $2500 modded and has been said to sound as good as any 
Meitner or Reiymo player by some of the experts. We shall see.

Here's a link to all of the upgrades:

http://www.exemplaraudio.com/cd_player.html

Now with my wife's unemployment and 7 weeks of short term disability, it going to be time to sell something.
Probably my beloved R-10's. I have the HD800's, T-1's, HE-5LE's, HE-6E (soon), LCD-2 (soon), Jades and 
Omega 1's (not O2 MkI).

Anyway John is very proud of his accomplishments with the Oppo and said that almost everyone that has heard
it, says "it's the best player they have ever heard". Quite a large statement. It has a button on the remote that
turns off all off the video circuitry, so when playing audio, only those circuits are involved.

Time to re-examine my collection but the only problem is, that it is close to 100° in NYC and my bedroom A/C broke!

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 27
Last week I also received my Exemplar Audio modified Oppo BDP-83 (Only mine is a SE version, meaning that mine is the BDP-83SE Modified by Exemplar, and that it's a Siltech Edition - using Siltech G6 everywhere possible).

Since the ESS DAC's use different voltages than the DAC's used in the standard BDP-83 the Mods are not identical. At some point Aaron and I are going to try and get together to compare his vs. mine, and maybe we can have someone else bring a stock player, who knows. Right now my player is still breaking in, with around 120 hours under its belt.

I'm one of John Tuckers biggest fans. I use to own his 3910. I own his Music Server and XD-1 DAC, and now I have the first BDP-83SE that he's modded. Oh and I'm waiting for him to finish modding my Music Hall 25.2 DAC. So yeah I'm a fan. I'm also on the short list for the Exemplar Audio Headphone Amp. A project that he's been tinkering with for over a year now. He'll eventually finish it, and I'm confident that it will be exceptional. I just hope that I have the money for it when it's finally ready.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 27
Awesome Aaron, congrats on the new player.  I have an Oppo that someone has been encouraging me to mod, but it is much cheaper than that jewel you have over there.  I just have a DV-980h and Kyle over at RAM has talked to me several times about his mod on it but i have been a bit shy on it.  I have heard alot about the benefits of modding the Oppos though, can't wait to hear your take on the new unit.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 27
Man I'd love to see internal pics of both players (if possible).

Congrats on the new players Yikes and inmtbiker !!!

Peete.

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 27
I think we're probably too busy enjoying them to post about it.

Sound quality wise the Exemplar BDP-83SE is in the same league with My PWD. Of course the PWD won't play Blu-Ray Discs. The really interest comparison will be when I get the Bridge and then if I can ever figure out how to stream to the 83SE.

I'm happy with the Exemplar Mod. Sounds fantastic with my SACD's and DVD-Audio Discs. Of course with the DVD-A's the Oppo also outputs up to 24/192 which the PWD handles really well. Which sounds better? Sorry, doesn't work that way. The Exemplar BDP-83 is a little more precise or articulate, whereas the PWD is slightly softer, or maybe rounder, but not objectionably so.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 27
i listened to your "standard" bdp-83 se last spring at the ny meet and it sounded awfully good to me.  i know you had some issues with it during the burn-in stage.  i just bit the bullet and ordered the NuForce Edition (B stock, from NuForce directly, at a fairly good price), though I won't be taking delivery for a couple of months as I have a business trip to Nepal happening soon. 

I noticed that modwright is going tube with its latest BDP-83SE mod.  I also saw JenaLabs as done a mod.  Seems like everyone is doing so at this point (including, of course, Ayre and um, Lexicon).

By the way, I hope your operation went well ....

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 27
Thanks, recovery from the surgery has been a breeze, what they didn't mention was that there is an occasional increased chance of Gout. As of now I am still fighting a 2 month+ Gout outbreak. Two months straight, if you want to talk about demoralizing...

Still as of yesterday AM I was down to 305. Middle of April I was 360, and last September I was 435. So not bad overall.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 27
How is the unmodded Oppo as a transport alone?  Does anyone mod just the PS and digital out sections?

I would guess that you need the full mods to get the SACD analog out to the higher SQ.  Do the mods affect multi channel analog out as well - for the SACD at least?

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #14 of 27

How is the unmodded Oppo as a transport alone?  Does anyone mod just the PS and digital out sections?

I would guess that you need the full mods to get the SACD analog out to the higher SQ.  Do the mods affect multi channel analog out as well - for the SACD at least?

As a transport for an external DAC it's ok, but hardly world class. I haven't heard of any mods where the emphasis is improving the digital output. The output may be improved due to power supply upgrading, but otherwise not much has been done. It could be done, with transformers and such.

Most mods (the Exemplar included) emphasize the two channel stereo outs. There are a couple of companies that do mod the multiple-channel outputs, but since I have no interest in that I didn't pay attention.

In the 90's and early 00's I did reference level multiple-channel audio. SACD and theater, and it ultimately was less natural and involving than a killer two channel system. 5.1 music came off as gimmicky. For movies it's fine, but I'll stick with stereo.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 27
Nice to know that John is modding the Oppo BDP-83.  I'm a bit surprised that he didn't perform his famous tube output mod on the Oppo though.  Has anyone compared the mod Oppo to a mod Denon 3910 or 5910 performance wise?   I wish economy is a bit better so I could try out the Modwright 5400ES with 6SN7 tubes output.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back