Just Got my ER-6I and Shure E2c ...
Oct 24, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 25
I am deliberating this now...E2c...or the E6i...
Too many conflicting opinions...

ON THE GOOD NOTE: I RETURNED THE BOSS TRIPORTS FROM THE PIT OF FIRE THEY CAME FROM

So now I'm look for some other more-worthy non-open headphones.

At least there is a consensus about the triports...the e2c and E6i have different opinions. Some say the e2c lacks bass and is muddy, some say that about the E6i and some say burning in the e2c gives it a great bass improvement...

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider
At least there is a consensus about the triports...the e2c and E6i have different opinions. Some say the e2c lacks bass and is muddy, some say that about the E6i and some say burning in the e2c gives it a great bass improvement...

You'll also find dissent on the burn-in part. Some believe that balanced armature drivers require no burn-in, as even certain manufacturers themselves say so.

Others will tell you, well, otherwise.

Determine what kind of sound you like; a fun punchy sound; or a cleaner, somewhat sterile sound. After you do this, you're almost home.

Spanner-in-the-works: I thought I was a fun-fone-freak, until I tried the Etys and discovered the joys of clear, detailed music at the cost of reduced bass impact.

Sorry, couldn't help it
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannonfodder
You'll also find dissent on the burn-in part. Some believe that balanced armature drivers require no burn-in, as even certain manufacturers themselves say so.

Others will tell you, well, otherwise.

Determine what kind of sound you like; a fun punchy sound; or a cleaner, somewhat sterile sound. After you do this, you're almost home.

Spanner-in-the-works: I thought I was a fun-fone-freak, until I tried the Etys and discovered the joys of clear, detailed music at the cost of reduced bass impact.

Sorry, couldn't help it
biggrin.gif

I've heard the e2c described as clear and detailed...dissent at its worst!
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

I've heard the e2c described as clear and detailed...dissent at its worst!
tongue.gif

Haha! Yeah, I concur on the dissent!

I heard the E2Cs, and thought the treble extension was pretty rolled off and the bass, while substantially more than the ER-6i, was also one big mash of beats and tones.

The problem is we all hear very differently. For example, I hear next to nothing over 16KHz, so the treble-forward Etys don't sound exceedingly bright to me as they do to some others.

That, and preference. Some like their music to go Boom-Boom! Some, less so. Unless you know the preferences of the people you're asking, it's like asking people to tell you which tastes better, Chocolate or Vanilla.

You have to lick to know if you like it. Sad but true
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #20 of 25
Vanilla. Anyone who prefers chocolate is just an ignorant git swayed by marketing and hype. There's this guy in one of my classes who thinks that chocolate is way better than vanilla, but he's obviously never read much at vanilla-fi.org. He won't even try vanilla when I offer it to him! What a dummy.
tongue.gif

Back OT, I don't mind the somewhat rolled-off highs on my new e2c. From reading here I expected it to be a much darker, mushier, boomier can. Even the foamies are a bit labor-intensive to insert, for my tastes. I'm very curious about the clean, detailed Ety sound, but it sounds like Ety insertion is a lot of work!

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

No...but they sound great...just like the advertisements and the rappers say. Its so clear and perfect. Those three little holes are ingenious and make the highs crisp and the bass is perfect. And the stars use it. Best 150$ i've ever spent.

hah! The only time I've ever heard anything about Bose's Triport was here on this website, they totally are soooo COOOL! So I went to Bose.com, found the triports, clicked on 'photos' and here is the only one they had: "SEE IT IN USE"
rolleyes.gif
haha!

Oct 24, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
Back OT, I don't mind the somewhat rolled-off highs on my new e2c. From reading here I expected it to be a much darker, mushier, boomier can. Even the foamies are a bit labor-intensive to insert, for my tastes. I'm very curious about the clean, detailed Ety sound, but it sounds like Ety insertion is a lot of work!

How significant is this "roll off"? Headroom has some frequency response graphs:

ER6 (assuming that the 6i is designed exactly as the 6):
iconGraph.php

E2c:
iconGraph.php

Interesting. I am really debating the two...grr...
I tried messing around with a graph-based EQ to see if I could produce these graphs to illustrate the effect...however...those graphs are highly limited. It makes little sense to make such a skip from 2,000 hz to 20,000 when you need much more detail between those crucial frequencies. Of course, most anything above 10,000 hz doesn't affect music as apparently.

Plus, most websites/all of them have a no-return policy on in-ear phones.

EDIT: The ER6i is being marketed with a higher bass response and +8db output than the ER6.

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #24 of 25
after two hours of review browsing and bipolar-like conflicting emotions over the two headphones...I think I will go with the E2c...because they pass the pillow test.
etysmile.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #25 of 25
Well, I have both and the Er6i just gets much more play time. The E2c has a bunch more bass to me, however the Er6i fit bettter to me and I don't mind that they have less bass. In fact, I think my friend is going to be keeping my E2c's, I let him "borrow them" but I don't expect them back.
Just my 2 cents.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back