Just got my Denon 1001
Apr 13, 2009 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

playingwithfire

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks for all the suggestions from this thread below

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bud...dphone-417996/

By the end, sounding good come in second for me behind comfort and not bothering other people in the library.

First Impressions are pretty good. The headphone looks pretty hmmm....what word is it....TRADITIONAL. Its design is not radical at all. But hey, I bought this for comfort and sound, or else I'd get some SkullCandy or something. The build looks some what fragile(compare to say Senn HD 555) but that's what you have to give to be portable I guess. Overall I'm pretty please with the design because they sits on the ear really comfy. I won't say I don't notice them on but I can wear them for extended period without being frustrated.

So here's a question for you all. Do you prefer to burn in with pink/white noises or actual music? So far I've been just using the headphone like I normally would without burning them through the night or anything drastic. I want to say I have about 20-25 hrs of burn in time right now with mostly rock, some whine rock(Belle & Sebastian, Death Cab), and some Classical(Klemperer's Magic Flute, Karajan's Beethoven Symphonies, ect.). And I really haven't noticed much change besides the base being slightly tighter. Should I expect much improvement after now on?

I listen to this 100% of the time out of my desktop and my ipod touch. And one big negative I've noticed is that the voices are really hidden. Not the really high voices like the Queen of the Night from the Magic Flute, just your general male vocal in Rock. It really hides behind the low and the high. Is that bound to improve with burn in or is this pretty much the shortcoming of this phone? Another but smaller problem I have with those is that it doesn't sound all that great with bigger stage sounds. It sounds perfectly fine for Garage Rock, Jazz and anything intimate and small. But it's not all that exciting with Classical or giant stadium rock live albums. Is that another short coming or is it going to improve with burn in?

Appreciate your input
beyersmile.png

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 22
I always burn in with real music. You shouldn't need to force burn in, just let them play.

As for the vocals, the headphone is pretty well balanced, so if the vocals are "hidden" behind the other sounds, that's not far off from the way it's supposed to sound. Some other headphones tend to be more "midrange" forward, emphasizing vocals more, like some Sennheisers, but then you might miss the sparkliness of the Denons. This is why there aren't really any perfect headphones, and many people own multiple sets (use the right tool for the job) some headphones work better with some types of music but not others.

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 22
what about the classical(more spacious music) question?

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 22
yes, lack of soundstage is a "flaw" in the headphone. It won't really get any wider with burn in.

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 22
quick question guys

according to the headroom graph of the 1001's frequency response, shouldn't I be expecting recessed treble and bass instead of mids? I don't understand how to read the graph, it's a reverse U with the base about 7 db lower than the mids?

Teach me?

Build A Graph - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears[]=233

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quick question guys

according to the headroom graph of the 1001's frequency response, shouldn't I be expecting recessed treble and bass instead of mids? I don't understand how to read the graph, it's a reverse U with the base about 7 db lower than the mids?

Teach me?

Build A Graph - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears[]=233

Just trust your own ears.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 22
Hi guys,
I want to ask to someone that has Denon D1001 and JVC RX700. Do they have different sound signature? How comfortable the Denon to RX700? Is the Denon circumaural like RX700? (for me RX700 completely covered my ears). I am considering D1001 for my portable setup as RX700 is too big to be used as portable eventho it is very easy to drive.

Thanks

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

quick question guys

Teach me?

The claim that the mids are recessed on the Denon doesn't really hold much water IMHO. Maybe compared to some other headphones, the Denons are U shaped in the frequency response, but I actually find the Denon very balanced. If I go back and forth between my speaker system which was carefully equalized to be as flat as possible, the D1001 isn't lacking in mids. There is a slight peak in the upper mids and lower highs which makes them sound a bit edgier sounding than they should be, and this sometimes makes them sound a bit more sibilant.

As far as classical, closed headphones don't tend to have as wide soundstage as open headphones (very general rule, with probably lots of exceptions).

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 22
I'll ditto the D1001s not being mid-recessed. They're laid back, though. Also, they don't get "more exciting", to answer the OP's question about classical music. I'm perplexed by the reference to narrow soundstage though. I was plenty impressed by the soundstage, specially for closed cans.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 22
maybe the music is designed that way but when I listen to some Sonic Youth or Yo La Tengo, I can hardly hear the vocal. Even less so than before.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #14 of 22
and exactly how should I read the graph?

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

maybe the music is designed that way but when I listen to some Sonic Youth or Yo La Tengo, I can hardly hear the vocal. Even less so than before.

I think if midrange/vocal is your primary focus, this can won't suit your needs well. Like others said, the D1001 has a laid-back sound that sounds relatively balanced.

One thing for sure, the midrange of Denon doesn't stand forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back