Just got my Creative Zen Micro
Jan 16, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #541 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeeyy
I believe 1.00.12 added support for Microsoft PlayForSure as well as inclusive previous bug fixs, which means you can drag and drop if you have WinXP and WMP10 installed in your system.

I knew that much; that's why I installed it. You do mean 2.00.12, not 1.00.12 though, right?

Jan 16, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #542 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmpopfanatic
I knew that much; that's why I installed it. You do mean 2.00.12, not 1.00.12 though, right?

Yup, u are right. Typo there.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #543 of 630
Wow, when I started this thread I didn't think there'd be so many replies.

It's been two months since I've had the Zen Micro, so here are some updated opinions:

- The touch buttons are getting annoying. When it's in my jacket pocket where I can easily hold it, I can't even change the volume without having to take it out of my pocket and look at the screen. If I try changing the volume blind, I end up not pressing the touchpad in the correct place (so the unit thinks I've tapped it rathern than slid my finger across it) and bring up the Now Playing Playlist where I can't easily change the volume. FF and RW a song is also iffy.

- I have never used the radio except at the beginning to set up the presets.

- The Zen Micro gets stuck once in a while when I plug it in to recharge. I have had similar issues with the Creative NJB3. You'd think plugging it it wouldn't strain the software/firmware, but it does.

- Battery life is good. It doesn't drain rapidly overnight for me like others have reported.

- Aside from the first problem, using the touch pad to navigate around isn't too bad.

- I think there are still some kinks in the firmware, which are carried over from Creative's older devices, or at least my experience with the NJB3. The buffering is weird. Sometimes when you pause a song and then play it again, it plays instantly. Other times, the hard drive has to spin up in order to un-pause, and I don't understand why. Using RW to restart a song also sometimes requires the hard drive to spin up, even if the buffer should still have that data in it. So, the device seems to really lag sometimes, and I get annoyed, mainly because the iPod and iPod mini I have/had are more responsive in terms of buffering, pausing/un-pausing, and rewinding to restart a song - all of which I tend to do often.

- [no flames please] It doesn't work with iTunes. CMS sucks and I've stopped using it. I use Explorer, but even then it's not as easy as iTunes. With the iPod mini, I sync a single playlist titled "Library", which contained all the songs I wanted. If there were new songs I wanted, I simply dragged it over from the iTunes library to the playlist. If the playlist was too big, I'd easily delete groups of songs at once to make space. With the Zen Micro, it takes much more effort to find music to delete to make room for adding new songs. I haven't found an easier way to manage the Zen Micro.

But I would still buy the Zen Micro over the iPod mini any day. 1GB extra space, radio if I ever need it, much better screen, smaller text so more info is displayed, looks and feels good.

That said, I will be getting a 1GB iPod Shuffle next week and may sell the Zen Micro after that. I dropped out of grad school this month and so my listening habits have changed. I now only listen to my Zen Micro maybe 20 mins a day going to and from work. During that time, I find myself listening to just a few singles or songs over and over day after day. Having 5GB is either overkill or not enough, in that I listen only to a few songs, or I want to listen to a song but it's not on there because I didn't load it because changing the music on there is such a hassle. So any flash player would better fit my needs of listening to a few favorite songs, in playlist or random order. I do like the built-in rechargable battery, I hate having to separately recharge batteries, so that's what's most appealing about the shuffle. And I admit using iTunes to manage a constantly changing playlist of songs to put on the shuffle is easy. I'd be reluctant to let go of the Zen Micro because it's a great device, but it no longer fits my usage.

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #544 of 630
I have a question.. zen micro can store upto 2500 mp3 songs at 64kbs.. right? what if your songs are higher kbs like 128, 164, 223? would it still store 2500 mp3 songs?

and secondly, which is better ipod mini, or zen micro? see i wanna get one of these but ipod mini used iTunes which i like and zen micro uses WMP which i dont

Jan 17, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #545 of 630
and can somone pls post some pictures of the screens of both players?

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #547 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
That said, I will be getting a 1GB iPod Shuffle next week and may sell the Zen Micro after that.

Wow, thats REALLY a slap in the face to the zen micro. Your getting the Ipod Shuffle, something that has no screen, and is long penis shape instead of keeping a 5gb zen micro. like i understand if you dont need as many songs as u said, but comeon. at least get something with a screen. you think the touch pad is annoying, not being able to tell what the volume is, how is the ipod shuffle gonna solve that. there is no screen, so how are you gonna tell what ANYTHING is?

it's weird cuz i kinda thought Taphil was like this boards Zen Micro representative kinda after he created this mega- successful zen micro board. he was like the leader... and now hes selling it.
lol

Jan 17, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #548 of 630
I agree with you rockit. Taphil's posts, pictures, and reviews was what made me WANT the Zen Micro. You inspired some of us. I'm actually a little bit sad now.

Let's start a petition. Taphil don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 17, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #551 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoNotBugMe
I have a question.. zen micro can store upto 2500 mp3 songs at 64kbs.. right? what if your songs are higher kbs like 128, 164, 223? would it still store 2500 mp3 songs?

and secondly, which is better ipod mini, or zen micro? see i wanna get one of these but ipod mini used iTunes which i like and zen micro uses WMP which i dont

i can get about 1000 songs on my micro at about an average of 150kps and 3 min each. as to the ipod mini vs. zen micro the micro is pound for pound far better than the mini. if you want to pay 20-30$ more for an image that does less stuff thats your buissiness, but i would just assume get the best for less money. itunes is good but i like wmp almost just as much. tell the truth you should not even consider the ipod mini ever. its either going to be the zen micro or rio carbon if you want a good player.

rio- better battery life but no removable battery, worse interface(slower), worse sound quallity, smaller size, both have voice recorder, zen has the radio, both are drag and drop compatable and i think both are play for sure (not sure about the rio).

you should do some homework on the rio carbon and zen micro on these forums and read a bunch of reviews on line. just google each one and get'a readin. good luck, this will take a while
orphsmile.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #552 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMACK
where'd you guys order your ZM's with the freebie? the free battery is righteous.

www.newegg.com shipped in less than a day and was on my door step in 3
tongue.gif
beat that amazon.

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #553 of 630
Did anyone get the free battery when ordering from buy.com? i ordered mine from there on Friday and it's still being processed because of the weekend. I can still cancel the order and definitely will if i knew for sure that i'd get a free battery from somewhere else...

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #554 of 630
Quote:

Did anyone get the free battery when ordering from buy.com? i ordered mine from there on Friday and it's still being processed because of the weekend. I can still cancel the order and definitely will if i knew for sure that i'd get a free battery from somewhere else...

hi, i don't think you'll find one anywhere else which comes with a free battery anymore as this was only the case with the first 30,000 or so shipped out.

Chris

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #555 of 630
Quote:

Anybody, a couple quick questions...i expect my new ZM today.

as far as the software, should i upgrade right away or not? i keep reading conflicting advice.

also, should i just convert all my files to 128kbps for maximum storage capability and if so how much does this affect sound quality?
whats the easiest way to do this?

TIA!

Well I am using WMA @ 64Kps and I more than happy with the sound quality. I have 1800+ tracks on with still over a Gb free.

I am happy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back