Just got my Creative Zen Micro
Nov 24, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #106 of 630
Why not have another look at the playlists in iTunes before dismissing it out of hand?

You might well think they're not useful, but like many things in life once you realise just how clever they are you wonder how you managed before
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #107 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by photographlondon
Why not have another look at the playlists in iTunes before dismissing it out of hand?

You might well think they're not useful, but like many things in life once you realise just how clever they are you wonder how you managed before
wink.gif

I wonder why should I since all my needs are fulfilled?

Have you ever try out Foobar?

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #108 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
I don't use playlists, i use nero to burn cds, don't use Audible, i use eac+lame to rip cds, encode to mp3 and freedb to tag my mp3's, i don't use QT, AAC or ALAC or even AIFF. Simply don't see the big deal for me.

The big deal gets bigger the larger your music library becomes. With the size of the MP3/AL library I have, drag and drop is no longer feasible. The Smartlists allow effective selective loading of your player. It's also just the unimpeded way in which iTunes works. It is quite a resource hog, but it does not get in the way of doing what you want and that's what I like about it.

Now I'm going Zen, I'm going to miss that versatility a lot. Plus of course I'll have to re-rip my Apple Lossless files in MP3...

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #109 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeeyy

Yes, IMO a player for people who comparatively spend less time listening to a varied library and more time fiddling with their player settings.
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #110 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
ok, Im getting one, silver, black, or white, hmm

For those on a budget, you can order a ZEN Micro from Crutchfield.com with no interest for 6 months (Sony Financing CC). That's only $41.50 per month.

AND Crutchfield.com is offering a $25.00 discount when you purchase it along with the Sennheiser PX200 headphones! $249.00 + $60.00 - $25.00 + free shipping = $284.00 for both! OR $47.33 per month for 6 months - no interest! Mine is now on order!

One caveat - Crutchfield.com only has one color available - SILVER.
My preferred color, so I'm in luck!

Nov 24, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #111 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeeyy

Believe me, if Foobar had a decent way of shuffling through my music collection, I'd be using it. It hasn't.

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #112 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The big deal gets bigger the larger your music library becomes. With the size of the MP3/AL library I have, drag and drop is no longer feasible. The Smartlists allow effective selective loading of your player. It's also just the unimpeded way in which iTunes works. It is quite a resource hog, but it does not get in the way of doing what you want and that's what I like about it.

Now I'm going Zen, I'm going to miss that versatility a lot. Plus of course I'll have to re-rip my Apple Lossless files in MP3...

Hehe, i'm gonna sound like a nut here, but i typically delete my mp3's off of my HD once i dump them into my mp3 player, i keep a few mp3's around but not that many.

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #113 of 630
after fully discharging both batteries, then charging them for about 8 hours. i'm getting a respectable battery life now.

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #114 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by photographlondon
Believe me, if Foobar had a decent way of shuffling through my music collection, I'd be using it. It hasn't.

Nope - it has! At least when you download the foo_shuffle.zip and copy the foo_shuffle.dll into your components directory of foobar...

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #115 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by zikarus
Nope - it has! At least when you download the foo_shuffle.zip and copy the foo_shuffle.dll into your components directory of foobar...

It's not exactly like a smart playlist in iTunes though, is it? I mean with iTunes I can control every aspect of the shuffling with unbelievable precision, so that there is no repetition unless I want specific tracks to be repeated...

Nov 24, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #116 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Yes, IMO a player for people who comparatively spend less time listening to a varied library and more time fiddling with their player settings.
tongue.gif

While I agree I do not listen to varied library, but I also seldom filddling with the setting. Once the setting is set, I did not touch it anymore.
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #120 of 630
Alright, got my Zen Micro in yesterday afternoon. Here are my thoughts (in no particular order) so far on it:
  1. DAMN, it is small.
  1. I ordered it in Silver. I had wanted the Black one, but couldn't find it in stock. I am glad now that I got the Silver one. It just "looks" right.
  1. The OS interface on the Zen is kind of weird. I would like fewer top-level menu options and would like a favorites or shortcut menu.
  1. I don't like the fact that the battery has to be in the ZM to charge it. Need to have an external battery charger.
  1. I figured out that all you really need to load are the Jukebox3 drivers. However, the Zen Media Explorer is pretty much necessary to make Playlists easily. Making them on the ZM itself isn't much fun. So, I actually ended up loading Zen Media Explorer on my computer after all. I normally go as lean as possible with vendor software, but the Zen Media Explorer is required, in my opinion, to get the most out of the ZM.
  1. CMS (Creative Media Source) is crap. Not even worth loading.
  1. As noted before, running the FM Radio AutoScan is a bad idea. I made that mistake and then had to go through deleting all the presets.
  1. I REALLY, REALLY wish that you could organize in to folders on the ZM. I tried actually dropping my folder structure on the ZM (both using just the Jukebox driver and through Zen Media Explorer) and it just put everything in the top-level directory. Organizing by folders would make it easier for playlists (play by folder as well) and would keep my music better organized.

That's pretty much all I can think of for now. I am sure I will come up with more later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back