Just got my Corda HA-1 !
Oct 30, 2002 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TimS

Head-Fier
And I really like it. The crossfeed rocks, it's WAY better than all these WinAMP plugins and sound simulators I tried.

I'm pretty new to all the headphone world, so I had a tough time deciding if I should really spent that money. But now I'm glad I did it, just like after purchasing my HD-600 headphones. They really showed me a level of sound I wasn't used to. It even make me buying CDs again cause MP3s at 128/44 just sound like crap in comparisation. It's really a revealing setup.

I was wondering if I should connect the HD-600s to the 120 or 0Ohm output. I'm not really sure what I prefer, what's just plain technically the best match ?

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 10
BTW: When are you going to have kurtw 'blue' it for you?
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 10
TimS:

Congrats on the amp. I LOVE mine (580s). I have to concur with puppyslug--I exclusively use the O ohm output for the same reason.

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 10
dgs: Yes, it really opens up the sound, more bass and greater detail. Guess you hear something very similar to what I got with the 600s.

I was listening to some new rock CDs and I can agree on that the 0Ohm socket provides a sound that has more punch and presence.

I guess I won't upgrade the amp to a blue, but I was considering replacing the red LED with a cool blue one and hope for the placebo effect to kick in :wink: At the moment I listen with my PC + Audigy card. I would say that's the weakest link in the chain. I'm not really too excited about buying a CD player, and if I invest in a new soundcard it should be able to run games (EAX, DirectSound3D) as well. This unfortunatly excludes real audiophile soundcards...

The cable I use for connecting the amp is http://www.al-kabelshop.de/shopbilder/PRO%2DMMK725.jpg. Was pretty cheap at just 10€. I first wanted to get the Oelbach cable for 30€ (still very acceptable), but the only online distributor I could find couldn't guarantee fast delivery and charged 10€ for S+H ;-( Guess the cable I got does the job, it feels very solid.

greetings,
Tim

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 10
Hey TimS. I love my new Corda HA-1/HD-600 combo too. I also prefer the 0 ohm socket for the 600, but I find that when I'm using my senn 280 pro (when I need isolation) it sounds better with the 120 ohm socket--the 120 ohm seems to tame the brightness of the 280 pro & it sounds much better. Which cross-feed setting to you dudes prefer?

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 10
I never really had a big problem with the harsh stereo separation on headphones. I'm just way too used to it :wink: But there are some records where it's so annoying that you really want to take off your headphones. So I like the lowest crossfeed level the most. It alters the sound as little as possible and removes virtually no bass, but kicks in in these few records and places where it gets really annoying. I like the Corda's crossfeed a lot. Much more subtle that the WinAMP plugins I tried. Some of them basically desrtroied the entire soundstage and I was already worried if I'll like the crossfeed on my amp.

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 10
Use whichever jack sounds better to you. Don't be surprised if a headphone sounds harsh at first from the 0ohm jack then sounds better later as it breaks in, for example.

In my experience, I've only found that I prefer the 120ohm jack on the Beyerdynamic DT931 -- but most of the headphones I've tried cost $50 or more which may be more geared to an audio enthusiast market than to standard components which adhere to the international 120ohm standard. Some other headphone may, therefore, be better matched to the 120ohm jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back