Just got my c551's, impressions from a noob
Apr 8, 2008 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

koop

Head-Fier
Just got my denon c551's in the mail today and popped them in. Havent had time to burn them in, not sure that is neccessary for canalphones.

Anyways, im coming from the shure e2c's and these IMO are a pretty big step up. They sound alot fuller, and the pronounced bass is a very welcome change. Its not so bassy that i feel like it drowns out my music however, just gives a nice punchy sound. Im also very sensitive to too much treble, and these seem to fit the bill for me in that regard too.

Build quality is about as good as im assuming it gets.. only had them for a day so i obviously cant know for sure. But they have an aluminum housing which gives them a very light and durable feel. I also dig the fact they are subtle looking, im not a flashy kinda guy. Straight up black and relatively tiny, no frills.

Comfort wise i love them. SOOoo much easier to pop them in my ears than the e2c's, which i realize are true iems so this may not be a fair comparison. I wear the cord over the ear to reduce microphonics, and these things DO NOT COME OUT. Even my shures would fall out, but these seem to stay in better for some reason. I found that the suppled medium tips provide a surprisingly good amount of isolation. I was a bit concerned about this aspect after reading the HUGE c700 impressions thread. They are ported in the back, but I find that this lets sound out more so than in (sorry if thats obvious).

They do leak a little bit out of the hole, however someone would litterally have to be pushing their ears to mine to hear it. Overall i think these sound really fun. For $65 this is an excellent buy.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by koop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways, im coming from the shure e2c's and these IMO are a pretty big step up. They sound alot fuller, and the pronounced bass is a very welcome change. Its not so bassy that i feel like it drowns out my music however, just gives a nice punchy sound.
Im also very sensitive to too much treble, and these seem to fit the bill for me in that regard too.

They were a good choice then as I'm sure you'd have found the C700 treble too much. They're certainly worth more than the amount you paid for them. You got a truly amazing deal. Congrats
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 10
Well, I was thinking about getting those and now, I think I am. I can't find any reviews on the web, so I don't really know about them. Did you get them on Amazon?

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 10
yea got them off amazon. If you are in the market for a canalphone in the sub $100 range you really cant go wrong, and i think most people will agree. I read so many damn threads on this stuff.. and based on what i read, you would be hard pressed to find something that can compete at this price point.

Check out the huge c700 impressions thread if you have any doubts.

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoloni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I was thinking about getting those and now, I think I am. I can't find any reviews on the web, so I don't really know about them. Did you get them on Amazon?

Amazon has had the best prices on the Denon's that I have found.

Denon AH-C551 $65.80

Or get their big bro and never look back!

Denon AH-C751 $124.49

Apr 8, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 10
I jumped in on that Amazon deal too... even though I already have the C700's. I had been wondering about the sound signature of the C551's, and at that price it is foolish not to take a pair as a backup! I am looking forward to burning them in, and comparing them to their bigger brother.

-Cheers.

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 10
Congrats Koop. I just received my 751s last Friday.I can't believe I never really heard my music before. Definitely worth it! Got them on sale from Amazon, and it's all because of you guys and the C700 thread.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 10
cn11, when comparing C700 and C551 i found that C551 has a little bit more bass impact (thump thump feel), less detail (mostly high), smaller sound stage (not much), similar sound signature, same fit and isolation. Of course C700 is better, but for the price and performance, C551 can't be beaten by it's own class phones (under $100).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back