Just got my bithead today
Dec 2, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, and they also serve different purposes. I had the opportunity to compare the Hornet and the then-current BitHead at a meet in 2005. I actually strongly preferred the BitHead for use with my laptop. The onboard sound of the laptop I was using at the time was terrible, and since the Hornet only had an analog input, it really highlighted the shortcomings of the laptop's onboard sound. Out of the line-out on my iriver, on the other hand, I preferred the Hornet. Since my primary purpose of getting an amp was for use with the laptop, I chose the BitHead.

The DAC was one of the reasons I held onto the Bithead for 3 weeks before returning. And again, Headroom was BRILLIANT with their customer service and return policies, will definitely think about them again in the future. I would have loved to keep the Bithead, but I was desperate to find an amp to lift the highs of the E500, so that had to go. The Bithead is successful in its own way, it's neutral, an all-in-1 for under $200. I don't think there's any ready-to-use amps out there that even come close to it. I rarely used the DAC feature and 90% on the analog, which explains why I went for the Hornet at the end.

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #33 of 41
Dec 2, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #34 of 41
scottymac,
as you commented in the thread I started, we are in similar positions. i hope you had a chance to read that thread, as it has some good points. the biggest thing is to realize that if you're using lossy files, there is a good deal lost(listen to a cd then an mp3 version of the same song). so use a cd when listening to differences with/without the bithead.

also, this is the biggest difference that I have noticed so far with the bithead. tell me if you can relate to it. it is a subtle difference, but it is there and quite meaningful, least for me:
with the bithead, the music sounds more realistic, almost more like you're there listening to it than feeling like you're listening to a recording, almost like someone is singing to you in your head. i think this is a suble effect because you expect an amp to blow your socks off when all it does is very accurately reproduce music. i think i had been expecting to experience a "wow" similar to one you might experience when seeing HDTV on a plasma TV or something, but that isn't a fair comparison because when you watch TV on a plasma screen, you can more accurately be aware of the fact that you're watching a recording. with headphones, it just puts you right there in the recording room. and what would that sound like? probably a lot like the sound you hear through the bithead, see what i'm saying? the effect is subtle.

i'd recommend listening to a live concert DVD to feel how immersive the sound can be.

so basically, to me, the biggest thing i've noticed is how the music i listen to seems like something i could reach out and touch. it adds depth to music. without the bithead i don't get that. do you notice this difference?

Dec 3, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #35 of 41
I once owned a Bithead as well, and I don't think I ever really noticed the crossfeed much. As has already been suggested, use a heavily panned recording to test it (I used Simon & Garfunkel's Wednesday Morning, 3A.M. The two voices on that whole album are panned far left and right. You should be able to hear a slight difference on a recording like that; they should move a little toward the center and the sound should get a bit warmer as a side effect. That being said, I think the crossfeed is weak on the Bithead because it's the bottom of the line amp from Headroom. Since I've upgraded to a Micro, I can hear a very large difference every time I flip the crossfeed switch. It doesn't matter what recording it is and it's very obvious. You don't have a defective Bithead...the crossfeed circuit on that model is just very subtle and is not nearly as apparent as on the higher-end amps. Not that the Micro is the be-all-end-all, but it is a very noticable upgrade from the amp on the Bithead ($200 for amp+DAC vs. $300 for just amp). The hissing on the Bithead is normal too (at least mine had it). I was astonished at the blackness of the background on the Micro in comparison.

I just wanted to relate my experience to show that I highly doubt your Bithead is defective because it's exactly how mine was and how others have reported theirs to be. This DAC+amp combo is a great value for the money, but you get what you pay for unfortunately
rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by freelyfallin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
scottymac,
as you commented in the thread I started, we are in similar positions. i hope you had a chance to read that thread, as it has some good points. the biggest thing is to realize that if you're using lossy files, there is a good deal lost(listen to a cd then an mp3 version of the same song). so use a cd when listening to differences with/without the bithead.

also, this is the biggest difference that I have noticed so far with the bithead. tell me if you can relate to it. it is a subtle difference, but it is there and quite meaningful, least for me:
with the bithead, the music sounds more realistic, almost more like you're there listening to it than feeling like you're listening to a recording, almost like someone is singing to you in your head. i think this is a suble effect because you expect an amp to blow your socks off when all it does is very accurately reproduce music. i think i had been expecting to experience a "wow" similar to one you might experience when seeing HDTV on a plasma TV or something, but that isn't a fair comparison because when you watch TV on a plasma screen, you can more accurately be aware of the fact that you're watching a recording. with headphones, it just puts you right there in the recording room. and what would that sound like? probably a lot like the sound you hear through the bithead, see what i'm saying? the effect is subtle.

i'd recommend listening to a live concert DVD to feel how immersive the sound can be.

so basically, to me, the biggest thing i've noticed is how the music i listen to seems like something i could reach out and touch. it adds depth to music. without the bithead i don't get that. do you notice this difference?

i just got my bithead yesterday, and at first i was wondering whether or not it really made a huge difference, but this statement is EXACTLY what I have noticed in my 24 hours of testing, if you shut your eyes it sounds like you are listening to a live performance rather than just a reproduction.. i expected to be "wowwed" like the HDTV effect but it is a different kind of impressed that i am experiencing with these, everything sounds much fuller/more up close than without

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #37 of 41
Before I sold my HD555, I used it with the Bithead. There was noticeable difference compared to using my PC's soundcard, but admittedly not dramatic. I think part of the reason lies with the 555's being fairly low impedance (32 ohms, IIRC). I do notice a larger difference with the Bithead when using my HD650, which is more power hungry.

I don't hear a certainty in sound when using crossfeed either. But, with the Headfive crossfeed, I do. Different implementation I guess...

Scotty, you CAN change bass/treble etc. with the Bithead if you do it through whatever software you're using to play your music on your PC....assuming your progam has an EQ option.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by freelyfallin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the biggest thing is to realize that if you're using lossy files, there is a good deal lost(listen to a cd then an mp3 version of the same song). so use a cd when listening to differences with/without the bithead.

If you find that there is such a big difference between an mp3 and the CD, then you are not encoding your MP3s properly.

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #39 of 41
Give it time. Listen to your amp and cans for a while, after about a week of listening to them and getting a feel for them, listen to your cans unamped. Then see how it sounds.

Dec 8, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #40 of 41
I've had the Total Bithead for about a month and at first I wondered about the crossfeed circuit. Then I played a recording of bilateral sounds through it. These are noises (guitar, tick, bassoon...) that play alternately in your left and right ear in 100% isolation. That proved it. Click on the Bithead's crossfeed circuit, the sound moves forward in front of my face and narrows. Turn it off and it returns beside my ears.
Now I hear it with regular music. At least I think I hear it... It really depends upon the music. Usually it's just a bit warmer.
Personally i love the Bithead because the DAC/amplifier combination rescued my work-issue Toshiba laptop and turned it into a good stereo. Now that I have the Turbodock, jury is still out on whether it appreciably improves my iPod Video. I just haven't had time to test it. (Also need some better portable headphones...)
No regrets. Works as advertised, makes my computer sing.

BTW if anyone has a website with bandwidth, I could post one of the bilateral tracks. It truly proves whether or not a crossfeed crcuit is working.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #41 of 41
The bithead crossfeed is VERY subtle, and isnt very helpful on most recordings. Try turning the music all the way to the left or right on your music program, and you will notice it very easily.

The amp is not the problem, your heaphones are. They simply do not need amplification. I have Shure E4s, and the amp does nothing for them. But on my DT880, it is a mammoth difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back