Just got my bithead today
Dec 1, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even with a computer there is hardly any difference.

The bit head is entry level stuff.. Like the saying goes, getting your feet wet, especially a Amp/Dac combo for 200.00.. I'd still think the differences would be more noticable..

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

even with a computer there is hardly any difference.

Where are your files from? CD. Ripped at what bitrate. Just try to play a CD in your computer over the Bithead see how it sounds.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bit head is entry level stuff.. Like the saying goes, getting your feet wet, especially a Amp/Dac combo for 200.00.. I'd still think the differences would be more noticable..

Yeah... its very laid back. But it really brings out the details.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... its very laid back. But it really brings out the details.

Maybe Scott Needs somthing more upfront & forceful like the hornet?

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #21 of 41
Try the crossfeed with some heavily-panned music like the Beatle's Sargent Pepper album, and see if you can tell the difference then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also try to listen for improvements in soundstaging with and without the amp, are the instruments better seperated? Is there a better sense of 'space' around your music? It is the first thing to listen for if you don't notice a difference immediately.

580smile.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

alright, the crossfeed does absolutely nothing. NOTHING. this has to be defective.

When I first got the Bithead I also thought that the crossfeed must be defective because I could not hear a difference. I even emailed Headroom about it.

However, with time, I found that I could definitely hear a difference with some recordings. It is indeed a very subtle effect. Try to find some music with a very wide stereo seperation, and give it some time and patience.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #23 of 41
lol want seriously panned music? The Beatles: Revolver.

The first few tracks, without crossfeed, gave me a headache
frown.gif

It's either only left, or only right for the longest time.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #24 of 41
i just ordered my bithead the other day.. should be here tomorrow... i'm a little worried now after reading this thread since I am going to be using it in the same setting it seems (USB DAC*from my Macbook Pro), does anyone have any suggestions on how to measure the performance boost in using the bithead is since it sounds that some people hear it and some don't/what I should look for to measure how effective it is?

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #25 of 41
I recommend turning the crossfeed on & off a few times with every song that you listen to. In time I think you'll have trained yourself to discern the effect.

With my portable amp/USB DAC combo, the difference in SQ between analog input from my DAP and USB input from PC is big. Since the analog input over rides the USB it's easy to do a very quick comparison. The USB connection sounds better btw...with a better source the difference is not as big.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

does anyone have any suggestions on how to measure the performance boost in using the bithead is since it sounds that some people hear it and some don't/what I should look for to measure how effective it is?

There's no way to quantitatively measure performance increase for one component vs. another, it's all subjective. The problem now is that you're going into your first listen with negative thoughts in your head, you think it sounds bad before you even know what it sounds like.

People's opinions only matter when you're shopping, once you have the equipment it doesn't matter if people say it sucks, especially if you like it. I'm not denying Scottymac's claims, he's completely justified in thinking it's no good, but I got a Bithead two days ago and I think it's absolutely amazing.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

"There's nothing wrong with that, in fact people tend to think they can hear huge differences when they actually can't, so admitting to yourself that things sound the same is going to save you a lot of money."

i think i just did. haha, i didn't mean to sound so pissed off to you guys. i really thought the amp would make a huge difference, i didn't think it was some gimmick (to me). oh well, i havn't even truly tested it out yet. but as of now, if its not a big difference for $200 then i think i'm going to have to get a refund. i think the sound on my computer was really good to begin with, and i kinda forgot that you can't adjust the sound settings when using it through USB. i'll report back later...

Scotty, I had a Bithead a little over a month ago, and I posted a thread concerning similar issues. I really COULDN'T hear much difference except I didn't need to turn on the ipod as loud
confused.gif
?! I then added a Cryo Dock, the resolution of sounds improved, so that was good, but still not great. I used my Shure E500 with it, and the highs were laid-back to start with and I hoped the amp is going to do something to help, but no, nothing. I know some will argue the fact that Bithead amplifies at a "neutral" way, to that, I can only say it's not for me, so I sent it back. I kept it for about 3 weeks, with intensive burning in, and burning money (it doesn't have a wall charger AND it doesn't take rechargeable batteries), I still have to give it up. Struggled with the DAC and double headphone jacks features though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel your pain. I bought one and I swore.... the difference was really minor. Yet, I did hear a volume differince, so I know it works. But, seriously the difference is very minor. Crossfeed I have never gotten to work. I don't know I click it that way and this and nothing.

This amp is really only good out of a computer. The Amp its self its so laid back that you won't hear much of a difference at all with a line-in. Yet, use the USB and the detail of the DAC matches perfectly with the amp's style. But honestly I'm selling mine because its practically useless without a computer. Its clunky. Big. Just going to get a Tomahawk and a DAC down the road.

I agree with you mostly Chef Medeski. It was too big and bulky to be carried anywhere, it was used as a paper weight at work everyone was looking at it. $200 paper weight..um....

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe Scott Needs something more upfront & forceful like the hornet?

....and, I got a Hornet instead. I didn't want to rave about it too much, since Ray doesn't pay me commissions.... but it was one of the best money spent so far on the rig. I had great expectations from it (being a $150 upgrade from Bithead!) and I made sure I can return it. Great expectations usually come with some disappointments. But not this time, it exceeded what I was expecting, amazing.

The most prominent thing I noticed was the baseline noise. You can clearly hear the hissing from Bithead when it's on; the Hornet was dead silent. Guess $150 was worth it afterall.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by judestudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(it doesn't have a wall charger AND it doesn't take rechargeable batteries),

Mine works fine with rechargeable batteries.

Quote:

The most prominent thing I noticed was the baseline noise. You can clearly hear the hissing from Bithead when it's on; the Hornet was dead silent. Guess $150 was worth it afterall.

I don't have any hiss at all.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine works fine with rechargeable batteries.

I don't have any hiss at all.

I was told while rechargeables will work, they either don't give enough power for good sound quality or won't last long (see review). It was quite an old review, but as far as I know, that still applies to the 2006 versions. They said "Good rechargeable ones will work but not produce quite the same output voltage as standard alkaline jobs".

I had IEMs at low gain and there were clearly hisses (there's a difference when you listen to it "on" and "off"), AND the quacking click each time I turn on/off the Bithead with my earphones on was very annoying too. All those weren't such a big deal at first, I thought all amps do the same and it's suppose to be so. When I got the Hornet and plugged in the same IEMs, it was the first time I notice the hisses from Bithead was THERE, and I was so scared to turn on/off the Hornet with my earphones on, coz the Bithead really started to hurt my ears, but it was dead silent all along. To an extent you won't be able to tell if it's on or off through the very sensitive IEMs, it's THAT quiet!

I'm not saying the Bithead is not a good amp, afterall, that and the Hornet are at different price levels, and it's not quite apple-to-apple. If I've strictly $200 to spend on an amp, I would have kept it, I guess.

Dec 2, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by judestudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not saying the Bithead is not a good amp, afterall, that and the Hornet are at different price levels, and it's not quite apple-to-apple.

True, and they also serve different purposes. I had the opportunity to compare the Hornet and the then-current BitHead at a meet in 2005. I actually strongly preferred the BitHead for use with my laptop. The onboard sound of the laptop I was using at the time was terrible, and since the Hornet only had an analog input, it really highlighted the shortcomings of the laptop's onboard sound. Out of the line-out on my iriver, on the other hand, I preferred the Hornet. Since my primary purpose of getting an amp was for use with the laptop, I chose the BitHead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back