Just Got My Audio Technica ATHA700's .. BUT...
Jan 4, 2008 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Speedemonv12

Head-Fier
My Audio Technica ATHA700's just arrived today and they are sweet!.. But I am having second thoughts. They are the best set of headphones that I have ever listened to, but they are HUGE! I could not tell that they were this big from the pictures, and none of the audio stores around me had them in stock.

So, anyways, i'm going to have to return these and get something smaller. I love the sound and the bass of the A700's. What headphones are smaller than these but have a lot of the same qualities? A lil more bass would not be a problem. I would like to keep them at the same price, under 150, and preferably not Grado's!

Any ideas?

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 33
Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 80ohm
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 33
You can wait for one to show up in the FS forum and save some $$$ if you don't mind buying used.

Jan 5, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 33
The 770's aren't exactly small either....

How small are you looking for? Are you trying to downgrade to something smaller than a fullsize circumaural design? Or is it that you just dont like the sort of "Super frame" on top of the A700? (The double loop that holds them together) If you're just looking for a more portable headphone like a supra-aural, I hear that the K81DJ are good closed phones with a lot of bass to them.

If you just want a slightly smaller circumaural phone, tbh I would just try to stick it out with the A700's. Chances are if you aren't happy with the size of them, you won't be happy with a 770 or many other full size cans. Also, if you already love the sound of the A700, that is by far the most important part of the headphone
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 33
the dt770 are much smaller however than the at model without being small. if you have a small head like me, you will find your head just going through those bloody 3d hinges. the beyers hug any head perfectly and are the perfect phone for many uses. they are tough: survive minus 30 degree winters fine with many bumps and bruises issued as well as provide ample isolation to enjoy music at not too loud of volumes. they are wonderful for movies : the at are as well.

they are smaller and much more sturdy. they are comfortable. the akg model 81 are great for what they do but are not hifi in the same way that the dt770 or the atah700 are. i too moved from at to beyer and well... it was a great move for many reasons.

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 33
The 770s might be smaller than the ATs, but they are still full-sized headphones. If they were a T-shirt, the ATs would be XL, the 770s L, the Grados M, the K81s S and PX-100s XS....just as a reference.

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 33
what about the M50s... i don't know if they're much smaller than the A700s though.... i heard these have about the same sound sig as the A700s, with some nice bass...

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 33
If physical size is as important as sound I'm thinking the AKG K81 also.
I'd encourage you to try and hear the 770s if you can.

And although not everyone here agrees, I'm a big fan of the Senn 280pros too. Especially given you can get them for under $100.
They aren't pretty either though..

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the M50s... i don't know if they're much smaller than the A700s though.... i heard these have about the same sound sig as the A700s, with some nice bass...

comparing M50s with W100s.

it's still big but for me it's acceptable.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 33
Sennheiser's hd600s go for it...maybe?.....not cheap/small but bassy...or...px100s...small and bassy and not much bread....portable too? How 'bout IEMs? Ety er4p or er4s?

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 33
ya.. i looked at the sennheisers, but i need a closed headphone...
here is what I have come up with

AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-SJ3 Portable Headphones - ATH-SJ3

Denon USA | AH-D1000

Equation Audio RP-21 Stereo Headphones - Bananas.com

AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones - ATH-ES7

Amazon.com: AKG Closed-Back Design Studio Monitoring Headphones - K271STUDIO: Electronics

I tried to pick out ones that are portable, and smaller than the A700's. I just threw in the AKG's to see what you guys said. Out of these, what do you think would sound the most like the A700's, or give me better quality? Also, do any of these have more bass than the A700's? Which would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back