Just got my ATH-A900! Help please!
May 2, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bass and treble at 50% above 0db? remember not to EQ in the +ve, always EQ in the -ve. Reduce the mids if you want more bass and treble and leave those at 0db.

And trust me, if you come to a conclusion that these headphones are no good with an Xfi card with CMSS and EQ and EAX for listening to music, that is not being fair to the headphones.

If he EQ in the -ve only he would have to raise the volume up. In the end he would end up with same result. Or am I wrong? Here is an example with shots from foobar2000 EQ.

Pic 1 -ve Here I have to turn the volume up.

Pic 2 +ve Volume stays at 55% (my normal listening level)

Can someone give me a real explanation of why EQ in the - is better because I don't get it.

May 2, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #17 of 25
You are going past 0dB, which means you are adding sound other than what your computer's sound card can tolerate. That sound will become distortation because your computer cannot output that sound past 0dB--it is too loud.

Dropping the sound is better, simply because you are reducing the volume of certain frequencies, therefore you aren't really going past the limit of 0dB.

May 2, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #18 of 25
Ok thanks for clearing that up. Now I understand why they have "auto level" button in Foobar2000. I'll just have to raise the volume up by a few %.

May 2, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by donutboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm playing music with 24-bit crystalization, EQ, EAX and CMSS (I dont quite like the SVM cause it really lowers the range and intensity level of all the different sounds from my music), but with a lower volume. Got Bass and Treble at 50% and volume at 60-70%.

TURN OFF your 24-bit crystalization, EQ, EAX (why do you even need EAX to listen to music?), and CMSS. They add distortion to sound. This includes Bass Boost, Equaliser, and set Bass & Treble to 50% (default level). Then choose 2.1 Speakers for your Speaker Setting. I hope you are plugging the A900s into the soundcard directly and not through any speakers. This is what it should look like (except the volume, since I'm using an amp):

Audigy%20Settings.jpg

You need to train yourself to listen with those settings, and not with mega inflated bass you are probably used to with your car speaker system. The music might sound really bad at first, but you'll eventually get used to it. Also a simple test to see if you are listening at volumes too high is to give the headphones to a friend and see if she/he thinks its too loud. If he/she can't listen to it at that volume for 5seconds, then you really need to lower your volumes and listening habits
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #22 of 25
Do you always set master volume at 100% when using amp?

May 2, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #23 of 25
Well you really should be connecting it to a DAC or through RCA, but for those like me who hasn't got one (and soon will be :p), we plug it in the speaker out. Volume should be 100% because otherwise you will be amping a lower volume signal from the soundcard, which will then increase distortion and noise.

May 2, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #24 of 25
Thanks for that info. I am getting Xenos 1HA EPC soon and will be connecting it to Audigy 2 ZS.

May 2, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #25 of 25
Thanks for the tips Stephen, I'm enjoying these headphones alot more now. I listen to music using the audio-creation mode without all the added features. It took a while to get used to it and actually enjoy the music, but it's working now. The tip about the +db really helps. I figured with the setup I had before, way too much noise was being pumped into the headphones from the sound card. (bass increase, 24-bit crystalizer also adds in more noise) and I guess that made the headphones unable to play well.

I got wave volume at 100% and its just the master volume that I lower. I'm just curious for those of you who have X-Fi sound cards, there is a setting for front L/R, center, rear L/R, top L/R and side L/R, do you turn those options on too when you play your music? It does make the headphones play louder.. Just curious how turning those on add anything to your enjoyment of music.

Anyways, now, I'm planning on getting a set of headphones for work. I just gotta decide on which model and whether to get the art, digital or dynamic headphones. A high ohm and a high quality amp would go nicely too. Maybe another pair of 150 gb raptor for raid 0 too... the list goes on and on... (living it like a true audiophile n hedonist)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back