Just got my Alessandro MS-2; 1st impression: so-so ??
Sep 18, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #61 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
And Jahn: if your reading, don't discount those MS-2s compared the MS-pros, there are soooo close in my view.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Tony - My MS-2's arrived earlier this week!

They've had about 50 hours of continuous play since they arrived.

I went out and bought some Senn pads straight away - I'm listening to the MS-2/Senn combination right now to a mix of music - James Horner's House of Sand and Fog (sad and beautiful orchestral) Verve Remixed 1 & 2, Hotel Costes 6, and some Dianna Krall which I was lucky enough to receive the other day.

The MS-2's and my Beyer 880's are soooo different.

I think one difference between the MS-2's and the MS-Pro's worth mentioning is the weight of the drivers - given the range of movement the Grado arrangement allows, the heavier (though not very heavy) aluminium drivers do move around if you lean forward or back. The MS-Pro's drivers probably don't move around as much. I notice you commented the other day that you end up using the Pro's when you listen in bed - is that the reason?

Cheers

Sep 18, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #62 of 84
Puzzle: great news! You now have the best of both worlds, the DT880s for soundstage and more relaxed presence, and the Alessandros for impact and in your head "life". I bet that Diana Krall sounds great on both cans!

But tell me your thoughts on these cans. With some 50 hours up you'll have a few interesting opinions... and I'm guessing no regrets?

Funny enough I've given up listening to headphones in bed as the time on the bedroom stereo is sooo convenient. My feeling is that etys are the best bet for bedtime though.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Sep 18, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #63 of 84
I have been thinking about getting a set of ms-2 or if I can scrape the money together a set of ms-pro. But I am not so sure. I really do love the sound of the RS-1, the revealing nature. But I don't want to splash out on a another set of cans and maybe think what's all the fuss about. Don't get me wrong the senn hd600 is a great headphone but after listening to the RS-1's and then using the senn's I find them rather dull. can anyone tell me the difference between the RS-1 and the PS-1, I see a lot of people have them but I don't have a clue what they are!!!! Are they suppose to be the next level up from the RS-1 in sound quality or is it just a "limited edition" gimmick rubbish?

Sep 18, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #64 of 84
Tony,

No regrets so far.

But I recognise a behaviour in myself that I'm sure is helped by the burn-in period. When I sit down with a new whatever, there is a certain anticipation or expectation of... I'm gonna be blown away by the quality of this or the huge improvement!

Then comes the deflating... I'm not being blown away! Damn!

A couple of days later, when you've settled down a little, maybe even resigned yourself to being somewhat underwhelmed by the new toy, that's when you suddenly find yourself... enjoying the thing. I'm not saying that 'burning-in' or 'loosening-up' of headphones doesn't exist, I'm sure it happened on my Beyer 880's after 72 hours or so of continuous play, but added to it is not focussing too closely on the new thing (cans, cdp, television, amp - whatever).

In a week or so I hope to put down some thoughts comparing the two radically different styles of the MS-2's and my Beyer 880's.

BTW, has anyone noticed how covering the back of the Alessandro drivers with your hands instantly turns the 'phone filter' effect on. I've never heard cans so affected by closing the back up - likewise they are very different sounding just millimetres further or closer to your ears - which is why the bowls, flats, comfys each have their outspoken defenders I guess.

cheers

Sep 18, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #65 of 84
Puzzle: same experience for me: MS-pros from underwhelmed to impressed in ten hours...

Etys were the same. MS-2s were fine straight away but I was trained by the experience with the pros.

Funny enough the only different experience I had was the portapros. Loved them for the first few weeks. Then the bass got to me. Still think they are good value but not "stayers" in my opinion. Best mobile cans for bass if you are looking for lottsa low end omph cheap though.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Sep 18, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #67 of 84
yep if you cup your hands on the outside of the MS-2s you'll definitely hear muting - they are very open cans and are sensitive to anything "closing" them up.

speaking of closing, you should keep your A900s. one open can and one closed can is the way to go, and what i'm enjoying right now.

Sep 18, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #68 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok

but then, its not a big problem at all, adjusting headphones to your head will only take like 2-3 seconds, so no problem.
im just a bit concerned whether over the time, those bar sliders that hold the drivers will become too loose and won't hold still..... can anyone whos been using their grados for many years confirm this ?

Had my 225s a number of years and wear on the slide bars hasn't been a problem. If you're the only one using them you could do what I did with my sr60s and fit a rubber o ring on the shaft which prevents it sliding or drill the plastic holder and fit a small(say about 3mm) screw, but the o ring mod is the easiest. I only had a problem with the 60s as I was using them while working around the house through a disc man and constant movement did cause the sliders to move.

Sep 18, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #69 of 84
its mostly me who will use the headphones... i might try to put the rubberband around or something.. but they might look ugly ? hehe...
they should come out with some sort of locking mechanism for their next product...

what i find surprising is, so many people complained that their grados/alessandro phones are too tight for their heads... i dont have small heads but i never find them tight at all.... weird..

Sep 19, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #70 of 84
DJ: the quality of the "holders" is in fact the big difference between the pros and the MS-2s. So far our MS-2s are holding up okay but Snufkin did say that araldite could be our friend long term...

TonyAAA

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #71 of 84
i dont wanna glue them for good... too pretty...
icon10.gif

maybe in the future when the sliders are really really loose... i will glue them by then.

Sep 19, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #72 of 84
Quote:

i dont have small heads

I CAN SEE IT IN YOUR AVATAR!

HI
wink.gif
happy to see you got the ms2 , i was thinking about it too .
I think they are exactly the opposite side of world respect the a900 .
Btw how's your c542 going on ? I lastly stepped in the shanling s100 mkII and dropped the nad

Sep 19, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #73 of 84
boodi,
damn it... why you had to bring up the shanling ?? as if my wallet is not beat up enough... hehe..
icon10.gif

the one i want is CD-T100C or CD-T80C, but i wont be able to afford those anyway...
tongue.gif

Did you swap your 542 with your current shanling ? any big difference ?

i reckon if you got an MS-pro or MS-2, you would be pretty much done already... you'd get one of the best from senns and one of the best from grados.

back to the MS2 topic,
yeah, currently enjoying it... as snufkin told me, to give them 10 hours burning time... i think the total running time for my MS2 now is around 20 hours or so... i cant really notice the difference when it was like 10 hours or so and now...
dont really care... they sound good now, thats the most important thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

although for some reason, i dont know why, when i am using MS2, i tend to turn up the volume a little bit... well, actually it makes me like to listen to them loud... for some reason, i find this cans are more suitable when you use them louder than usual.
maybe its just me or someone else is like me as well ?

and this MS2 also for some reason makes me wanna listen to spiderbait's black betty more often than usual...

why ??

hell, as a matter of fact, i AM going to listen to it now and come back later after the song.
icon10.gif

Sep 19, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #74 of 84
Quote:

boodi,
damn it... why you had to bring up the shanling ?? as if my wallet is not beat up enough... hehe..
icon10.gif

orphsmile.gif
common head-fier problem here

Quote:

Did you swap your 542 with your current shanling ? any big difference ?

i reckon if you got an MS-pro or MS-2, you would be pretty much done already... you'd get one of the best from senns and one of the best from grados.

I'm still hot-rodding the shanling , too soon to say .Anyway I can say I'm VERY happy for having it here .

as for the thread ..I'have been a bit thorn on wheter to get some 225s' or the rs1 . lastly i falled short off some 225 sales on the forum , in other case they would have been yet here raging
smily_headphones1.gif

there's something that keep me away from alessandros ..probably I'm not searching some more-natural-then-grados sounding hp

Sep 19, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #75 of 84
as far as i know, regardless how 'natural' the alessandros are reputed, they still pertain those grado's main characteristics... they still have the punch, thats what im sure of. and for the highs, i honestly dont want them to be more than what im having now; might be too fatiguing for me (read: SR-325).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back