Just got my 600's now what?
Dec 4, 2003 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pe3046

New Head-Fier
All I can say is that I am complety blown away at the difference in warmth and sibillance between these and the 575's I had before them. Now a few questions...what first?

Current Source-

Denon DCM-560 changer at work
Sony DVP-S7700 with EAD DSP7000/Monarchy DTI/Cardas Lightening at home or Sony TAE/TAN 9000ES combo

headphone out on both sounds good, much better than on my dual g4 (g5 sounds better) at work. The sony seems to have the better ability to handle the ohm rating of the 600's, any 7700 owners wish to comment on this?

S0

What should my first upgrade be? Wallet has already been introduced to audioaphilia via my 2 channel system...

Cardas upgrade cable in used range $100ish
Headphone AMP $200 (will this be better at this price range then current cd players I have?) something like the headroom bit (usb dac/headphone amp to improve the situation at work) or a tube like asl

Or

Sell the 600's and buy the 650's with plans to use stock cable?

Thanks for all your input in advance,

Patrick

Dec 4, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 5
Use the HD600's with the stock cable for a while with the 9000ES and buy an amp. If the headphone jack is not bad use it and get the cable upgrade and save for a really good amp. Then once you have the good amp and the cable get the HD650. Now your ready to save up get your new source. I've heard the 9000ES(If its the sacd and dvd player one) and its not that bad of a CDP. Good on SACD. If you want a source first get one of the Shanling tube CDP's and buy some W.E. 396 tubes for the headphone section and you can save for an amp to go with the Shanling. The headphone section is pretty good and drives the HD600 and HD650 to more than loud volumes with good sound. Whatever you get aim high so you don't have to do it again for awhile. Have fun.

Dec 4, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 5
I would also advise holding off on the cable and plowing as much $$ as you can in a better amp.

Dec 4, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Yes, the 9000es is amp and preamp combo. Has anyone here got the aac decoding to work with mp4 files? Another post on the aussie 9000 board was able to use a raw output from their dvd player and decode the aac files on the tae. Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back