Just got MD33s!!
Feb 9, 2005 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mchurgin

100+ Head-Fier
Just plugged my newest canal phones into a 4th gen iPod. Right off the bat I tried the 4 pole directly into the iPod and no problem it works fine. No sound difference with the 3 pole extension cord. It is however in my opinion too short unless you are lying in bed to use w/o the extension.

If you check some of my previous posts you will se that I have tried almost every canal phone out there and for various reasons have had trouble with all of them.

I would describe my sound preferences as liking the Grado sr60 and Koss 35. Warm and smooth with good bass but not bloated.

Ety e4: Could not get a great fit all the time: Not enough bass for me.
Ety e6: Terrible from the iPod
Shure e5c: Great sound Loved them to death but could not stay in and became very uncomfortable over a short period of time
Shure e3: Too high, no bass
Sony: Ex 50, 71 : Very comfortable but mutted sound, bloated bass, you know the drill.
Apple in ears w/ex71 tips: Better than the Sony's but no mids.
Shure e2: OK but I thought a very undistinguishable sound and not too comfortable for me.

After some contemplation I figured whats another $40. Well I guess that I have to agree with most people who like these phones. They have a smooth warm sound. Very similar to Grado or the KSC35 but w/o the wider soundstage which is to be expected. They are very small, look pretty cool with no distinguisable company name or logos. Comfort wise they are equal to or slightly better than the Sony EX series, which almost all agree are very very comfortable to wear for long periods. Better isolation than the Sony also, Slightly less than the Shure E2.

For overall sound out of a portable and comfort and isloation and Price these are definetly WINNERS!!! I have not seen or recall anyone mentioning how small these canal phones really are.

If I can find any drawback it is the extension cord, but I can live with that, considering all of the positives. The extension cord does not seem as bad as on the Ex71. It might be hanging in a different location. It does not seem to pull on the phones like the Ex71 did.

Can anyone tell me why the 4 pole works with my ipod?

Feb 9, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchurgin
Can anyone tell me why the 4 pole works with my ipod?

I seem to remember someone else saying that the 4-pole worked...I think it has something to do with the headphone jack itself....maybe the terminals are aligned slightly different than others...try jiggling it a bit and I think you will notice that one of the channels will cut out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back