Just got Klipsch Promedia 2.1's.. GAAAH!
Feb 17, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #16 of 35
ProMedia 2.1's are great for games and movies, especially on a normal PC setup. For music it's hit or miss, but they really are good for PC speakers.

To be honest, I never experienced overly bloated bass with these ProMedia's. I guess it's all subwoofer location and listening levels.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing. I think many of us have been there too.

Yeah, been there.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 35
I have the Promedia 2.1 setup in my office, and for their intended purpose, I think they are fine. I don't do any critical listening with them, just background music while I work. It's not really fair to compare the sound of the Promedia with the sound from decent headphones (especially headphones that cost 2X or 3X more).

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Promedia 2.1 setup in my office, and for their intended purpose, I think they are fine. I don't do any critical listening with them, just background music while I work. It's not really fair to compare the sound of the Promedia with the sound from decent headphones (especially headphones that cost 2X or 3X more).

Objectively speaking though, I don't think the $150 MSRP Promedias can even compare to $20 MSRP KSC-75's. They just play a lot louder.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 35
I have ProMedia 2.1's and they are good for movies and games but for music I use my headphones. I also have Monsoon Planar speakers and they have better highs but the ProMedia have better mids. I think I'll get myself some studio monitors one of these days, I don't like the subs much you get with computer speakers as none of them are true subs and they all sound boomy. I've heard Swan and M-Audio have good studio monitor speakers that are not too expensive.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Objectively speaking though, I don't think the $150 MSRP Promedias can even compare to $20 MSRP KSC-75's. They just play a lot louder.

I don't know about that...

And again, you're comparing PC speakers to Headphones. Very, very different worlds. If you ask me, ProMedia 2.1's are quite fullfilling speakers for computer uses. The best part about them is they sound decent so you're not slaved to using headphones every time you use the computer.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Put the KSC-75s about 10 feet apart on your desk and tell me how they sound while you sit 6 feet away. Apples and oranges. That was my point.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, I never experienced overly bloated bass with these ProMedia's. I guess it's all subwoofer location and listening levels.

I agree. I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that under desks where most have to keep them creates a bass trap effect.

Feb 18, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that under desks where most have to keep them creates a bass trap effect.

It could very well be. I don't have any space under my desk, so I keep the subwoofer on my desk.

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #25 of 35
Yes, my sub is under my desk now and it really makes it sound more boomy compared to when I had my PC in a different location and had the sub out from under the desk in a more open environment.

Feb 18, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

X2. KSC75 is comparable to sr80 in term of sound quality and Promedia just sound like POS to my ears, totally wrong for music listening. If there is anything good to say about Promedia its that their 'one note' bass sounds great for explosions
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. KSC75 is comparable to sr80 in term of sound quality and Promedia just sound like POS to my ears, totally wrong for music listening. If there is anything good to say about Promedia its that their 'one note' bass sounds great for explosions
rolleyes.gif

Again, this one note bass will be attributed to sub location and room shape. I've run FR sweeps on my ProMedia's and didn't notice any over powering frequencies. I also have a very open space and the subwoofer is on my desk, so it doesn't trap the bass like many rooms would with under the desk placement.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #28 of 35
I have been an audio technician/sound engineer, and a musician for over 40 years now. Yes, I'm an old fart :>) If you will bare with me for a few paragraphs, I will try to pass on some knowledge I have gained over the years.

You might not know this, but the Promedia 2.1 Klipsch speakers are a favorite in many pro recording studios around the country. We use them during finalizing to test a mix through similated high end home audio systems. The promedias are that good. I use them in my home studio for the same reason, but I have also used them for complete final mixes. A year ago, I mixed an entire Christmas album through the promedias while the power amp that drives my unpowered studio monitors was getting repaired. They worked beautifully for this, and even surprised me.
The trick with the promedias is EQing. These speakers have a very flat response if a little minor EQing is applied. There simply is nothing else out there in this price range that can match these speakers, in a 2.1 setup, in my opinion.

There is a stigma out there about using high end computer speakers such as the Klipsch promedias for home studios, or as high end PC speakers. Many folks will be advised to buy studio monitors. In reality, studio monitors, even very high end sets, are not good at all for performing, and listening. They basically are for mixdowns, where unexagerated sound is prefered. The truth is, any high quality speakers can be used as studio monitors if they can be EQ'd for a flat response. While performing and/or listening, a more enhanced sound is not only preferred, it is required if you are to simulate the base, the crash of a cymbal, or the thump of a base drum, in a live performance setting. What studio monitors put out, is anything but a realisted live performance similation, and they weren't meant to. If you go to Yamaha's website, and lookup their top recording workstations, guess what they recommend, and sell for them? A 2.1 system, with a 40 watt sub. The reason I mention this, is because the promedia's ability to similate both studio monitors when flat, or live performances when the base is boosted through the sub, makes them very versitile.

I ran across your article while browsing the web, and wanted to add a viewpoint on these speakers from somebody who works with them for a living. One important thing I have learned over the years - any speaker system, no matter how expensive or how accurate they may be technically, will get different responses from different people. You can take the highest quality speakers available, and I guarantee you that some will love them, and others will hate them. This is even true with studio monitors. You can buy three different brands of the best out there, the top of the line models, and all three speakers will have a different sound quality to them. They are all flat as a pancake, and clean as a whistle. Technically, they are the same, but yet, they sound different. Which speaker is the most realistic sounding? They all are! That is because what you think is great, may be different than what I think is great. So these promedias you are knocking, probably do not sound good to you. To somebody else, they might be the best small speaker system they have ever heard. Since NO speaker can replicate an exact copy of a recording, then it comes down to personal taste.

Hope this helps anybody out there wondering about what speakers are best to use for a certain purpose. Look a the specs first. Make sure they are technically up to the job. After that, it's all up to your own ears to decide what's best, not somebody elses.

P.S. I have spent many hours of my life wearing headphones as a musician/engineer. I am developing Tinnitus now because of it. Please be careful with headphones. It takes very little to damage your ears while wearing phones. The bad part is, you won't know your damaging them, until the damage is done. It cannot be reversed. Once the ears are damaged, you will live with a ringing in your ears the rest of your life. There is no cure, no remedy. Use headphones sparingly.

BigMike

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been an audio technician/sound engineer, and a musician for over 40 years now. Yes, I'm an old fart :>) If you will bare with me for a few paragraphs, I will try to pass on some knowledge I have gained over the years.

You might not know this, but the Promedia 2.1 Klipsch speakers are a favorite in many pro recording studios around the country. We use them during finalizing to test a mix through similated high end home audio systems. The promedias are that good. I use them in my home studio for the same reason, but I have also used them for complete final mixes. A year ago, I mixed an entire Christmas album through the promedias while the power amp that drives my unpowered studio monitors was getting repaired. They worked beautifully for this, and even surprised me.
The trick with the promedias is EQing. These speakers have a very flat response if a little minor EQing is applied. There simply is nothing else out there in this price range that can match these speakers, in a 2.1 setup, in my opinion.

There is a stigma out there about using high end computer speakers such as the Klipsch promedias for home studios, or as high end PC speakers. Many folks will be advised to buy studio monitors. In reality, studio monitors, even very high end sets, are not good at all for performing, and listening. They basically are for mixdowns, where unexagerated sound is prefered. The truth is, any high quality speakers can be used as studio monitors if they can be EQ'd for a flat response. While performing and/or listening, a more enhanced sound is not only preferred, it is required if you are to simulate the base, the crash of a cymbal, or the thump of a base drum, in a live performance setting. What studio monitors put out, is anything but a realisted live performance similation, and they weren't meant to. If you go to Yamaha's website, and lookup their top recording workstations, guess what they recommend, and sell for them? A 2.1 system, with a 40 watt sub. The reason I mention this, is because the promedia's ability to similate both studio monitors when flat, or live performances when the base is boosted through the sub, makes them very versitile.

I ran across your article while browsing the web, and wanted to add a viewpoint on these speakers from somebody who works with them for a living. One important thing I have learned over the years - any speaker system, no matter how expensive or how accurate they may be technically, will get different responses from different people. You can take the highest quality speakers available, and I guarantee you that some will love them, and others will hate them. This is even true with studio monitors. You can buy three different brands of the best out there, the top of the line models, and all three speakers will have a different sound quality to them. They are all flat as a pancake, and clean as a whistle. Technically, they are the same, but yet, they sound different. Which speaker is the most realistic sounding? They all are! That is because what you think is great, may be different than what I think is great. So these promedias you are knocking, probably do not sound good to you. To somebody else, they might be the best small speaker system they have ever heard. Since NO speaker can replicate an exact copy of a recording, then it comes down to personal taste.

Hope this helps anybody out there wondering about what speakers are best to use for a certain purpose. Look a the specs first. Make sure they are technically up to the job. After that, it's all up to your own ears to decide what's best, not somebody elses.

P.S. I have spent many hours of my life wearing headphones as a musician/engineer. I am developing Tinnitus now because of it. Please be careful with headphones. It takes very little to damage your ears while wearing phones. The bad part is, you won't know your damaging them, until the damage is done. It cannot be reversed. Once the ears are damaged, you will live with a ringing in your ears the rest of your life. There is no cure, no remedy. Use headphones sparingly.

BigMike

Well put...and by the way, it just so happens that I'm selling my Promedia 2.1 (with an extra control pod) on the FS forum...shameless plug!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #30 of 35
BigMike, thanks for a great post. I think EQ'ing is the key to many playback-related problems with both speakers and headphones. It makes much more sense (for your time and wallet) to use an equalizer than to conduct an endless search for the right combination of cables, amplifiers, and DACs to get the sound you are looking for from your speakers/headphones.

That being said...the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers suck, even with EQing. I've been there and I've tried others. Now, granted, they are probably the best "computer" speakers you can get at Best Buy or Fry's. But one can do a LOT better if you're willing to increase the size of your speakers just a little bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've also developed some minor tinnitus over the years, and perhaps some of it is due to headphone listening. I've found a pair of speakers that, to my ears, sounds better than any headphones I've ever tried (and I've tried some good ones, believe me), so I find myself using my headphones very infrequently these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back