Just got JBL's LSR305s! Slight Hiss...
Apr 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SDub

New Head-Fier
So I just upgraded my speakers from 12 year old Edifier (target purchased) 2.1 system to a glorious 2.0 LSR305 set up. Holy. Cow. IT SOUNDS SO GOOD.

I had a few issues with electrical noise on the power line emitting from the speakers, which was solved by placing the speakers on their own dedicated outlet, so the "hiss" I'm referring to in the title is not that kind of buzz.

However, whenever the speakers are turned on and at ANY volume (i.e. hiss does not increase when volume does), a very slight hiss emits from both of them. I can imagine this to get pretty annoying when I'm sitting at my computer desk simply reading an article or anything that doesn't require sound. I've googled around and tried to find what other people have done:

1. Isolate the speakers to their own power source : Check
2. Use insulated speaker wire: Check (using insulated 1/4" TRS split to a single 1/8")
3. Get a sound card/audio interface: No Check

I am currently using my on board sound which packs a Realtek ALC892, full specs here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme3/

Would something like an ASUS DG/DGX help my situation at all? Also, side question: these sound cards claim to be amplifiers. Would that effect my speakers negatively since they're already powered?

I don't think I need an audio interface simply because I'm not looking to record. The only benefit I see them having is providing XLR inputs for my speakers which have better electrical noise cancellation than TRS (right?).

Thanks for any help, guys.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 16
^^ Yeah. That's the right approach.

We need to identify which component or combination of components produces the hiss.

Disconnect the speakers from any source. If it still hisses at your usual listening level then it's the speakers.

If it only happens when the computer is connected then it's either the computer or the combination of the two.

Eliminate the computer by connecting to the speakers with your phone, or via bluetooth. You get the idea?

I suspect we already know the most likely culprit but it's pointless going any further until you confirm the above has been done and what is the result.

Don't worry. This will be cheap and easy to fix. Unless the speakers are dud. In which case they will have to go back.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 16
Don't worry. This will be cheap and easy to fix. Unless the speakers are dud. In which case they will have to go back.

I am unable to get to my speakers immediately, but I can later today. I wanted to respond while you were maybe still online.

If the speakers aren't a dud, what is the problem? And what is the cheap and easy fix? I am curious! :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 16
If you unplug the inputs and still hear a hiss I think it's either the speakers or you still have a power problem. I'd try plugging them into a different socket, maybe try only plugging in one at a time as well, and probably unplugging/turning off other devices (i.e. the computer) in your apt/house to see if anything makes a difference. 

I had strange and annoying hissing and buzzing issues in my home theater. I thought I had a probelm with my subwoofer and sent it back for replacement only to finally figure out I still had a power issue after I thought I had solved it (I got rid of the buzz but still had hissing, even when the audio inputs were disconnected). It only went away after I spent quite a significant amount of time switching around plugs, sockets, multiple ac filters, messing with socket grounding and had the cable guys come fix the ground in the outdoor cable box.

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 16
Alright, tested the speakers, here are my results:

1. Hisses no matter what's the input

2. Tried multiple outlets throughout my house, still emits a hiss. 

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it seems like it's louder than it should be. I dunno. Anyone with LSR305's can verify for me that there's a slight hiss in their speakers? I have a buddy with KRK's and he said he has a very nominal hiss. 

EDIT: Both speakers do this, so I doubt it's a problem with them. Either this is the way they ship or there's some funky going on with my entire electrical system in my house. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 16
Any powered speakers/amp hiss at close range. OCD dude!
http://www.cnet.com/news/jbl-lsr305-resetting-sound-expectations-for-desktop-speakers/
Each LSR305 is subjected to a grueling power test, where the speaker plays at the maximum volume level for 100 hours. That weeds out any possible weaknesses in the production units.

One small fault was a very small amount of hiss/noise coming from the LSR305s, but once music was playing you won't notice the noise. Many other self-powered speakers have noise issues . The LSR305's noise is less noticeable than most.

http://jimalfredson.com/?p=335
So are there any negatives? Just one that I’ve noticed so far; they are a bit noisy. An audible low-level white noise hiss is present at all times and does not change regardless of the position of the master volume knobs. It isn’t terribly loud but it’s constant.

http://www.cnet.com/news/paradigms-powerhouse-desktop-speaker/
I did notice one small problem as soon as I hooked up the A2s to my desktop audio system: there was audible "hiss" coming from the tweeters. I thought at first that it might be coming from my Mac Mini computer, so I disconnected it, and the noise remained. Apparently, the noise is generated by the A2's internal amplifiers. I was only 30 inches away from the speakers, and when I played rock music the hiss/noise was drowned out by the tunes. The noise was audible when I played some types of acoustic music. Another nitpick: the blue LED just below the woofer is distractingly bright.

Thats why many speakers have front cloth covers to dampen abit hiss/noise.

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Alright, thanks for the links cdsa35000! 

One gripe: When it's plugged into my PC there is a weird clicking distortion sound. It goes away with other sources. Does this suggest that I may need a new soundcard or something else? 

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 16
It probably the famous groundloop noises, pc clicking/hum noises changes with mouse movement or cpu stress.

Lift the ground pin of the jbl speaker with prong adapter.
Or try plugging into the same of other outlet-line than pc, if its a laptop then use battery.

Only if the speakers can use the balanced input will be better groundloop resistant but probably only HQ studio soundcard have balanced outputs.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 16
http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/banish-ground-loop-hum

fetch

Google: ground lift prong

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 16
Is this harmful at all to the speaker? I feel like the ground exists for a reason and to bypass it may have harmful effects. 

I have one, just used it and my problem is gone. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 16
Some people say using cheater plugs is risky. Many don't worry about it.

However, it is the reason that old houses get rewired to three way sockets. Having the ground is a plus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Is this harmful at all to the speaker? I feel like the ground exists for a reason and to bypass it may have harmful effects. 

I have one, just used it and my problem is gone. 

Its SAFE if the casing is from NOT CONDUCTIVE METAL!

Is the speakercase consist of metal? in that case if something defect as power short/current is leaking through the metal casing and when human touch the casing will be shocked, but mostly the main power surge protection has kicked in already.

And those speaker use "low power" 127 W, where else kitchen apparatus magnetron/freezer/washmachine etc is using above1000 W and have metal casings then Grounding is necessary!

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 16
  Alright, tested the speakers, here are my results:

1. Hisses no matter what's the input

2. Tried multiple outlets throughout my house, still emits a hiss. 

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it seems like it's louder than it should be. I dunno. Anyone with LSR305's can verify for me that there's a slight hiss in their speakers? I have a buddy with KRK's and he said he has a very nominal hiss. 

EDIT: Both speakers do this, so I doubt it's a problem with them. Either this is the way they ship or there's some funky going on with my entire electrical system in my house. 

The LSR305s are known to "hiss" - it's related to their internal design. Many of the models (like mine) only hiss very slightly - you really need to put your ear close to the tweeter to hear it. Doesn't bother me at my usual listening distance, which is about 3 feet away.

However, some users have mentioned that theirs hiss a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back