Just got into vinyl!
Dec 7, 2009 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Got my Dual CS604 up and running when I took in to Custom Electronics and had them fit a Grado Black1 cartridge (Installation and setup was free, thanks CE) I can't really post any impressions, my preamp+amp+speakers are all bottlenecks (I know because the turntable sounded awesome at the store!) So once I get a nice phono preamp and a headphone amp, I'll be able to post real impressions. However, it still is quite enjoyable listening on my mediocre speaker setup (TT-->Yamaha RV-905--> Kenwood JL883). I've ordered a couple of albums on eBay and I'm surprised at how cheap it is. There are a ton of great albums to be had at $6 shipped a pop.

My plan now is to get a Cambridge Azur 5/640P and a Millett amp... probably a Starving Student if I can't score the Max I'm looking at.

That said, any tips for a vinyl beginner? Thanks.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Dual CS604 up and running ... any tips for a vinyl beginner? Thanks.

Congrats! I recently became interested in vinyl too. As for tips, just remember that the surface of the vinyl is the source of your sound quality. If dust gets on it or it gets scratched in any way it will lower the quality of your sound. Be careful with it and protect it.

Disclaimer: I am not an audio/sound equipment expert.

That said, I love music and hearing it at its best. My best sounding drivers are D-Jay's q-jays IEMs. After experiencing what music could be like with these, it was like getting a glimpse of a new divine world

Now everything but my IEMs are my bottleneck. I know that vinyl is one of the best sources for good sounding music, but where to go from there?. Is a pre-amp necessary to get the best sound? Will a tube amp be needed to keep the analog quality that the record player spins out?

I am also a vinyl beginner looking for tips. Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 10
Decent tube amp/preamp and a great record cleaning system--Discwasher or something similar. Tube amps can be had for 500--800--look at Pacific Valve website for a variety. One amp/preamp there can also house your iPod and drive efficient speakers and the turntable at a cost of about $750. I recommend tubes because they play the "warm" sound vinyl needs. For my mind, solid state and vnyl do NOT make good companions. And, as has been said, the vinyl itself needs to remain spotless. So even if you don't get a discwashing system at least get a recommended liquid/brush type system that a good vinyl store can supply

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 10
Well, I did a ton of reading up and obsessing before I got this rig up, so I could offer you a couple tips.

If by preamp you mean phono preamp or phono stage, yes, it is absolutely necessary for listening to vinyl. If you can get a nice integrated receiver, then you can use the phono stage in that. A lot of people like the performance to price factor of vintage receivers. I have heard good things in particular about the Pioneer SX series, but there are a lot of great vintage receivers out there, waiting to be grabbed up at $150 or less.

As far as amping, no, a tube amp shouldn't be necessary at all. As with digital, it all depends on your personal preferences. One might even say that a clean solid state design would be preferable to preserve the vinyl sound. I myself am leaning towards either a hybrid or solid state (headphone) amp.

Hope that helped.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

As with digital, it all depends on your personal preferences. One might even say that a clean solid state design would be preferable to preserve the vinyl sound. I myself am leaning towards either a hybrid or solid state (headphone) amp.

Hybrid sounds interesting.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

I can't really post any impressions, my preamp+amp+speakers are all bottlenecks (I know because the turntable sounded awesome at the store!)

I remember having my old BIC 980 repaired at Stereo Unlimited. It was pretty awesome. When they were testing the table, they placed it beside whatever the top-of-the-line VPI was at the time and ran it through about $50,000 worth of tube amps, preamps, and speakers. John said, quite confidently, "I doubt you will ever hear this turntable this good again."

Quote:

That said, any tips for a vinyl beginner? Thanks.

I would recommend a good phono amp asap. It does wonders.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 10
If you need a good phono preamp on the cheap, look for the Tcc-760 ot 750, it goes for less than 100$ and sounds pretty good.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 10
tube amp is NOT necessary, obviously. But consider this: the best vinyl was produced when?? 1950s, 1960s?? What was around then?? TUBES.

Now today vinyl is made in a variety of gram thicknesses so perhaps tubes are not necessary. But, for my money,if I want to listen tovintage vinyl I'm staying with the vintage "sound" of tubes" And I do have both tube and solid state equipment.

And if you're looking at a hybrid, you may want to ask what's in it. Most hybrids are hybrid because they have a tube stage in them

Good luck with the search

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 10
The Outlaw 2150RR had both a very nice phono stage and head amp. Also a good tuner. I love it and it replaced a 10K tube preamp and amp. Its an incredible bargain for less rhan 700. I paid 500 on sale at Outlaw.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 10
I think vintage vinyl records sounds pretty good out of a solid state amp. You still hear the vinyl magic, but I do prefer the sound of tubes more. I also think vintage records sound way better than current new issues. I have a couple radiohead new issues and I prefer the digital version to them. The TCC-750LC sounds pretty good, I haven't heard anything else so can't really compare.

From what I learned about vinyl so far, make sure you have everything aligned correctly. Including your table, tonearm, and cart. Make sure to set the right amount of tracking force and antiskate. And most importantly make sure the records are clean.

I'm about to pick up one of the vintage Discwasher cleaning kits. They're very popular and are quite effective for the price. Just stay away from the new ones made by RCA because I hear they aren't as good as the originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back