Just got HFI-580s...defective???
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 35
Maybe he just doesn't like em. Enjoyment of music, and hence our particular favourite sound signature is all subjective. Music, at the core, is subjective! Audio is subjective! Its all subjective!

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #17 of 35

Quote:
Maybe he just doesn't like em. Enjoyment of music, and hence our particular favourite sound signature is all subjective. Music, at the core, is subjective! Audio is subjective! Its all subjective!

Of course, but don't hear bass coming from HFi580 isn't subjective, there is a problem somewhere,lol.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #18 of 35
Perhaps he's not used to the 'type of bass' or that whole s-logic thing. Or maybe the s-logic thing just isn't for him. I read somewhere that the ultrasone head commeted about s-logic and how its pretty dividing. People either like it or they don't

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
Perhaps he's not used to the 'type of bass' or that whole s-logic thing. Or maybe the s-logic thing just isn't for him. I read somewhere that the ultrasone head commeted about s-logic and how its pretty dividing. People either like it or they don't

S-logic is for the soudstage, not really for bass perception imo. HFi580 has really good punchy bass, if he doesn't feel them, there is a problem imo. A defective unit, a bad symbiosis with his AV receiver?? I don't know.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #20 of 35
I dont know man...he said no bass....like, I gotta +6db just to get a light amount of bass. That is an insane eq for a known bassy headphone. There just has to be something wrong.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #21 of 35
S-logic is for the soudstage, not really for bass perception imo. HFi580 has really good punchy bass, if he doesn't feel them, there is a problem imo. A defective unit, a bad symbiosis with his AV receiver?? I don't know.

He said it didnt change with his laptop either...

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #22 of 35
The way it generates soundstage is by angling the drivers at your jaw. Changing the soundstage will change the perception of other sounds. You can't just perfectly tweak something without affecting anything else!

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
The way it generates soundstage is by angling the drivers at your jaw.

Ultrasones driver aren't oriented (if i understand your sentence?), they are cornered behind the MU plate.

Quote:
Changing the soundstage will change the perception of other sounds.

Its true, but i don't know if you have already heard the HFi580, but it would be deaf for not hear the bass imo.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #24 of 35
As much as I dislike the Ultrasone brand, I have to admit, no bass is weird for the HFI-580. I remember the DJ1s having a very nice tight bass response and it was definitely their most admirable quality. Unless the OP is a massive basshead or someone who wants very resonating bass, the HFI-580 should deliver the bass.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:
A few hundred hours?  Damn...seems like a pretty big commitment. I don't think B&H would take them back after a couple weeks.

Hahaha you don't NEED to be listening to them as they burn in.. 100 hours is just 4 straight days and to me that's more than enough for any headphone. Plug them into your receiver, pick a channel, and leave them running.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #26 of 35

Quote:

Hahaha you don't NEED to be listening to them as they burn in.. 100 hours is just 4 straight days and to me that's more than enough for any headphone. Plug them into your receiver, pick a channel, and leave them running.

Haha no, I know burn in doesn't mean listening, necessarily. I just meant that a few hundred hours, as suggested, is a couple weeks straight, so I have to commit to waitin a couple weeks to see if I dig the sound, and if I don't, risk the vendor not taking them back. 

As it stands, B&H  ustomer service just emailed saying they are now out of stock on the 580s, so I'm not getting an exchange any time  soon. I replied asking for a deal on the 680s. We'll see what they say. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #28 of 35
OP--- same here man!! I got a pair of Ultrasone DJ1 for Christmas (DJ1 are the same internals as HFI580) and the bass is just not there!! i even made my own forum topic about it... I am even using a Fiio E5 amplifier on bass boost AND my ipod on bass boost... still very little bass. maybe a bad batch???

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #29 of 35
Maybe...I dunno. I told B&H to just give me my money back and went back to Costco to re-buy the V-Modas. I'm not a patient person :). Plus, I decided that I didn't really give them a fair shot. At least they had plenty of real bass.  I'm gonna give them a couple days on the iPod to see if burn-in helps the overall sound, and try them with a movie.  If I still don't like them, Costco is great about returns. Thing is, though, I'm already tired of researching, especially because none of it means a whole lot until I wrap the phones around MY ears. I just want some damn phones that sound decent, and if the Crossfires tighten up at all, or if I can tweak my receiver a bit more, that'll be them. I also played around wih blocking the ports, which changed the sound dramatically. The bass disappeared, and the mids came alive. Maybe a partial block would do the trick. Or maybe I'll stop worrying about how I think they sound and move on with life. :)

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
bla bla bla...Crossfires...bla bla bla

Hahaha...I mean CrossFADES.  I'm not strapping a 1984 Corvette intake manifold to my head.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back