Just got HD600s, has Ety spoiled me?
Jan 16, 2004 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
Just got my brand new HD600's out of the box and tested them out. Comfortable phones! I tested them out with my system, which is Music Hall CD25 and Perraux SXH1.

My only other headphone has been Ety 4s, and by comparison (so far) the HD600's sounded muddy. It's like all the sound is there, but it's out of focus. Has the amazing detail of the Ety's spoiled me for other headphones? The main reason I wanted to try the HD600's was to experiment with a wider soundstage, since people had said the Ety's had none by comparison. So far it doesn't sound like there is all that much more soundstage with the 600's, maybe a touch more, but definitely not like sound is coming from a different place or anything.

I don't mean to Sennheiser bash here or anything. The phones sound very good, and again, this is brand new out of box with stock cable. But my first impression is the sound is out of focus compared to Ety's. I'd welcome any opinions.

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 7
If you want Etymotic detail with Sennheiser soundstage, you need Stax!
biggrin.gif

- Chris

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 7
The cable upgrades, IMO, are really for people who already like the HD600. If they aren't for you, buying an expensive aftermarket cable may be throwing good $$ after bad. They won't presto-chang-o into a whole new headphone, just add to the things the HD600 already does well in an incremental fashion.

That said, by all means, give them more time and burn in.

Mark

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 7
agreed with everything said so far. It took about a week or so to really appreciate what mine had to offer.

Now... id say anyone can have mine...

after they throw me in a lava pit full of radioactive sharks with laser beams!

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 7
I have the hd650 with the Zu cable upgrade and it is better than the ety ER-4S in all respects. Without the Zu, the etys would have won for more detail. The Zu cable lowers the bass and creates bigger soundstage where you can hear each instrument. It also creates the sound that crisp and clean but still keeps the warm sound of the 650s. When I put the stock cable back on, it sounds slightly muddy.

I don't know if the Zu would do that to the 600 or it's just that the 650's are that much of an improvement.

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 7
It could be that the Sennheiser sound just isn't the one you're after. Or, perhaps you might just need to get used to the new sonic footprint after living with your etys. Either way, I'd give yourself some time with the new phones and if, after that, they're still not to your liking, exchange them for something else or be happy that the etys are for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back