Just got Grado SR60X, sounds terrible compared to my E series..
Feb 3, 2022 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kofman13

New Head-Fier
I have been using my Grado SR60e for what feels like 10 years. for mixing. they have been through hell and the wire rubber coating is starting to fall apart. so i picked up the SR60X version out curiosity to see if they can replace my E series when they die ( if they do). out of the box to be the SR60X sound terrible. almost no low end compared to the E series, and MUCH harsher around 4000hz. And somehow NARROWER stereo sound stage. i dont get how it can be so much worse than the E series.

I heard about "breaking in" headphones. but could that even help here with the new ones? my first urge is to just return them...

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Break-in will never help. It's virtually a myth that break-in will drastically fix a headphone. I suggest you first swap the pads from the 60e to the 60x. The primary difference between almost all of the Grado headphones is the cup materials and the pads. The drivers are the same. This is reinforced by the frequency measurements and my experience with Grado all the way up to the RS-1i.

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Break-in will never help. It's virtually a myth that break-in will drastically fix a headphone. I suggest you first swap the pads from the 60e to the 60x. The primary difference between almost all of the Grado headphones is the cup materials and the pads. The drivers are the same. This is reinforced by the frequency measurements and my experience with Grado all the way up to the RS-1i.
In my experience, break-in is beneficial to the functioning of any transducer - including headphones.

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Headphones don't need a break-in period, but your brain might. Sometimes we get really used to the way one headphone sounds and a new headphone can be a sort of shock to the system and sound "wrong" in comparison to what we're used to. Try giving the SR60X some exclusive head time without switching back to the 60e and then see how you feel. Swapping out pads is also a good suggestion.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back