Just got Broadband Over Power Line today...
Jun 5, 2007 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

rlanger

Headphoneus Supremus
... and it's great!

I'm moving to a new home in a couple of weeks and there is no DSL service available in the new area. There's cable, but I refuse to give our local cable company (Rogers) a cent of my money after a number of terrible CS related experiences.

So I got hooked up with BPL and it works great. I'm getting the same speeds as I had with my DSL service, but I can take my modem with me anywhere, just plug it into any outlet, and BAM! instant broadband. This thing rocks!!

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and it's great!

I'm moving to a new home in a couple of weeks and there is no DSL service available in the new area. There's cable, but I refuse to give our local cable company (Rogers) a cent of my money after a number of terrible CS related experiences.

So I got hooked up with BPL and it works great. I'm getting the same speeds as I had with my DSL service, but I can take my modem with me anywhere, just plug it into any outlet, and BAM! instant broadband. This thing rocks!!

Do you have a link for this?

I have never heard of it before.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 32
Um, does the internet actually travel through the power line, or does the modem act as some kind of wireless transceiver?

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 32
It's basically identical in theory to DSL or cable. A carrier wave piggybacks on the electric current; that wave has the internet information, and carries it up and downstream.

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 32
Hmm...didn't know they were doing this already...wicked. I hear you can get NASTY speeds out of it, like 1GB/s.....

EDIT***
wait a sec...looking at that site, it looks to be the same thing as the CRAP I currently have:

http://www.clearwire.com

The modem is identical. it works like a cell phone. If you're in the coverage area, you have service. It's not powerline...it's a wireless set-up, much like a Tmobile or Sprint internet card...I can't speak for that company, but clearwire is crap. I have the 1.5Mb service, and my DL is less than the lowest service plan. Yeah, if I goto a bandwidth tester, it's fast, but my actual file DL speed is usually sitting around 100kb/s...crap.

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...didn't know they were doing this already...wicked. I hear you can get NASTY speeds out of it, like 1GB/s.....

EDIT***
wait a sec...looking at that site, it looks to be the same thing as the CRAP I currently have:

The modem is identical. it works like a cell phone. If you're in the coverage area, you have service. It's not powerline...it's a wireless set-up, much like a Tmobile or Sprint internet card...I can't speak for that company, but clearwire is crap. I have the 1.5Mb service, and my DL is less than the lowest service plan. Yeah, if I goto a bandwidth tester, it's fast, but my actual file DL speed is usually sitting around 100kb/s...crap.

You are correct. It's a wireless internet not over power lines.

My only concern with this type of connection is latency can you do some pings to say google.com running this command in the run prompt. (start menu)

ping 72.14.207.99 -t

I get about 40ms

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 32
It sucks...I NEVER see 1.5mb/s like I pay for. Nothing near it. Not even HALF that speed. It gets dece reception, but it seems like voodoo, cause you have to position the modem certain ways to get the best reception, you have to be near a window, etc....it kinda sucks....I can't wait till I find a better option. But since I'm mobile around town so much, it's the only viable source.

Sprint internet is $70 a month after taxes....umm..I dunno about that. But apparently it's cable internet speeds.

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 32
Jun 6, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

http://www.greatlight.ca/powerline_i...FSJzUAodF02sVA

It's a good idea for lan over shorts distances. But I think there would be major problems implementing it over city powerlines, SNR for one, I hate to think of all the RF interference. Maybe they could hire patrick82 to lay ERS paper throughout the city?
biggrin.gif
I think (edit*)MBWA is a better idea.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

EDIT***

Hmm, well I'm getting well over 300 kBps download speeds? I'll definitely have to keep an eye on it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back