Just got back from the best concert ever!
Sep 27, 2005 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zoboomofo

1000+ Head-Fier
I managed to get a seat at the last minute for the Queens Of The Stone Age concert tonight. Actually they were the 2nd bill for NIN. But this band, Autolux opened the show.

I haven't been to many concerts, but I never really felt satisfied after most of them. This one was pretty much everything I've dreamt a concert should be. The sound was excellent, the variety was exciting, and the talent was top notch.

Autolux played some sweet shoegazing soundscapes and percussion. I had never heard of them (but it looks like a couple of you Headfiers already did). The psychedelia was immersing but not indulgent. The patterns shifted very nicely in each of the few songs they did. And the drummer was pretty sexy behind the kit. She was splashing around with the sticks like Meg White, but Carla can really play. There was a lot of energy in her playing, and this trend just continued up through the night. Even though I never heard of these guys, their set felt like a greatest hits. I think it helped that their set was small, so no clunkers here.

Next up was the Josh Homme show. Damn that guy is huge! I can't remember if they started with Medication or Everybody Knows That You're Insane, but it was rawk with heavy grooves. He was really friendly with the crowd, and had some fun rearranging some songs. A Song For The Dead, and No One Knows, had a few extra movements, and you never knew when the music would stop.. and start again.
biggrin.gif
Their drummer did excellent work on the Songs For The Deaf material - heavy stuff. Josh was lively and pretty interested in performing. I was happy enough after they had finished. The pace ebbed a bit, but the fun made up for it.

So after a long break, Nine Inch Nails came on. They had fancier lights and more props than the other guys, and the best sound - it was full top to bottom, and the vocals weren't overcooked. I have to admit I'm not a true Nine Inch Nails fan, but this performance was so convincing that I enjoyed this act the most. Trent must have been on crack because he had boundless energy. He was jumping and fist pumping, and crouching then running so much, I would have been tired in my seat just watching him if I hadn't been so caught up in the mood. They played all the popular tunes, and rocked so hard, everything sounded like percussion at some points. I mean with that and the lyrical content, they really ROCKED! This 3rd act of the night was the most romantic one as well. For a couple of tunes, the kids got out the lighters - I wanted to yell "Freebird!" Hurt was just bliss. Trent's singing was fine too but he had to scream through much of it and still keep control. Very impressive. Star<blankers> was the highlight of the night featuring some of the best drumming of the show, acrobatics off the stage equipment and a sound thrashing of a guitar. Way to go out with a bang. And just like that, it was over. I'll remember this show for some time, and now I'm spoiled because I'm worried about how the next concerts will measure up to this one. Sigur Ros? - too slow? Judas Priest? - too pedestrian? Opeth? - that should be a barn burner
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for reading my aural orgasm. Now it's time to rest my aching ears.

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 12
I was there also (buddy has a spiral membership so we scored floor tickets).

I watched autolux but i found then kind of lacking. The dummer was solid, and the vocals from the bass player were good at time (though he was defniately straining at points)

I thought the guitar player was boring as all hell. He basically played the same few chords over and over an entire song. The bass player also went WAY overboard on the feedback playing as far as I'm concerned.

Very uninspired and uncreative music to my ears.

I skipped most of QotSA as I already knew I didnt like them much, but from what I heard they have a VERY poor live show. You can tell the sound engineers went to town on his vocals for their recordings.

NIN on the other hand... roxored my soxorz. Trents energy on stage is amazing (you can definately tell he's been living clean for a while now as he's in amazing shape). They have to be one of the tightest bands I've seen live so far also. He definately pulled out all the stops to make it a very memorable experience. (also.. from what my friend tells me, the show in vancouver was far better than the seatle one mostly because the crowd was way better here)

All in all, this is my 3rd favorite live show I've been to. Its only next to seeing The Teaparty live at the orpheum w/ the full symphony.. and one other teaparty show they did at the commadore in between cd release tours that was basically all their old awsome stuff with Jeff Martin throwing down his usual guitar excellence. I rate this higher than NIN only because when you see a teaparty show its always somethign different whereas the NIN show was basically the album tracks being played. When I go see something live, I much prefer the improv that the artist can pull off.

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 12
I envy you
biggrin.gif
. I'm still trying to get to out to see QOTSA.

Sep 28, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Did anybody know if there was an encore? The lights came on so fast, I just didn't expect one. I wish I could have recorded this show. Nine Inch Nails sounded way better on stage last night than on cd. Oh yeah, Trent's filled up that frame of his quite a bit over the years. I didn't realize when I bought my ticket that I actually had 2 tickets to the gun show. They'll getcha.

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 12
lmao...no matter how many times someone says "tickets to the gun show" i laugh my ass off...love it...

anyway...queens have a poor live show? I've never heard that. Then again, everytime someone says that about a show I'm going to it's the total opposite...I went to see System of a Down, was told they sucked live, man...let me tell you...friggen unreal...they are so talented it's not even fair. Their music is not the easiest to play when trying to record it, but to reproduce that live...wow...Then I went to the deftones...and heard, 'oh, you'll be disapointed...they suck ass live' and the same thing...they were awesome...so maybe i'll need to find some live Queens and make hear this for myself because I dont think I'll be able to see them for quite some time...

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 12
Man, those are sweet impressoins. Thanks for posting them. I have seen NIN 4 times and each time was remarkable.

The one I remember most was with Bowie in Dallas. That was one hell of a show.

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 12
I'll use any excuse to slip in a Ron Burgundy quote. "It's instinct." About the qotsa set, Josh sang really well. There was no spitting into the mic or shortness of breath. You know how he is when he goes into the falsetto - you have to keep it tidy and not overdo it. He was that controlled for the whole 1:10.

I had a good view of the drummer from my seat so I could anticipate the flow in the songs - and that keeps me involved. The frantic parts would have been even better if Nick was still around, but the big man pulled it off naturally. Hell he even had a few moments singing solo. Those bits when the notes are allowed to ring into the darkness are a nice contrast to the 4/4 rock assault. It keeps me from tuning out, and gets me revved up for the crescendo. I guess you could say that these guys had the crowd's pulse all night. Either that or we're easy to please.

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
I wanted to go to this show so badly when it was in toronto...I'm kinda like you, I would have been there to see QOTSA...but NIN, wouldn't be a bad closer...lol
tongue.gif

I think you can catch them on a rebound. NIN and friends are playing the Air Canada Center 11/10.

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 12
..Just scored a ticket to see the show this Sunday in Cleveland.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I really dig the Autolux album, sort of a mix between Failure and Daydream Nation-era Sonic Youth if you ask me. Nice stuff. Kind of an odd choice for this gig, but it will be cool to hear how they do live.

I saw QOTSA about two years ago with ..Trail of the Dead. THAT was an awesome show. I've been to hundreds of concerts and that was one of the best. Can't wait to hear them again. As long as they crank out "Regular John" I'll be a happy boy. If they play "Better Living Through Chemistry" I'll lose it..

It's been 10 years since I've seen NIN. Last time was in Cleveland at the Convo center, with Pop Will Eat Itself opening.

-jar

Oct 6, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #12 of 12
They played Leg of Lamb, and The Lost Art Of Keeping a Secret. That second one was a ton of fun. They played another oldie that I didn't recognize though. There's plenty more good gigs on the way here in Van I'm so stoked. One notable concert with a cool lineup mix is Depeche Mode with Raveonettes.

It seems that Vancouver is a popular place to kick off tours so hopefully I can spread the word for other good shows coming your way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
..Just scored a ticket to see the show this Sunday in Cleveland.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I really dig the Autolux album, sort of a mix between Failure and Daydream Nation-era Sonic Youth if you ask me. Nice stuff. Kind of an odd choice for this gig, but it will be cool to hear how they do live.

I saw QOTSA about two years ago with ..Trail of the Dead. THAT was an awesome show. I've been to hundreds of concerts and that was one of the best. Can't wait to hear them again. As long as they crank out "Regular John" I'll be a happy boy. If they play "Better Living Through Chemistry" I'll lose it..

It's been 10 years since I've seen NIN. Last time was in Cleveland at the Convo center, with Pop Will Eat Itself opening.

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back