Just got back from Bill Evans - Soulgrass concert
May 3, 2006 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mattigol

500+ Head-Fier
... in the Jakobshof jazz club in my home town of Aachen, Germany tonight. What a wonderful, fun concert! The amalgam of jazz and bluegrass was electrifying. I have never even owned a CD of his, but now I am a fan. Bill is very easy going, totally next door guy caliber. It was a small venue, maybe 250 people attending. He and his band (amazing lineup!) were chitchatting before, inbetween and after the sets. I got his latest CD signed and his studio lineup reads like a whoiswho of modern jazz: Bela Fleck, Victor Wooten, John Scofield, Bruce Hornsby.

Recommended for any jazz lover looking for a chance of pace!
eggosmile.gif

May 3, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know about the rest of the people around here, but when you first posted about "Bill Evans" the connection I made was to the late Bill Evans, the jazz pianist. It's also a weird coincidence that this Bill Evans, a saxophonist, also played with Miles Davis in the 1980s. I just went to his webpage and it doesn't say anything about BE the pianist, but it is as strange a combination of coincidences I have ever come across.

Sounds like someone I should investigate. Thanks for the heads-up.
cool.gif

May 3, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 5
Bill Evans' soprano sax tone is one of the most enthralling I've ever heard. I would put it on par (quality of tone-wise, not chops-specific) with Coltrane's.

May 4, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Yeah another equally talented Bill Evans, and he's benn around for 20 years: www.billevanssax.com

Apparently, his latest album was Grammy-nominated.

I talked to a lady at the concert and she said, his work wasn't too easy to follow as he was switching styles quite a bit over the years.

May 7, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Yeah another equally talented Bill Evans

IF these younger Bill Evans is half as talented, I'll go out and listen to everything he ever made! I was very confused when I first read this post - I was second guessing my memory that Bill Evans (the pianist) had passed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back