Just got an iPod Video - need portable amp & cable(?)
Aug 12, 2007 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

chodecz

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just got a iPod 80GB Video and it sounds quite good with my Koss KSC-75 or my Senn HD580.

BUT it does need to be turn right up near full to get good volume, but easily distorts especially on my prefered EQ setting (electronic).

I had a PA2v2 and LDM+ before, but sold these AGES ago. I remember not noticing any difference between the two (on my Sony Discman).

The amp needs to be portable and a reasonable price (sub $100 USD). Also should I look to get a cable for it?? I read ages ago that someone noticed improvements with upgraded cable!?

It has been ages since I've been on this forum, so please guys help my rekindled romance!!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 20
The cable mentioned is the line-out created by connecting it to the dock connection. Check ALO audio for more details, it bypasses the built-in amplifier, and is not controlled by volume. (purity principle =]). After that you need an amplifier to have control over volume obviously. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get plenty of options, take a look at Portable Amplifier Roundup by Skylab, it will tell you plenty of good info.

Edit: Reread...in your price you are either going to the DIY type amps - cMoy for example, or you get an iBasso T2 since it sounds pretty good and is ultra-portable.

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 20
You can try a Turbo dock for the IC, I heard it was pretty good, but of course if you can go for ALO go for it. For the amp I heard that GoVibe V6 was pretty good, $60 I think... I've never tried either of these but I've read they're pretty good.

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 20
I have a Qable dock to mini connector. Works great. Not quite as expensive as ALO, but may be more than you want to spend.

I've noticed you can sometimes find them on ebay. Though I can't vouch for the quality or sound, guys like ming0120_0 look like budding entrepreneurs and have lots of good feedback.

As far as amps, you can get a Xenos 0HA-REP, C& C Box v2, or iBrasso T1 for $100 or under.

Be sure you take time to burn in the amp & cable (same for your cans), and encode your ipod with high bitrate files & you should hear the difference.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 20
sometimes i get scared running an ALO, or something of the sort to my amp and IEMS because any accidental movement of the volume knob on the amp can be enough to deafen!

the ibasso T1 has some issues with high pitched noises, and I think the T2 is an improvment in that problem area. The T2 matches well with ipods (looks wise and sound wise I hear), and can be had for $99 new I hear.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by chodecz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the GO-Vibe looks a good choice.. this guy offered me this, should I go for it, how about the cable is it good?...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254991

oh yeah, with the go-vibe, make sure you ask the seller if it comes with an ac adapter so you don't have to constantly replace 9 volts. This feature is make or break for most amp owners.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 20
There are tons of options for line-out docks. One of the more popular ones is the "Diabolous" LOD from TURBO (a member of head-fi). See http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1995 for more details. Also, Ken from ALO Audio has reduced the price on many of his cables. The "Bling-Bling" is running at $55 now. See http://www.audiolineout.net/ for those.

I'm sure there are other cable makers on here who have products to offer, but these are the first two that come to mind.

Also, just to let you know, even with a good line-out cable and amp, using the iPod EQ will still distort. It's truly terrible EQ. I've heard people using "mp3gain" software to reduce the levels in the mp3 to use iPod EQ, but this is a lengthy process and you have to be careful as it alters the data in the mp3s.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by druelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, just to let you know, even with a good line-out cable and amp, using the iPod EQ will still distort. It's truly terrible EQ. I've heard people using "mp3gain" software to reduce the levels in the mp3 to use iPod EQ, but this is a lengthy process and you have to be careful as it alters the data in the mp3s.

You could try rockbox. In the sound settings, I forget where, is an option to enable the hardware equalizer. I tried and noticed a difference in SQ. If you do use rockbox though you won't get the same battery life as you do when using the standard ipod firmware.

Doesn't replaygain only change the data in the tag and not the mp3 itself? This was always my understanding.

Can't comment on the LOD and amp as I'm still waiting on mine.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone Def /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't replaygain only change the data in the tag and not the mp3 itself? This was always my understanding.

You're right, replaygain just adds a tag, but it's my understanding that the stock iPod firmware can't read replaygain info. With mp3gain it alters the container of the MP3 (or something like that). It doesn't normalize/transcode, but it is a destructive process, so make backups and be careful. Again, I'm not 100% positive, as it's been awhile since I read up on mp3gain, so you may want to check it out: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net I believe is the site.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 20
Re line-out from Ipods?

I've just acquired a 160gb Ipod Classic and have ordered a Qables "ipod dock to 3.5mm plug" to run into a Go-VibeV7. (A set up I used from a Creative Zen VideoM as well as Sony HD5)

BUT ........ some posters in AVforums are saying that the latest (G6) Ipods arent true line-out?! They say that the click wheel still controls the volume - whereas previously i'm used to the line out feed bypassing volume/headphone circuits etc. Can anyone clarify please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back