Just got an Iphone 3G, what are you guys/gals using headphones wise?
Apr 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

FTLOSM

New Head-Fier
I love this new 3g apple iPhone - bought 2 even, 1 for me and 1 for wife but the headset is blah at best, I am looking for a good in ear alternative with mic preferable, that is in a good quality sound range.

I read reviews on apple store but cant help wonder if its some 15 yr old who's happy to hear anything better than what the stock apple phones produce, so I came to the place i know others appreciate their music for hopefully a few suggestions.

At home my primary headphones are sennheiser 485's and 555's (so yes im addicted yet don't have a huge budget) I have a few smaller sets too, none that compare to the 555's (creative soundworks in ear and smaller senns) and of course none have a mic.

Wife wears a hearing aid so no headphones for her, but I am looking for the best quality sound i can get out of an in ear headphone with mic in the $50 to $100 price range?!?! (ok maybe a few bucks more if a jump is needed)...I am sure most of you guys/gals understand that statement, hehe

I would LOVE for them to be wireless but if I go that route (bluetooth) I lose alot of quality dont I? (I read that somewhere along time ago that bluetooth headphones sound horrible vs plug in wired ones but not sure if that is true), also wasn't sure on the whole stereo aspect on 3g iphone, I read the new software 3.0 is going to allow for stereo bluetooth a2dp (whatever that is) but will that improve the quality of using bluetooth headsets or just allow stereo without some funky adaptor like ive seen in other youtube videos?

These are a few i found on youtube, any input good or bad about them?

Atomic Radius Bass
YouTube - Video Review #109-Radius Atomic Bass iPhone Headphones

VModa Vibe Duo
YouTube - V-MODA Vibe Duo Earphones/Headset for iPhone Review

imuffs (looks the MOST interesting... or like to find something like them, wireless, one piece or in ear with mic) but I searched this forum for imuffs and came up empty - so not a good sign
frown.gif

YouTube - iMuffs Wireless Bluetooth iPhone Headphones Review - YouriPodStop.com

Nolan Systems a2dp Headset (a bit star trek looking, but curious on sound and once 3.0 comes would they turn into stereo?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzpI4LPEvU0

Thanks for anyone who has had experience in this matter as the iphone stuff is all new to me.

Bill
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 20
forget the bluetooth; X2 on the NE-7m

May 1, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 20
Hi, new member here but I've had an iPhone for a while and can offer one main piece of advice:

No NOT get the Vibe Duos. they get a lot of floor space but they're pretty bad, IMO. the sound is muddy and too bassy and there's no detail in anything. They were a step down from a pair of inexpensive JBL 220s I had before.

Right now, I'm using something a bit high end. I went a bit overboard and got a pair of triple.fi 10 vi models. those are probably too expensive for most but I will say I was impressed with the less expensive super.fi 5 vi units that I got to listen to at Macworld. I got the impression that most anything from UE would be top notch.

The Apple Dual Driver IEMs are also pretty decent and have the ever important clicker/mic.

There should be threads here comparing those to the UE super.fi 4vi and metro/fis and the Ne-7Ms.

May 1, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LCfiner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, new member here but I've had an iPhone for a while and can offer one main piece of advice:

No NOT get the Vibe Duos. they get a lot of floor space but they're pretty bad, IMO. the sound is muddy and too bassy and there's no detail in anything. They were a step down from a pair of inexpensive JBL 220s I had before.

Right now, I'm using something a bit high end. I went a bit overboard and got a pair of triple.fi 10 vi models. those are probably too expensive for most but I will say I was impressed with the less expensive super.fi 5 vi units that I got to listen to at Macworld. I got the impression that most anything from UE would be top notch.

The Apple Dual Driver IEMs are also pretty decent and have the ever important clicker/mic.

There should be threads here comparing those to the UE super.fi 4vi and metro/fis and the Ne-7Ms.

eeerrrmmm.... no.... SF 5 EB is just one that comes to mind. I also didnt like the TF10 when I had them (before I sent them back) suited to some though obviously

May 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forget the bluetooth; X2 on the NE-7m

I have absolutely no idea what x2 or ne-7m is, but ill google them...

May 1, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you do, don't get bluetooth headphones...

Sadly you and others ive heard from say the same thing, too bad too cuz it would be awesome to go wireless with them...

I did search the ne-7m term and they seem to be a decent set of upgrade iphone replacement headphones altho a few reviews about bad mic quality, at least it has a mic right? For those few times id wanna use my iphone as a PHONE (i forget it can do that sometimes) hehe.

Still not sure what the x2 thing is tho? guessing another set of headphones?

May 1, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3 on the ne-7m

What do you mean by x3? I get the ne-7m as headphones (googled it) but not sure on the x3 or x2 someone else here said... The search feature won't even work for these terms (too short) and google brings back too many oddball things to figure out what x2 or x3 is...

May 1, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FTLOSM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by x3? I get the ne-7m as headphones (googled it) but not sure on the x3 or x2 someone else here said... The search feature won't even work for these terms (too short) and google brings back too many oddball things to figure out what x2 or x3 is...

They are agreeing. x2, x3 are akin to saying me too, me three.

May 1, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 20
x4 on NE-7M's for that price range since you need a mic. I'd recommend the PFE's but they'd cost significantly more than what your budget is (like $150ish)

Actually - nobody else has brought this up but I'd also look into the Apple Dual Driver IEMS. Some people consider them better than the NE-7M's and they are worth looking at.

May 1, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 20
I'm either too tired or just too dumb, but i never thought of the x2 x3 x4 as me 2 me 3 me 4 etc. hehe

I will check out those apple dual drivers too, just surprised the ne7m's arent more expensive, altho i also realize the stuff ill get off the iphone are just basic mp3's too... so most anything will be better than the stock apple buds, (my creative inears blow the apple buds away and they are nothing special) so I know there have to be steps up out there - nice to know that I don't have to jump upto $300+ models.

Bill

May 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FTLOSM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm either too tired or just too dumb, but i never thought of the x2 x3 x4 as me 2 me 3 me 4 etc. hehe

I will check out those apple dual drivers too, just surprised the ne7m's arent more expensive, altho i also realize the stuff ill get off the iphone are just basic mp3's too... so most anything will be better than the stock apple buds, (my creative inears blow the apple buds away and they are nothing special) so I know there have to be steps up out there - nice to know that I don't have to jump upto $300+ models.

Bill

One of the reviewers here (HeadphoneAddict) said that the NE-7m is like a $50 earphone that sounds like a $150 earphone. So that's likely the best choice if you don't want to get into the $200-300 range. It also comes with a mic, so it's a good choice for the IPhone. (BTW, I'm a newbie too, so I don't know first hand.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back