Just got a Vali 2. New to tubes. Any I should look at?
Apr 9, 2019 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nazo

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm pretty new to tube amps. I've researched what I could and right now the one that suited my needs best (including not costing an arm and a leg) was the Schiit Vali 2. So far I am liking it, though the sound isn't as different from the Magni 2U as I thought it would be. To be fair, I don't have golden ears though. (Actually, I found out after my purchase it was a hybrid amp -- which is very clearly advertised -- but for some reason I had it in my head it was a pure tube amp and I have no clue why I thought that. However, as best as I could understand it seems like it's a proper hybrid with the tube doing the actual amplification and the digital section just handling the current, not a false one where the tube doesn't do anything that would color the sound and certainly it does sound different with different tubes to my ears by enough of a margin that I really don't think it is placebo.) So I don't know much about rolling tubes beyond a few basics I've googled. It shipped with a NOS ( a 6BZ7 -- GE if I understand correctly, but there is no labeling at all, so all I can say is that pretty much all the articles discussing the Vali 2 say it is a GE) and before I got it I went ahead and ordered an Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 as per this article's suggestion.

Now it's a bit soon to be 100% certain, but right now I'm thinking I actually honestly prefer the original NOS despite what that article says. (A key point for me was it mentioning adding an extra lushness, particularly to the midrange as the midrange tends to be a major focus for me.) A bit more burn-in is probably required on the EH (due to weather I've been afraid to leave it on and burning in) and a lot more is necessary on the NOS, but the EH just doesn't seem to suit me so far and I have enough hours into it at this point that I really don't think it's going to change significantly. I do not have golden ears and I have zero ability to really describe sound well, but it just sort of feels "lighter" or something like it's missing a bit of depth to it. I really like the NOS and it may ultimately be that I would never even want to use anything else, but that doesn't mean I should never try anything else... (After all, a key point of a tube amp is rolling to find that sweet spot.)

I see that article and several others suggesting (heck, Amazon in an almost creepy way made specific note of one of my searches and now is also suggesting) the Genalex “Gold Lion” E88CC. However, it's pretty costly, and the description there doesn't sound necessarily promising. (Well, to be fair, I did like the sound of my Magni 2U -- I assume the 3 doesn't sound so different -- but it didn't have that extra something that I think even the NOS that came with the Vali 2 is closer to providing.) I'm pretty strapped for cash now (so even if I try it I can't do so right away) but I am wondering if I should still try it. I don't want the sound to be too bright though (my ears are fairly sensitive -- particularly to the highs -- and it can almost physically hurt if a sound system has too much sibilance. The trick is, in the end, finding a good balance where it isn't dark and veiled but doesn't actually physically hurt. It's worth noting that I've gone through Grado's, Denon's and etc and ultimately landed on Sennheiser with the HD650 seemingly just about perfectly suiting me.) The price tag is a bit hefty for something so uncertain and I don't think the description sounds particularly great, but I sure do see a lot of people swearing by it as a great tube in this sort of range.

It goes without saying that something like the Western Electric 396A + adapter that article mentions is way too high of a price (and, as it mentions, if you're spending that much on tubes you may as well have bought a more expensive amp in the first place. If I had had that much to blow on this I would have.) Is there anything else more reasonably priced that I should be looking into though? Maybe the EH 6922 that article mentions but isn't exactly fawning over? Or should I just stick with the 6BZ7 that came with it and call it a day if nothing else is likely to go the sort of direction I want?

Obviously I've googled around a fair bit, but, to be honest, I don't entirely know enough of what I need to know to really search well. Sound descriptions are tricky (yes, even with guides) and very subjective by definition. I also don't entirely know how to tell exactly what is compatible beyond the basic designations Schiit mentions (which is tricky with tubes of course) -- plus of course they vary wildly even with just different brands of the exact same tube. (Basically it's my hope someone familiar with the 6BZ7 versus the EH 6CG7 might understand better what sort of thing I'm looking for.)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 19
So I'm pretty new to tube amps. I've researched what I could and right now the one that suited my needs best (including not costing an arm and a leg) was the Schiit Vali 2. So far I am liking it, though the sound isn't as different from the Magni 2U as I thought it would be. To be fair, I don't have golden ears though. (Actually, I found out after my purchase it was a hybrid amp -- which is very clearly advertised -- but for some reason I had it in my head it was a pure tube amp and I have no clue why I thought that. However, as best as I could understand it seems like it's a proper hybrid with the tube doing the actual amplification and the digital section just handling the current, not a false one where the tube doesn't do anything that would color the sound and certainly it does sound different with different tubes to my ears by enough of a margin that I really don't think it is placebo.) So I don't know much about rolling tubes beyond a few basics I've googled. It shipped with a NOS ( a 6BZ7 -- GE if I understand correctly, but there is no labeling at all, so all I can say is that pretty much all the articles discussing the Vali 2 say it is a GE) and before I got it I went ahead and ordered an Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 as per this article's suggestion.

Now it's a bit soon to be 100% certain, but right now I'm thinking I actually honestly prefer the original NOS despite what that article says. (A key point for me was it mentioning adding an extra lushness, particularly to the midrange as the midrange tends to be a major focus for me.) A bit more burn-in is probably required on the EH (due to weather I've been afraid to leave it on and burning in) and a lot more is necessary on the NOS, but the EH just doesn't seem to suit me so far and I have enough hours into it at this point that I really don't think it's going to change significantly. I do not have golden ears and I have zero ability to really describe sound well, but it just sort of feels "lighter" or something like it's missing a bit of depth to it. I really like the NOS and it may ultimately be that I would never even want to use anything else, but that doesn't mean I should never try anything else... (After all, a key point of a tube amp is rolling to find that sweet spot.)

I see that article and several others suggesting (heck, Amazon in an almost creepy way made specific note of one of my searches and now is also suggesting) the Genalex “Gold Lion” E88CC. However, it's pretty costly, and the description there doesn't sound necessarily promising. (Well, to be fair, I did like the sound of my Magni 2U -- I assume the 3 doesn't sound so different -- but it didn't have that extra something that I think even the NOS that came with the Vali 2 is closer to providing.) I'm pretty strapped for cash now (so even if I try it I can't do so right away) but I am wondering if I should still try it. I don't want the sound to be too bright though (my ears are fairly sensitive -- particularly to the highs -- and it can almost physically hurt if a sound system has too much sibilance. The trick is, in the end, finding a good balance where it isn't dark and veiled but doesn't actually physically hurt. It's worth noting that I've gone through Grado's, Denon's and etc and ultimately landed on Sennheiser with the HD650 seemingly just about perfectly suiting me.) The price tag is a bit hefty for something so uncertain and I don't think the description sounds particularly great, but I sure do see a lot of people swearing by it as a great tube in this sort of range.

It goes without saying that something like the Western Electric 396A + adapter that article mentions is way too high of a price (and, as it mentions, if you're spending that much on tubes you may as well have bought a more expensive amp in the first place. If I had had that much to blow on this I would have.) Is there anything else more reasonably priced that I should be looking into though? Maybe the EH 6922 that article mentions but isn't exactly fawning over? Or should I just stick with the 6BZ7 that came with it and call it a day if nothing else is likely to go the sort of direction I want?

Obviously I've googled around a fair bit, but, to be honest, I don't entirely know enough of what I need to know to really search well. Sound descriptions are tricky (yes, even with guides) and very subjective by definition. I also don't entirely know how to tell exactly what is compatible beyond the basic designations Schiit mentions (which is tricky with tubes of course) -- plus of course they vary wildly even with just different brands of the exact same tube. (Basically it's my hope someone familiar with the 6BZ7 versus the EH 6CG7 might understand better what sort of thing I'm looking for.)
I've gone through a number of tubes and frankly there's one tube I recommend over and over and it usually gets a wow reaction. The tube is a vintage Tung-Sol 6sn7gt "mouse ears". I use it myself. It can be found on ebay or etsy.com. Price is anywhere from $20 to $50 depending on condition. You will also need two adapters for the tube to fit the small opening of the Vali. The adapters are: 1. A 6sn7 to 6922 adapter and 2. A 9 Pin Socket Saver. Fortunately both of these are available from tubedepot.com. You need them because the 6sn7gt is a large tube. The socket saver goes in first and raises the socket to clear the top of the case. The 6sn7 adapter goes on the end of the 6sn7 then plugs into the socket saver. I know it sounds complicated but it's worth it. If you need any more help just ask.

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 19
Hmm. TubeDepot has a Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB that seems to be a newly made product instead of NOS or even used but people seem to be super happy with them, so maybe it has about the same sound? (I even see someone specifically mentioning the Vali 2.) I feel a bit more confident buying something like this from a reputable dealer like TubeDepot than taking my chances with eBay and the like, but I could understand if the original is pretty different from this. (I didn't see any comparisons to the original saying whether it was the same or different. Well, I assume it probably is at least slightly different, but perhaps by so little it doesn't matter?)

They refer to a sparkle. The highs aren't very extreme with this or anything, right?

BTW, is there any real value to adding on any of the testing extras? High gain, balanced triodes, etc? I went ahead and paid the extra for that EH to have balanced triodes because I assumed it could be troublesome if they were too different, but I ran across someone saying that in reality it doesn't really seem to matter that much.

EDIT: I see one review on TubeDepot comparing them to the original. I'm not sure what they mean exactly about "extension" to the highs and lows. They say brighter mids. I'm not sure what "brighter" means in reference to the midrange exactly. The mids are probably my bigger priority (though highs and lows still are very important) so I am curious whether that is better or worse in that respect for me.

It seems like the "mouse ears" are actually quite expensive from what few I found btw. Definitely not in the $20-ish range. Is it specifically those?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 19
Hmm. TubeDepot has a Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB that seems to be a newly made product instead of NOS or even used but people seem to be super happy with them, so maybe it has about the same sound? (I even see someone specifically mentioning the Vali 2.) I feel a bit more confident buying something like this from a reputable dealer like TubeDepot than taking my chances with eBay and the like, but I could understand if the original is pretty different from this. (I didn't see any comparisons to the original saying whether it was the same or different. Well, I assume it probably is at least slightly different, but perhaps by so little it doesn't matter?)

They refer to a sparkle. The highs aren't very extreme with this or anything, right?

BTW, is there any real value to adding on any of the testing extras? High gain, balanced triodes, etc? I went ahead and paid the extra for that EH to have balanced triodes because I assumed it could be troublesome if they were too different, but I ran across someone saying that in reality it doesn't really seem to matter that much.
I've got the new production tung-sol and it is a good tube as far as modern tubes go. I can understand your hesitancy if you've never bought from ebay before but I can tell you most of the vintage tubes are bought on ebay, I have 4 mouse ear 6sn7 from ebay myself. If you're unsure stay around the $20 mark, that wI'll get you a worn but ultimately usable tube to start with. It my not have as long a life but it will give you an introduction. If you want more options go to the Vali 2 tube rolling thread where you will get more information than you want. I was just trying to give you a shortcut since I've already tried most of the permutations including the Gold Lion which I can tell you is a waste of time and money. Oh, before I forget, yes you do not need to buy the "extras" offered when you buy a tube. Unless a tube is downright defective you will not notice any channel imbalance or noise or gain problem. Of course all of this is my opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 19
Well, I did glance over eBay. The biggest problem I saw was that the "mouse ears" version of the Tung-Sol seems to not really run in the $20 area as far as I can tell -- even used (in fact, I didn't see any NOS. My bet is NOS versions would be super expensive.) They seemed to tend more to the > $60 range. The only stuff I found in the $20 range is a Tung-Sol brand of the same socket type and all, but definitely not the same model you're referring to. For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133012289385 Good price and all, but different enough that the sound would have to be quite different (and surely more so than the new stock versus vintage.)

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 19
L
Well, I did glance over eBay. The biggest problem I saw was that the "mouse ears" version of the Tung-Sol seems to not really run in the $20 area as far as I can tell -- even used (in fact, I didn't see any NOS. My bet is NOS versions would be super expensive.) They seemed to tend more to the > $60 range. The only stuff I found in the $20 range is a Tung-Sol brand of the same socket type and all, but definitely not the same model you're referring to. For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133012289385 Good price and all, but different enough that the sound would have to be quite different (and surely more so than the new stock versus vintage.)
I should have mentioned that the Tung-Sols also appeared stamped with other brands. Any mouse ears tube was made by Tung-Sol no matter what brand it was stamped with. Right now there's a Mouse-ears stamped Magnavox for $24.99 or best offer.

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 19
Hmm. Partially I didn't see the picture right on the one I posted and some others are downright blurred. I guess the one I linked to actually is "mouse ears"? What's your opinion of the $19.99 pair I just linked to then? I don't know a lot about tubes, but many of the Tung-Sols I found in searching didn't even have a visible getter, so it is a bit concerning that I could be getting the wrong sort of thing just searching solely by the numbers there. It's a bit concerning how much models vary almost wildly. I see some that are just completely different in almost every possible way.

BTW, what do the gm numbers mean exactly? I think I misunderstood something because my EH from Tube Depot was marked as 85 for both triodes (and I've read elsewhere "100+ is considered high gain") but this person is listing 2.x numbers which isn't even the same scale. Should I be concerned this number is so different and maybe look for something specific in that?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 19
Hmm. Partially I didn't see the picture right on the one I posted and some others are downright blurred. I guess the one I linked to actually is "mouse ears"? What's your opinion of the $19.99 pair I just linked to then? I don't know a lot about tubes, but many of the Tung-Sols I found in searching didn't even have a visible getter, so it is a bit concerning that I could be getting the wrong sort of thing just searching solely by the numbers there. It's a bit concerning how much models vary almost wildly. I see some that are just completely different in almost every possible way.

BTW, what do the gm numbers mean exactly? I think I misunderstood something because my EH from Tube Depot was marked as 85 for both triodes (and I've read elsewhere "100+ is considered high gain") but this person is listing 2.x numbers which isn't even the same scale. Should I be concerned this number is so different and maybe look for something specific in that?
In general all Tung-Sols are good. It's just that the mouse ears are near the top. As far as gm different tube testers have different scales. I don't know what gm actually stands for. Just the higher the better. The placement of the getter just helps to identify the tube. The mouse ears getter happens to be on the bottom so you don't see it.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 19
Apr 10, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 19
Ah. That one does seem good. I can't do the $30 right now (shipping is about $5) though ($24.00 in my paypal right now.) I'd have to wait for my next paycheck. Any other promising options or should I just wait?

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 19
Ah. That one does seem good. I can't do the $30 right now (shipping is about $5) though ($24.00 in my paypal right now.) I'd have to wait for my next paycheck. Any other promising options or should I just wait?
It did say "or best offer". Offer $20, the worst that happens is it's turned down, then just wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back