Just got a troublesome HD 600, please read..
May 21, 2004 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spent&Bent

500+ Head-Fier
I just got a demo senn 600 from a store (I'm entering collector stage of this disease), I paid a reasonable price and they even switched earpads for free.
The problem is that one of the grilles (the right one) has been dented pretty severely.
Do you know how to remove the grille and give me some pointers or any other way to fix it? the cans are pretty beat up already and this makes it a bit too worse for my liking.

Thanks.

May 21, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 8
I know you can buy replacement grilles relatively cheaply from Sennheiser. From my understanding they are supposed to just snap in and out but I've not seen it done. You could try the Sennheiser site for a manual it would probably contain directions for replacing parts.

May 21, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies guys, I will try edwoods solution first, if that does not work well enough for me I will get a new grille, since I am already ordering some spare HE-60 pads. (that's why I went there... see what happens I bring a new headphone home, sheesh!!)

May 22, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Can you return them?

Did you seem them before you bought them?

Hi MuZI, I did see them before I bought them, I negotiated the price down.
After this the salesperson swapped out the pads for free even though I did not ask for this.
The grille however was still not good but since the price was very low I could not resist.
Ebay prices for used hd 600 are much higher and this one comes from a store I can go to whenever I want if I have a problem so it was a no brainer.
I have bought from this store before and aside from a great collection of headphones (and speakers, man you should see the speakers...) they are very knowledgeable people with great advice and lots of time for people ( I was 1 hour or even more in the store talking to one of the salesman most all of the time, I really like it there
biggrin.gif
)

I got some QED silver anniversary bi-wire for almost free as well, for a planned home made interconnect, together with some RCA plugs, it has been a good day.......

May 22, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 8
The price for a grill is less than 10.00, and is easily replaceable, in your shoes, I would not even waste time trying to fix it, if you are going to order from them anyway, there is a link and some pics of one HD580 wearing HD600 grills, IIRC Iron_Dreamer was the one who modded that one.....

May 22, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 8
I have bent the grille back and it looks pretty good again.
I had to choose where to put leverage on the thing to pry it loose luckily I choose under the plastic and not under the grille itself, I could not get this clear from the older thread (used google to find it).
I don't think it's needed anymore to get another set of grilles, this will do fine.

I have never had such a pair of worn cans before, even my old hd414 looks better lol, it seems the finishing on the hd600 is too easily damaged IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back