Just got a Tripp-Lite UPS without battery
Feb 20, 2008 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, it didn't power on. I opened it up and there's not battery in it. I wonder can it run without battery?

The model is Tripp-Lite Smart700 USB

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 9
actually it was listed as without battery. I am just wondering if the unit can run without one
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 9
if youve bought an expensive one which runs off the battery all the time (vs waiting for the power to cut) then it should have a bypass thingie which allows you to run it without the battery, supposedly while you are performing mantainence in your company's IT department doing mission critical stuff which cannot be stopped just because you are swapping out the UPS battery...

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually it was listed as without battery. I am just wondering if the unit can run without one
frown.gif

You mean as a surge protector only with no UPS capability....I hope?

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean as a surge protector only with no UPS capability....I hope?

Right. I bought a used UPS hoping that I can use it without the battery (which costs more than the UPS itself). The unit has a formidable voltage regulation system when not using its battery. I wonder if I can just connect the two battery wires together?

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 9
The UPS mainly need a battery to work, with no battery they most of the times, with a few exceptions, will not power up, TRIPP-lite, APC, and Wabber models, IIRC will not...you can try it with your car battery to see if it works or not, later on order the battery from any only store, just ot avoid wasting yuor money...a batter ycan be cheap or expensive up to $70.00 depending on the type, so to get a UPS with no battery type listed is a risk...as sometimes the cost of the battery later on, will make the purchase futile...

The voltage regulation system, the boost at least, in case fo low voltage work also with the battery, with no battery is will not do anything...muast probably will shut down...

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 9
You are right. It didn't boot up without the battery. But I can plug into the outlet and there's actually power through! And since I don't want it to use the battery anyway, it's better off that I don't have it.

Thanks for everyone. It works!

Sovkiller, the model seems to be able to do AVR without battery. From their website:

"Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) circuits maintain clean, regulated computer-grade 120V nominal output, without using battery power, during brownouts to 75V and overvoltages to 147V"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back