Just got a Shuffle - Itunes + multiple PC's
Apr 20, 2005 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Magsy

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I get a shuffle 1gb for my bday and I'm well happy, stock phones are crap but it sounds really nice and works well.

Then I plug it into a second PC with Itunes and have no option but to reformat the thing.

Quick google later and I discover it cannot be updated from more than one PC.

What the hell is this about? It totally ruins it for me, I cannot use it crippled like this. I have 5 PC's at home and 2 at work, I need to update it from at least one at home and one at work..

This is my first ipod and first use of itunes, so I'm not up to speed yet. Are there any work arounds for this? Why is it designed like this?
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 11
Hiya there !

Happy B-Day . . . and not a bad gift indeed !!
And I'm glad your happy with it.

Mmmm, makes me want a shuffle to play around with!

Anyways... I'll try my best to answer your question. I know I know . . . I don't even own one, but I seeing your currently online and no one has responded yet, so I'll just give it a shot. Not sure if this is what you want though. Please don't get mad at me if this doesn't work.

I read earlier a few weeks ago on engadget that there was a tool where you can now drag in drop your MP3s in addition to your data files in explorer. Not sure how well it works, but here is the link !

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000390039631/

Seems like an alternative to itunes. I would definitely try it if I had one, never really was a big fan of itunes. Of course, I don't think this has the power to do your autofill thingies !

Well, check it out if you want and tell me how it works out. I'm curious too. If not, wait a lil bit more until someone who actually knows the answer to respond heeh.
tongue.gif

Enjoy your shuffle !

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 11
with shuffle, i use a program called xplay. i think you can get it on download.com . its free for maybe 2 weeks? then it costs $30. would probably work on multiple computers, but im not sure.... anyway, you can use free winamp or realplayer to load songs into the shuffle. or at least the bigger ipods.

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 11
Truffles! I could kiss you right now
600smile.gif

That does just what I wanted and has the added bonus of letting me junk iTunes!!
No GUI, no big install or messing around.

It is so neat, drag and drop the mp3s, run the 8kb in size utility and seconds later its ready to play
600smile.gif

Thank you very very much!

Apr 20, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Apr 20, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 11
so is the Shuffle different than the regular Ipod. I use the Ipod on 2 different computers and just drag and drop mp3's folder into the itunes add update my Ipod files.
So with the Shuffle I could not do this?

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by duff138
so is the Shuffle different than the regular Ipod. I use the Ipod on 2 different computers and just drag and drop mp3's folder into the itunes add update my Ipod files.
So with the Shuffle I could not do this?

Works for me too. If the name you have assigned on the comp is the same (mine is my name) then it will work. Otherwise I think it assumes the comp isn't yours and doesn't work?

Apr 20, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Works for me too. If the name you have assigned on the comp is the same (mine is my name) then it will work. Otherwise I think it assumes the comp isn't yours and doesn't work?

i have 2 computers, with 2 different names. one at work one at home. i'm constantly dragging mp3 folders from window explorer onto the ipod icon on the itunes and putting new stuff. then going to the different computer and adding new songs on.
i was just wondering if the ipod shuffle is different, so i could not do this, or can i?

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 11
The iPod shuffle is different. Apple, for some dumbazz reason decided to limit the shuffle's use to only 1 computer. One of the dumbest things they've done yet with the iPod.

Apr 21, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
The iPod shuffle is different. Apple, for some dumbazz reason decided to limit the shuffle's use to only 1 computer. One of the dumbest things they've done yet with the iPod.

thanks. I guess if I'll get one for my wife she'll be fine. Will not work for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back