Just got a pair of SR60 but :(
Feb 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JiNuWiNe

Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of SR60 from a member on this board and after a long session of listening to them... sad face
frown.gif

It seems that the left driver produces this hiss/crackling/raining noise (the best i can describe it) at certain frequency (can't pin point what frequency, it just comes and goes). Is it because these are defective??? The problem is most apparent in trance songs. I don't think the problem has to do with the file or player because everything sounds fine with my other phones.

What to do? what to do???

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 10
Sounds like grattle to me...

Here are someknown solutions that fix various causes for grattle:
-take off the affected ear pad and put it back on...this is how I fixed the grattle on my MS
-lightly suck on the affected ear piece
-If you see a hair pull it out

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 10
It could be the music also.. Does it happen with every trance song?

Some of my low quality trance songs will crackle in one ear at synth and bass parts when high quality songs don't.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 10
didn't know the problem was called grattle... i just did a search on grattle and found a few remedies like playing it really loud for a period of time.

i will report back with the end result.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 10
I agree with Mookowz13. First thing I'd look for is a hair touching the driver. If that's not the issue I'd chase down the other 'grattle' solutions.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 10
I had this problem with mine too once and I just put a blow dryer on cold air and placed it right on top of the driver and turned it on for about 15 seconds. Problem fixed. It's a fine piece of hair on the driver (a.k.a. grattle). Google it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 10
You might check to make sure it's not the song or source itself, instead of the phones.

I thought I had "grattle" in my MS1's, too... there's a few Jimi Hendrix songs that have this annoying "grattle" in the left ear at certain points in the song, and it always occurs during crescendo's in the song where they're really rippin' it and the diaphragm is really flexin'. So it almost seemed like there could be a hair stuck in there that rattle's at just the perfect frequency that only Jimi seems to be able to reach lol... because very few other songs have this "grattle". Seemed to be a low midrange frequency that Jimi likes to hang around in.

Just to test it though, I stuck my Sony's on instead, and low and behold --- they grattled, too. So it *wasn't* my MS1s... it was the song/file/source. Actually made me feel better, lol.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 10
Gave the Grados a royal treatment. Washed the pads, blow dried the drivers (low cold air), cleaned out any hair stuck to the driver then played it really loud for awhile. Now I'm enjoying the pure grado sound.
happy_face1.gif
Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back