Just got $10,000
Jan 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #46 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try audition stuff, if you have $10,000 spare... surely you have the means to find somewhere to try this stuff first.

He doesn't have 10K 'spare'. He has 1K to spend on audio, and plans to save the rest. Based on some of the recommendations he has been given in this thread, he should end up with a credit card bill somewhere in the teens once he's done.

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #48 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeroblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the 10,000 indeed! (and honestly, I am incredibly envious)

Your parents are right - invest most of it and spend a bit on audio stuff; I think you're entitled to a bit of splurging now and then
wink.gif

Tempting as it is to jump straight into hi-fi, it's a lot more satisfying to earn your equipment. Plus as you said, you can't really afford to make mistakes with hi-fi, especially with the components.

If you're building a full computer audio deck from scratch, you'll want a DAC, and amp, and a headphone or two (or three
biggrin.gif
).

When talking about computer audio, I believe that DAC's are a must. if you don't have a good source to start with, a hundred-thousand Dollar setup will sound like crap; likewise, even if you use lossless, if it's processed with a crappy soundcard, then it's all for naught. DAC's range from cheapo cables that have the DAC itself integrated somewhere along the line (not what you want, of course), to huge hulking boxes worth thousands, but really all you'll need is maybe 200~300 bucks for a really good one that'll last you years.

I don't have much experience with DAC's outside the KECES DA-151 which I got at a bargain (and love dearly), as well as a few other lower-end ones I've tried out like the SuperPro 707 DAC and the iBasso D10. One of the cheaper DAC's gaining attention is the NuForce uDAC at about 100 USD, so that might be of interest. Another good source is the EMU 0404 going at twice that price. Cambridge Audio's DACMagic looks pretty neat too, with all those inputs and outputs.

As for amps - you NEED an amp to make your cans shine, but you shouldn't need to spend more than $400 or $500 for a high-end, reliable amp - it's overkill, actually. Personally, I'd go with solid state because they are a lot more practical for non-audiophile listening. No warm-up and no need to tube-roll, they're very low-maintenance, and easier to work with compared to the hot and fragile vacuum tubes. Not that I'm dissing them or anything of course. Mind that all the amps below are solid state. One of the more oft-recommended amps is the Gilmore Lite so you could go with the tried and true path. Creek Audio's OBH-11 amp looks pretty neat too, but apparently the power supply sucks and necessitates buying their more expensive one! Audio-gd also seems to be highly regarded as a great value-for-money manufacturer too, so their C2C might be of interest.

For headphones - well, that's entirely up to you
smily_headphones1.gif

A good way to save a bit of money is to get a high quality combination DAC/amp (shouldn't be more than 500 USD for a good one either), and then spend the remaining money on say, a pair of really good home-phones, and then on a nice IEM for on-the-go use (if you want one).

Meier Audio's Corda Cantate looks good, but rather pricey at 515 bucks (and pretty darned stylish), as does Audio-gd's FUN for around 300, and KECES's DA-152 which goes for 475, though it only takes USB input. It'd be nice to save a few bucks by popping in the FS board to see if there are any good deals though.

As a final note, a lot of the stuff I noted here is around mid-fi level (IMO) and the amps probably will not be able to drive the really high-end headphones (HD800, K1000, etc.) to their best.

Edit: Forgot to mention as well: Another alternative is to just get a used Stax SR404 (should go for around 300~400 USD) and a DAC and you'd be set! I've never seen anyone make the switch back to dynamic, or give up on electrostats altogether after trying a pair out.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #49 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeroblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . I've never seen anyone make the switch back to dynamic, or give up on electrostats altogether after trying a pair out.

I have. I'm going to be refurbishing an old set of Stax soon, and if they don't change to my liking will probably be sold.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #50 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have. I'm going to be refurbishing an old set of Stax soon, and if they don't change to my liking will probably be sold.

If that's the case, do let me know - I'm thinking of getting a pair of 'stats and used really is the only economically feasible way for me LOL

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #51 of 82
Do you want to kill the fun? A quick perusal of this site will show you that headfiers are never satisfied. They get one can, then snoop around for another. There's no end to it.

I agree with your parents: invest. Let your money make money. My advice is to start small. Read up on different cans. Pick one that intrigues you. Play with it, then resell it, using that money to buy your next set of cans. Rinse, lather, repeat.

This will give you a chance to try lots of different cans and become knowledgeable about what's out there - without blowing a lot of money. Where this hobby gets most expensive is in holding onto previous purchases. If you resell, you can keep the costs in check. Be a taster, not a collector.

Then, when you get tired of playing the field and have found your bliss, you can stop. The only trick to this is to have the patience to buy your bliss at the right price. If you buy right, you can't help but sell right.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #52 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My criteria is that I want a system that will sound great and beat every other system under $1000, but is also listenable with 256k mp3s.

Very wise to keep the price under control in this first round. Keep in mind also that in terms of sound quality, imo the biggest factor is the headphone, followed by the amp & the dac is last. For the price difference between a cheap but decent vs. a higher end dac (>500$) you might notice a difference, but for that amount you could buy headphones that deliver much more noticeable improvements in sound. So spend accordingly (e.g the the Head-Direct HE-5 combo + <200$ dac). But even a 100$ dac (e.g. my udac) improves the sound of 256kbps files, so it's a worthwhile purchase.

Put the rest in an index fund (e.g. VTI) especially now that the market is in the torlet, and in 10 years the difference in returns from saved fees alone (in capital gains from not selling/buying and for managers who never beat the market, and clearly couldn't predict the future) will buy you the rig of your dreams.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #54 of 82
I also back the EF5/HE5 + µDac combo if you're being impatient, otherwise, try to go to a headphone meet up and try some different setups until you find something that works with your tastes.

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #55 of 82
Open up a stock broker account or equivalent and dump the money in there before deciding what to do with the money. The money will accrue some interest while waiting. Buying and selling may have to wait due to the market. Keep in mind that you may have to pay taxes on your winnings.

I agree with a few before. Start small, taste, resell and try another until you've settles on the ones you like with minimal loss.

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #56 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you want to kill the fun? A quick perusal of this site will show you that headfiers are never satisfied. They get one can, then snoop around for another. There's no end to it.

I agree with your parents: invest. Let your money make money. My advice is to start small. Read up on different cans. Pick one that intrigues you. Play with it, then resell it, using that money to buy your next set of cans. Rinse, lather, repeat.

This will give you a chance to try lots of different cans and become knowledgeable about what's out there - without blowing a lot of money. Where this hobby gets most expensive is in holding onto previous purchases. If you resell, you can keep the costs in check. Be a taster, not a collector.

Then, when you get tired of playing the field and have found your bliss, you can stop. The only trick to this is to have the patience to buy your bliss at the right price. If you buy right, you can't help but sell right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open up a stock broker account or equivalent and dump the money in there before deciding what to do with the money. The money will accrue some interest while waiting. Buying and selling may have to wait due to the market. Keep in mind that you may have to pay taxes on your winnings.

I agree with a few before. Start small, taste, resell and try another until you've settles on the ones you like with minimal loss.

I second the motion with you Bilavideo & fenixdown.
I think you have a great advices too.

May I add my favorite motto, too:
Buy only what you need not what you want.
And be happy like me.

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #58 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want a system that will sound great and beat every other system under $1000, but is also listenable with 256k mp3s. I use Napster a lot because I find it very convenient to listen to millions of songs for only $12 per month.

congratulations. but sock the money away, please - for what you are asking here is a contradiction in terms. there is absolutely no reason for you to spend anywhere near $1,000 if you're going to listen to 256k mp3s. enjoy them on cheap and cheerful powered speakers out of your computer, or get decent headphones that are fed right from the audio out, and use the money where it makes a real difference in your life.

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #59 of 82
Spend $1000. Bank the rest.
With your $1000 buy a K702 or HD6x0, and a amp/dac combo. Enjoy what you have and upgrade later...

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #60 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RSA B-52 + Balanced HD800 + Balanced D7000 + DAC + SACD player + SACDs. Done. You've just flushed ten grand down.

Did you read anything in the initial post beyond the part about 10K ? This thread should have been titled 'Just got $1000', but then it wouldnt attract posters like yourself, would it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back