just getting into headphones
Aug 8, 2012 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

eviling

New Head-Fier
alright how are you, so im new to the forum i was referenced here by many people when i inquired in another forum about headphones. so,  i have a background in electronics, i build mod computers, i build mod car systems im in the middle of a massive 4k$ setup in my monte carlo 04' right now which will be over and done soon, i want a nice set of refference headphones but i also want a pair that will also be usable and confortible and stylish. my price range is in the 200-300 maybe more maybe less. ive looked into many headphones but really i could use hunting skills. first off, what size drivers, what ohm ratings do better, who's got whats hot. i mean i know a little bit so far, grado is pretty much the stapple of every price range but idk if they have anything in my needs. they have fantastic high high end headphones that ive heard  will blow your mind but 900$ is far more than im willing to invest in a set of headphones XD 

Ithe set that REALLY has me peaked is the focal spirt one. which is a BEAUTIFUL setup. i was able to get it for 224$ i should bounced on that sonic just took it off but they do have a sale for a spirt one and a fiio e7 amp combo for like 264$ which is a really good price it hought but idk, is an amp worth the investment if i use allot of portables  like ipods phones and such? 

so hi, i'm ray. hope to learn some stuff here and perhaps find maybe a new hoppy :D 

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

Let's simplify:

What is your maximum budget for the entire setup?
What kind of music do you listen to?
What kind of sound signature do you favor (neutral, bassy, treble-heavy, etc)?
Do you need isolation or are you listening in a quiet environment and can use open-air?
Do you need portability or is this for home use only?
What kind of style, if any, matters to you?
Are you buying in the USA or elsewhere (matters for pricing)?

Very best,

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 13
well, i did cover allot of that i thought. but price is 200-350$(USD) the region is tghe US so yes it'd be ideal but i'm willing to import. 

I like an emersive sound, not to punchy but decent impact. i like a duller high end, i don't like a really bright top end, I like it warm and sparkling on the top but not to full, little lighter (which i beleive some might consider "sparkling" )  far as the middle section i really don't have a preference or am aware of one yet. 

the burdget is just for the headphones. i mean, if you have other advice on what kind of transport i should use rather than an ipod with a DAC\AMP hooked up, which i honestly don't know how good that will sound, my collection is of decent quality files but not all of it is top notch, not all of it is music that needs to be either, some of it simple music, some of it complex. i listen to massive range of music so really something that can handle a large range or things would be ideal. i also have many computers i'd likley use for these, far as sound card's and yada yada i can handle that on my own, i already have a top of the line gaming computer that has a steller sound card. 

house use mostly, i might also invest in a travel set that i could take with me for vacation or something but i can pick that set up later. right now i just want a good refference set to help me tune my new system in my car and for genral use, as i don't currently really have a nice set. i picked up a 35$ set i found a "Deal" but the left ear blew already -_- so, i also need something that can take some punishment. 

some of the headpohones ive looked into - 
Grado SR325is http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_24568_Grado-SR325is.html
focal spirt one  http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46427_Focal-Spirit-One-JMLSPIRONE.html
pioneer HDJ-2000 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_31581_Pioneer-HDJ-2000.html
b&w p5   http://www.crutchfield.com/p_749P5/Bowers-Wilkins-P5.html?tp=36775&kw=&org=pla&nw=g&crv=6620561065

i mean these are the few i'm looking at, i really am in favor of the focal but i think i'm really pulled from my car audio back ground and i'd hate to purchase purley on that premis with out at least hearing the opion on the headphones from somebody who know's what they're listneing to, most reviews i find aren't very informed. most are estetic reviews -_- 

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 13
Heya,

With your budget, I would focus on headphones that are easy to drive with minimal amplification needs so that most of your budget can go to the headphone itself.

Suggestions:

Open-air:

Hifiman HE-400
Ultrasone HFI 2400
AKG Q701
Fischer Audio FA-002
Beyer DT880/990

Closed:

Denon D2000
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K550
Fischer Audio FA-002W
AudioTechnica A900X
Beyer DT770 PRO

I think overall for your needs the AudioTechnica A900X or AKG K550 would probably be your best bet for the cost and your needs depending on where you are in the world. And they would function as portables. Minimal to no amplification needs.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Heya,

With your budget, I would focus on headphones that are easy to drive with minimal amplification needs so that most of your budget can go to the headphone itself.

Suggestions:

Open-air:

Hifiman HE-400
Ultrasone HFI 2400
AKG Q701
Fischer Audio FA-002
Beyer DT880/990

Closed:

Denon D2000
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K550
Fischer Audio FA-002W
AudioTechnica A900X
Beyer DT770 PRO

I think overall for your needs the AudioTechnica A900X or AKG K550 would probably be your best bet for the cost and your needs depending on where you are in the world. And they would function as portables. Minimal to no amplification needs.

Very best,

ive not much time but i looked up a few of these and the other two above. the one of the two above isn't even avalible i can't find anything about it, i didnt look hard but still lol i looked up the others found a very good review, and was turned off when i was told bright highs, ive never had good results with something that claimed bright highs. 

the dennon d2000 looks like a nice set, i did hear a comment about it being just slightly unsteady and i can kinda see it in the design, kind of a wonky design but it is solid construction, and the drivers got good reviews and were desibed in terms i liked. the only thing was the need to buy a pad and dif ear pads as well as they're rather thin as well. ima look into the rest of these than but im working on my cars build log (just got in from a 4 hour marathon in the boiling sun in my car installing the screen for the computer into my dash..4 hours yes, why i dont know >_< ) 

the only thing with the denon's is they're top top top of my price range :frowning2: so i'd have to wait to buy an amp (dont mind carrying around amp btw no biggy i already cary half a dozen electronics when i leave the house XD but it seems to be more expensive in the US, how much could somebody import one for me for? because these guys talking 180 £ and thats like what 250usd isn't it? :\ its like 1.43 to the £ i think  idk its been awhile since i been to europe :p tehe i went 7 years ago and the euro was like 1.55 euro to the 1$ :frowning2: 

oh, if anyone curiouse this is my car :) 

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Let me guess: Impala?

close, monte carlo. lol they are quite litlery the same in many ways though :) not to shaby of a guess. 
log > http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/115361-2004-silver-bullet-monte-carlo-sq-build.html its a long read, been working on this build for like a year and a half now (not the build just planning planning and more planning :)

edit : 

im reading this list further. i am very greatful that you took the time to make this list, ive made lists of things for people and people just never appriciate it enough to me..so i want to thank you for taking the time to do this :) the dennon is still one of my fav's, the AKG's are nice in their own way, feels like they'd make a better home\portable headphones but they don't sound like they'd produce a true reference sound, from what im hearing its more of an open sound. im also hearing the word "fast" whitch seems ambiguous to me as a descritpion of a driver. perhaps somebody could explain this one to me :) 

still only at like 70% of the list. their were the Ultrasone hifi's which accualy i almost had a set of those in a trade for an amp :frowning2: blah. but oh well, they are a nice pair, not a piar i had considred buying till i had been offered them in a trade, but after looking em up i found they seemed like a decent set. man this is so hard for me :frowning2: i want them all! :'( well most of them tehe.

ive been also looking up other sets on my own and comparing them to the list you had compiled. i just accualy watched a video i found on a set of grado RS2i's (450$ set) i thought it was inparticular an interesting review because he just simply let the video record the headphones, i was surprised at how well you can tell that these headphones sound exceptional O_O (i dod have a really good system on my computer) and man they are just sound so warm, maybe i'll just jump on the grado band wagon XD im surprised none of their stuff was in your list :\

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 13
i just went with the focals, i just kept coming back to them because they had the features i was most interested in and the quality and a brand im familuar with. although i was neck and neck with a [size=9pt]Audio Technica ATH-M50s/LE with the E7 amp combo or the focal with the E7. i looked into all those amps from them, the e19 is way to much for me. i think the e7 will do me fine. if i was tigher on cash i would of gone with the audio tech but i have subs i plan on selling for these so hopfuly this wont bite me in the ass :D [/size]

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 13
Shippment out :) it'll be here Tuesday ill post my feelings next week on how it works out for me. I don't think ill be disappointed I think I really underestimate what headphones can do :/

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back