Just getting into good quality audio - is Android phone a good enough player?
Jan 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Plantguy7

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm just getting into higher quality audio - going from ibuds to Yuin Pk3s and contemplating some full over the ear headphones. Is my Android phone (HTC Evo 3D) good enough to play high quality music? Right now I mostly have 320kbps MP3 songs on a 32gb MicroSD. Would a dedicated music player offer better sound for any reason at all? I also have a Creative Zen (Although I have to say, the interface sucks. Can that MP3 player be "rockboxed?" Also, is a portable amp like the Fiio e6 a worthwhile investment? If I do get a portable amp like that, will it work with my computer as well? This is probably a lot of questions, but thanks in advance for your help!

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 14
Is my Android phone (HTC Evo 3D) good enough to play high quality music?

If the sound you are getting through your earbuds/IEM's/headphones sounds good to you, then yes, your Android phone is good enough.

Never lose sight of the fact that it's about the experience of enjoying your music, not about the experience of buying increasingly more expensive equipment, chasing after increasingly diminishing sound quality improvements.

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the reply! It sounds normal to me, but I was wondering if a noticeable gain could be had from a dedicated musicplayer/portable amp combo (mostly with the Yuin PK3 headphones, as those would be the ones I'd carry around). As for the spending money, I'm basically just looking to get the best bang for my buck, not spend thousands. If the player/amp combo sounds better and can be had for under $100 (which is think is possible - Sansa clip, Fiio amp, 32gb microsd), then that would be way worth it to me. I just want to make sure it'll be better before I actually buy it.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 14
i have a great mp3 player (sony a818), a Denon Receiver (AVR-591), a Fiio E7, and still my Xperia X10 does a great job as a player, not very different from my other sources. Its definetely good enough, and PowerAMP app gives me plenty of options to tune the sound.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 14
My Android is the best portable player i have ever had.
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 14
I do like the interface of PowerAmp, but yes it suuucks when calls come in while you are listening.  Was thinking of getting a android device just to use as a music storer.  I'd never use it for video and probably not even for streaming much.  I saw a Phillips one while poking around yesterday, have not yet determined if it sucks for sound.  Would still use phone or sansaclip for a lot of casual portable uses, like walking to the store, but need a DAP dedicated for use with portable bookshelf system.  Are all the android DAP's inherently bad on battery life?

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 14

but yes it suuucks when calls come in while you are listening.

No only calls. Messages (SMS & MMS) and others radio communications tasks stop the music playback on these smartphones.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm glad to hear that my Android phone is a fairly competent player! I'll probably use it for a while and then get a Sansa Clip Zip or something similar just to not kill my phone battery (and for the other reaons mentioned like texts stopped music playback - I've experienced that as well)

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 14
I have the Epic Touch 4g (SGS2). The current update is 2.3.6. The sound quality is decent with Power Amp and I can run on the battery pretty good for a day.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
it is an amazing player as long as you have a class 10 SD card

You do not need a class 10 card for listening to music. The only difference between a class 4 card and a class 10 card is

1. how fast you can load the card if using a dedicated card reader, not the device the card will be used in.
2. the price of the card itself.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
You do not need a class 10 card for listening to music. The only difference between a class 4 card and a class 10 card is

1. how fast you can load the card if using a dedicated card reader, not the device the card will be used in.
2. the price of the card itself.

Let me rephrase what I said, using a class 10 card would make it a more of a player because it would take less time to put media onto the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back