Just getting into electronica. Any suggestions?
Mar 16, 2007 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

pedalhead

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi @. I've been starting to listen to a bit of electronica (using the genre term quite loosely) & would be interested in any suggestions. Here's what I've found so far that I quite like (I know these kind of skirt around the whole "electronica" genre somewhat!)

Chicane - Behind The Sun
Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Vangelis - Heaven & Hell
Daft Punk - Discovery
Conjure One -Extraordinary Ways

Any recommended listening based on that eclectic bunch? Cheers!

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 30
Eat Static - 'Prepare Your Spirit' et al.
Tonto's Expanding Headband -if you can find/afford their 'Rides Again' compilation CD! More easily available on vinyl is their first, 'Zero Time'. Pure Moog class.
White Noise - 'An Electric Storm' - a classic in it's time.

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 30
If you're into more ambient/dub stuff, check out Jairamji - Kindred Spirits. Absolutely mesmorizing! One of my favorite electronic albums of all time.

Also, I know that this is entirely inevitable, but you MUST check out Aphex Twin and Squarepusher - especially Aphex Twin.

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 30
i'm also just getting into electronica, a genre that i have not
respected for a long time. but now i'm coming around. i think
radiohead masters thom yorke and jonny greenwood were my
initial nudge. years later i started to like a little daft punk
and very recently i've found these:
vitalic - heavy electronic music, almost no vocals. similar to daft punk in that regard.
goldfrapp electronic/pop with female vocals. very cool.
Bitter:Sweet my favorite cd at the moment. classified as electronica but it's not very heavy at all. lots of strings and also female vocals.
also worth mentioning are Sia and Zero7 both are more
on the pop side of electronica but pretty good. i'll have to check out some of the heavier stuff mentioned in this thread.

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 30
Super, lots of great suggestions to investigate, thanks. On a tangent, I think I shall also investigate which cans are the best (within budget) for electronica. My beloved woody MS2s are strangely rubbish in this regard, easily losing out to my HD600s. Can't help but feel I could do better than those though. Anyway, that's another thread. Keep the recommendations coming please!
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hudsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goldfrapp sucks, so does daft punk. That's what electronic knowledgables call ****** techno.
Aphex Twin (becuase he's worth two mentions)
Apparat
Arovane
Autechre
DJ Shadow
Four Tet (Trip Hop)
Ilkae
Jimmy Edgar
Kavinsky
Kettel
Kid Spatula
Kingbastard
Loess
M83
Sabrepulse
Squarepusher
Swod
Tycho
Venetian Snares
µ-Ziq

www.warprecords.com

lol well notwithstanding the elitist crap part of your post, thanks for the recommendations
wink.gif
. Gah, I hate that new smiley.

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 30
Other CDs that I like:

Jazzanova's The Remixes 2002-2005. Jazzanova, as the name suggests, has certain influence from jazz.
tongue.gif
Their sound is for the most part playful and imaginative. By the way, if you like the idea of blending jazz and electronica, check out The Verve Remixed.

Brazilian Girls by Brazilian Girls. No idea why they are called like that; they are actually Italians. The singer is amazing; she can sing in 4 or 5 languages and her voice is sensual and charming. From this CD, I especially like a version of a Pablo Neruda's poem.

In Full Color by John Beltran combines electronica with Latin rhythms. Very cool stuff.

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 30
Neon Golden - The Notwist.

Please check out this album, I love it. Anytime someone mentions electronica, I start pimping this straight away. It's in my top 10 albums of any genre. Please,please check it out.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 30
First, I definately agree with the Aphex Twin and Squarepusher recommendations.

I also suggest Amon Tobin. Permutation is a great place to start. He messes heavily with jazz samples, and his drum programming, in particular, is spectacular. While he is often lumped in with Jungle/Drum n Bass, I think his work is far, far too varied and individual to be neatly filed in any category.

Edit:

Oops, also gotta mention Matmos. A Chance to Cut is a Chance to Cure is assembled from samples of the sounds of, no lie, surgery. Including liposuction. Incredibly cool, and much more than a novelty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back