Just found a great headphone amp...
Dec 10, 2005 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Michael G.

100+ Head-Fier
Just a heads up... Bryston 2B LP, 60 watts per channel SS. A few versions of this amp are available. My version has XLR inputs and a headphone jack on the face, typical of the "Pro" version. But unlike mine, the Pro version has volume controls on the front panel. The headphone jack is powerful - I'd bet it'll drive any headphone with tons of headroom to spare. My K-1000's have an inline 1/4" plug installed in the cabling. No problem at all driving my AKG K-1000's via the Bryston's headphone jack - about 10 to 12 o'clock on my preamp's volume knob provides more than sufficient gain. Background noise levels are typically low, but this amp provides a bit too much gain for Grado - even though they sound awesome you can hear background hiss during quiet passages. I'd definitely say the circuit is optimized for 120 ohm (and higher) headphones. The overall sound quality with my AKG K-501's is ultra clear, perhaps a bit "forward" in character, but the listening is non-fatiguing. Tons of detail and dynamic headroom to spare. With my buddy's Sennheiser 650's the sound is sparklingly clear and the midrange might jump forward more than we're used to, comparing the Bryston to his MG Head (not a bad thing with the Senn's, IMO). I like the sound from the speaker outputs best while driving the K-1000, but I don't think this is because the headphone jack lacks the necessary voltage output. It's just that the sound is slightly richer when I tap the main outputs. Perhaps that's because of the higher quality connections, or maybe it's the custom cable tail made by Orpheus that is making the difference. Best of all, there is no stridency in the highs with the K-1000 - just smooth, clear, dynamic, and nuanced sound across the spectrum. And cohesiveness! Music just flows through this amp. Bass is very deep and powerful, though not as quite as tight as I was used to hearing with my old "Class A" SS amp. But the added sense of mid-bass bloom is actually somewhat welcome with the K-1000. Maybe best of all, this amp is a soundstage champion. The (ahem) soundstage has exploded since this amp has been in my system. Some people are of the opinion that the K-1000's can use a lot more power than the 10 watts or so that is the usual recommendation. Maybe that's true. This amp is considered to be a kind of modern classic in some circles, and all I can say is that now I've tried the Bryston myself I'll tend to agree with that assessment 100%.

Dec 11, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Very interesting. How old is the 2B; no longer in production I presume?

Do you know whether the jack has its own opamp or is it in line with the main circuit?

Dec 11, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Very interesting. How old is the 2B; no longer in production I presume?

Do you know whether the jack has its own opamp or is it in line with the main circuit?

While the 2B LP has been superceded by the newer, more powerful SST model, the 2B LP "Pro" (XLR inputs, headphone jack, volume controls, etc...) is still in production - and it is essentially the same amp as the 2B LP was. It should be noted that the "2B" is not the same amp as the "2B LP". The 2B is an older version, and it is usually said that the B series amps were not as refined sounding as the later LP series amps. The newest SST series amps are said to incorporate a number of minor improvements over the LP models. Personally, I like the looks of the 2B LP amp more than I do the new SST amp - the LP amp is a thinner, lower profile amp and the frontal cooling fins give them a mean, purposeful look.

Dec 11, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
Look here: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89282

Thanks for the link. As I've noted already, the 2B LP "Pro" is the version that normally comes volume controls, XLR inputs, and a headphone jack. The "standard" 2B LP has RCA inputs, no volume controls, no headphone jack. My version has the headphone jack and the XLR inputs, but no volume controls. And, I believe that there is another version that has both RCA and XLR inputs on the back... The version I own and is arguably the cleanest and most useful configuration for the purposes of the home audiophile. It's nice having the XLR balanced inputs even if, like myself, you only have a single-ended preamp. XLR is superior to RCA for connection purposes, and you'll always have the option of going to a balanced preamp in the future. I had a set of XLR male to RCA male interconnects made up especially for this application, but Cardas also make a nice adaptor for this purpose. The Bryston 2B LP XLR jack is wired with #3 pin hot. If one is to use an RCA to XLR adaptor or interconnectwith the 2B LP, you should make sure that #3 wire is hot to RCA positive, and that the #2 and #1 XLR pin wires BOTH go to ground on the RCA end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back