Just finished my Meta42 (pics)
Apr 3, 2003 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mhamel

500+ Head-Fier
Everyone has their own version of "Maxed Out" for this amp, and this is my interpretation of a "Mostly Maxed Out" version. There's definitely more I could do with it, but right now it sounds pretty damn good.

First, I decided to go with an outboard power supply instead of the rail splitter/buffer. I went with the Gilmore power supply, based on the board from HeadAmp.com. It proved to be a bit unstable, but a few gray hairs and some spare parts later, it's running very well.

I also decided to go this route since I can use the power supply for many other amplifier projects. Now all I need to do is add the appropriate power jack to the chassis. Since I most likely won't be using more than one of them at a time, unless I sprout some extra ears or a 2nd head, it should make for a good "universal" supply.

On to the amp. Like I said, this is my version of "Mostly Maxed Out." I'm using 4x1800uF 35v Panasonic FC caps on the board, and 2x10,000uF Panasonic "Audio" caps (pulled out of a Yamaha surround decoder) off-board.

The resistors are all Beyschlag .40w 1% metal film. I've had very good results with these so far, so I'm sticking with them for at least the time being.

The input caps are 1.0uF Sprague Orange Drops, which I managed to fit onto the board, sort-of. A bit of creative lead-bending and some heatshrink tubing and it's all good.

Right now it's got an overall gain of about 11 - which I've found is a bit too low once the crossfeed board is installed. It's powering a pair of DT770Pro/250's, so I think I'll be happier with a gain of around 20-25.

I originally planned on going with a pair of OPA627s, but ended up with the AD8620. In this particular configuration, I found the 627s to be too dark. I think they had a bit deeper bass than the 8620, but overall I preferred the later. I am running it with the current source.

Buffers are 3x stacked EL2002s.

The pot is an Alps Blue 20K. I was trying to buy a 50K, but I got sort of impatient, and I had the 20K on hand, so in it went, and it sounds very good.

Input jacks are from Triode Electronics - they look a lot like one of the Vampire jacks from Welborne, but they're $2.95 each, and built VERY well.

The output is a 1/4" Neutrick locking jack.

You might notice the crazy huge mounting nut on the panel LED. I was looking for something that would work well in the panel thickness I was working with, and came across a few things on Allied's site. This is a "Vandal Proof" panel indicator... the thing is built like a tank, all stainless steel. Just in case vandals decide to attack my amp, at least the LED will be safe. :wink:

On to the enclosure. I was originally going to put it into a Hammond 1455 to match the power supply, but I couldn't get everything I wanted on the front panel in place, mainly because I wanted to keep the volume pot board-mounted. A few months ago I came across an old cigar box with a pretty cool shape, built very well, but dirty and a little beaten up. After some cleaning, the finish turned out to be in very good condition, and (to me at least) the other imperfections give it some character.

Unfortunately, I'm not really happy with the front panel layout. I really should have mounted the volume pot on the panel and run leads to the amp board. That way I could have moved the control knobs over to the right about another inch, then moved the jack over to the left to balance it out a bit. I should have also taken the time to do a mock-up in Photoshop before I started cutting... I would have also put the switch on the back panel. But, its ok for now, and f I come across another enclosure that really strikes me, I can always take this apart and redo it.

As for the sound... well, it's still breaking in... but so far - Wow. I'm very impressed. I'd previously been driving my DT770s with a CMoy or off of the headphone out on a modified Velleman preamp. Now I know what the term "Holy****Bass" is all about with these cans. They still need some EQ in the high end, but so far it sounds great!

The jury is still out for me on the crossfeed. Once the amp goes through a good break-in period, I'll spend some time listening to it and decide which way I prefer the sound.

Here are the pics - they are in no particular order:

Mike's Gilmore Power Supply

Mike's Meta42 Amp

-Mike

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 18
Jeebus! Thems some big orange caps!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the amp ****.
smily_headphones1.gif
Nice work there. I like the braided wire work. I think I'll do that when I assemble my Meta (60% done).

[edit] Nice cases too! Pretty.

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 18
Very nice work. Why didn't I think of braiding the wires in my meta42?

I also use mine to power DT770/250s. I only use battery power (plainview 9v). I thought my meta was sort of high-endish but no way - not even stacked buffers. I guess I should try that, I have some on hand. I also run about 11 gain with crossfeed, but it seems loud enough for me, rarely do I go more than 75%.

Only problem is - I was just going to get some pix of my meta, done a few weeks ago, on the web. But now I'm embarassed. I didn't even shrinktube the connections on my rotary crossfeed switch!

You've set the bar (or at least one of them).

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 18
Very nice work and great photos!

You might want to try shorting out the input caps for improved sound. Before you do this you can verify your source has no DC component...I haven't found one yet that did.

Apr 3, 2003 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 18
Cool stuff, Mike. I especially like your attention to detail in the wiring of the rotary switch. Tedious, but well worth it, IMO.

Apr 3, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 18
Thanks!! It's definitely been fun - my favorite head amp project so far.... and of course now that this one's done (aside from tweaks, of course!), I'd like to build a few more and get creative with some different enclosures, but I'm not sure what I'd do with them. Heh

Voodoochile - I think I'm turning into a heatshrink fanatic, but I agree, the extra time is worth it! :)

cj.9 - The knobs are Kilo knobs from Digi-Key. They're sized to fit a 1/4" shaft. The "27mm" dimension refers to the outer case of the Alps pot, not the shaft size.

Puppyslugg/Kurt - I thought about that during initial construction, but decided to go with the caps just to be safe. I'll probably be using the amp with a variety of different sources, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I could install a switch to bypass the cap when I know for sure the source has no DC. I'll have to play around with that and see how the extra wiring/switch affect the sound quality vs. the caps.

Hendrix/Sol - I like the look of the wires when braided, and it keeps things nice and neat. I'm not sure if a loose hand braid has any effect on noise rejection, but it certainly doesn't seem to hurt. The amp is absolutely silent.

Tangent recommended I try going with a 15 gain vs. jumping up to 20, so I will give that a shot. With the few sources I've tried it with so far, it's ranged from not having nearly enough gain (line out on my wife's MP3 player), to being more than loud enough at 75% (line out from a small mixing board I use as a source to test projects with). Since I don't have a particular source right now that will always be used, I'd like to bring the gain up a bit.

-Mike

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Further details on the knobs: they're the ML series, and they appear to be the 0.9" matte-finish variety. You can get them from several other places besides DigiKey, too.

Quote:

I'm not sure if a loose hand braid has any effect on noise rejection

Yes, it does help, because you're braiding the wires with a ground wire.

Apr 4, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by mhamel
Ok, tweaks already. :)

I ordered a matched set of Auricaps for C1. If nothing else it'll be good to compare them to what I've got in there now.

-Mike

Where does it end?!!
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back