Just Finished My First Real Ring! (Tell me what you think!)
May 3, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, nice work! Lost wax casting is one of my favorite things... such a pleasure.

So is that a pave stone setting you've got going on? How are you getting those in there, swiss hammer or just by hand?

Hey,you know what you are talking about!

Those are channel set then i use a hammer hand piece to push the metal a little over the stones to keep them in place.

May 3, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,you know what you are talking about!

Those are channel set then i use a hammer hand piece to push the metal a little over the stones to keep them in place.

Very cool. That's tricky, delicate work without aid of a handy swiss hammer. I don't think people realize how easy stones are to chip or crack, even diamonds.

I did metalsmithing through undergrad as a sort of extra major... went through all the courses for fun but didn't get a diploma in it. My favorite activity was always chasing... putting a plate in pitch and hammering a reverse image in one side of it. I tended to fabricate more than cast, but that was purely because of the spans of time between burnouts.

So what's next? Anything in mind? Man, you're making me wish I still had a torch.

May 3, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Far too chunky in proportions for my taste, but nice job, though.

-Ed

Needs a model with bigger hands!
wink.gif

May 3, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool. That's tricky, delicate work without aid of a handy swiss hammer. I don't think people realize how easy stones are to chip or crack, even diamonds.

I did metalsmithing through undergrad as a sort of extra major... went through all the courses for fun but didn't get a diploma in it. My favorite activity was always chasing... putting a plate in pitch and hammering a reverse image in one side of it. I tended to fabricate more than cast, but that was purely because of the spans of time between burnouts.

So what's next? Anything in mind? Man, you're making me wish I still had a torch.

Lol yeah i broke 3 diamonds trying to set the elbows in the channel. My next project im thinking about is making a necklace that is kind of like large ladder links maybe 2 inch and semi round and unfinshed and a coin of alexander the great hopefully something larger then 18mm as the pendant. Kind of a old rustic look. The only thing that is holding me back is i really dont want it to look like some rappers chain because i can't think of anything worst then that. Geez thats what i get for getting sucked into watching both seasons of rome. It really is a lot of fun when i go in my dads shop when im bored and go "Hmm im going to make a ring" and you end up with a sterling silver lions head ring that everyone calls simba and you dont ever where it again
frown.gif

May 4, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #39 of 42
I'd never wear it (I'm a minimalist personally, my watch is a 30 year old swiss army) but I have to admit I had a "wow, that's friggin cool" moment when I saw the pictures. Any chance of a complete step-by-step?

May 4, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #40 of 42
You know, I actually made a pendant like that for my sister, who is an anthropologist. Sterling silver base chased into a roman shield and with a coin set inside that was removable with little rotating latches so you could flip it to the side you were in the mood to see on that day. I've got this stock of worn leather I like to use for banding... so the whole thing looked about as old as the coin.

Heh, but I know how you feel... I made this belt a few years ago that was going to be awesome. Totally awesome. It was this cool shield with these sweet cast wings I had made from wax. I start wearing it, and people are like "Dude, what's with the Golden Snitch (Harry Potter) on your crotch?"

May 4, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #41 of 42
Lol at the Simba Ring and the Golden Snitch belt!

Do you guys have any pictures of them? I'd love to see them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back