Just Finished a 6BM8 Tube Amp
Mar 1, 2009 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sunseeker888

100+ Head-Fier
. . . This wasn't built from scratch, but was actually a stereophonic Motorola radio which I stripped down and modified for use as a standalone power amp for headphones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Tube rectified by a NOS EZ81, and Single Ended Motorola 6BM8's. I did briefly drive speakers off of it but the few watts per side didn't cut it with a 90dB/1w/1m speaker system.

So, Added a jack and we're good to go!

It sounds pretty nice overall, but will probably need a re-cap since there is a bit of hum with nothing playing. Not noticable on speakers, but when the speakers are strapped to your head it is!

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 6
The left channel OPT is visible, but the other is underneath the chassis (? there's plenty of room on top!)

I would guess this amp's high-end tops out at about 15kHz. FM doesn't go much higher than that, and it's got OPT's. And it needs a re-cap!
icon10.gif

But the realism is very cool. Thing SINGS.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 6
What a coincidence, I just picked up a Monacor receiver off Craigslist for $15. It uses two 6bm8 tubes and has a 6ca4 rectifier. It ran OK for 30 minutes (yeah, needs tubes), and now it looks like the cap next to the transformer is about to blow up.

Now, I'm torn. I may put it on eBay for $50. Perhaps I will re-cap it and get new tubes and use it in my basement laboratory when I'm soldering. I'm also considering using the chassis for my Bijou build. Decisions...
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back