JUST EXPERIENCED MY 1st .FLAC+HEADPHONE REVELATION! What's yours??
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

syNRG

100+ Head-Fier
ok sorry guys this probably isn't the right place for this...but i didn't know where else to put it

So just like 10 mins ago, i had this revelation. I was playing a .flac file of Smooth Criminal by MJ using VLC media player through my HM5s(because i have nothing else to play .flac files)...and as the song came on, I heard breathing in the background. And I was like...the heck? I've never heard that before. So i went into itunes, and opened up a mp3 version of Smooth Criminal that I've had for ages and it played...and I heard no breathing in that .mp3 file. So i went back to the .flac file just replaying it over and over to make sure i wasn't hearing things...AND NOW
MIND=BLOWN

[size=medium]I was lying in bed and I sat up and pushed the right ear cup toward my head just to make sure i wasn't going mental.  [/size]
So yea...I didn't really know where to go to explain this. I didn't really know who to explain it too, 'cos no one is society really cares about .flac or headphones other than beats so I decided to post here.
So I want to know what was your first moment like that...where your perspective of audio changed? Or you underwent a revelation? I don't know how to describe it, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 37
Man, you never listen to CDs before? i feel for you, go and buy some real CDs!

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 37

Quote:
Man, you never listen to CDs before? i feel for you, go and buy some real CDs!

Yea I have, but that was a very long time ago :p
Longer than I remember. I walk into store, and just go past the CD section because I just download all my music now :p

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 37
I don't quite remember my first time listening to a FLAC track but I do remember listening to some MJ as well and I remember it was amazing! Most recently though I listened to the musical soundtrack for the Broadway Musical, Wicked, and it was Great! Granted, the track was in FLAC but the recording itself was clean and the sound stage was really brought out in my headphones. It sounded very cool.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 37

Quote:
mad my zune 30 doesn't support flac, oh well this was years ago on the purchase before I got into this stuff.. 

It supports .wav files though doesn't it? You could use uncompressed .wav files if it does

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 37
Smooth Criminal eh? I'll give that a try. Even with my HD800, to this day I haven't really heard a real, 100% noticeable difference between FLAC and 320kps MP3.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 37

Quote:
Smooth Criminal eh? I'll give that a try. Even with my HD800, to this day I haven't really heard a real, 100% noticeable difference between FLAC and 320kps MP3.

That's the only song i seen a difference with so far. The breathing i never noticed before. Let my friend listen, they never head it either. AMAZING! :p
I'ma try pick out differences as I go along, but they'd have to be pretty damn obvious if i were to pick them out

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 37
It supports .wav files though doesn't it? You could use uncompressed .wav files if it does

His best bet for compatibility's sake is to rip using the Zune software or Windows Media to WMA Lossless. Or convert his FLAC files using some freeware program. My 30GB Zune was really glitchy when it came to loading files; so much so that I can't believe I ever put up with it now that I have an iPod. People say what they want about Apple products being overpriced and whatnot, but their software has always been rock solid in my experience, especially compared to the competition.

Sorry, I don't mean to tear down your Zune. I used mine happily for about 2 years and still, despite it's many issues, have fond memories of it. The sound quality is great and some of the features are pretty cool, too.

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 37
Lossless CDs and FLAC differ not slightly from MP3, you have to know what you are looking for!
For example when doing comparaison focus on:
-treble: lossless has real cymbal sounds, define and true to life, while MP3s 320kpb sound like artifact "splash" sound that is undefined and harsh, like white noise if you prefer.
This is due to the complexity of the frequency response involved in a cymbal recording. Focus on this, because on pop music and mainstream music in general, you don't need that much resolution, much less than classical.
-If you listen to classical, well you should have noticed a resolution change with lossless and mp3, especially during big fortissimo in orchestra. On mp3 even the higher bitrate, fortissimo is are mushy and congested, the sound is distored in a kind of way, while on CDs and lossless the fortissimo are IMPRESSIVE!!!!
If you don't listen to classical, try the track "bring the boys back home" from the legendary The Wall Pink floyd master piece! Make the comparaison and from now on you will know exactly what are the indisputable advantages of lossless and CDs over the lossy MP3!

You need high end music to really make a difference! Not that Sepultura isn't a good band, but their recording standard are lesser that what is needed in a orchestral recording!

IMHO, lots of youngster don't "GET" classical music because they don't have enough money to buy a sound reproduction system to enjoy it!
Classical is the HIGH END in music! Technically, sonically, theorically, artistically, humanly!
Classical is not stained by the bitchy music industry making dollars and advertisement...

All that to say, find The Wall album and listen to it from beginning to end in LOSSLESS!!!!

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 37

Quote:
IMHO, lots of youngster don't "GET" classical music because they don't have enough money to buy a sound reproduction system to enjoy it!
Classical is the HIGH END in music! Technically, sonically, theorically, artistically, humanly!
Classical is not stained by the bitchy music industry making dollars and advertisement...

hahahaha. I is a youngster and I'm going to be honest, I rarely listen to classical music. I was exposed to it when I was young, but for me, without lyrics, classical falls somewhat short of the mark. I can appreciate it in short burst, and I understand why it's beautiful, but overall, it's not to my taste.

I went to an orchestra in Hong Kong, an American one, and enjoyed it for about 20-30 mins...but it eventually dyed down.

When I compare classical music some of the lyrics and rhythm behind Tupac's music and Eminem's earlier work, I have to go back to it. It's just tastes and preferences. I love hearing of the struggle, and victory of those who had nothing.

I also must admit that I was one to fall for advertising (all advertising but Apple's) and bought whatever was "hip" (except for ipods). Since then, consumer wise, I've grown smarter. I must agree to some point that today it's all about money. But it's always been money (history's said so) and you can't blame our nature. I think we've been to caught up in looking down at our phones and PMPs to really appreciate what's there when we look up. Meh, maybe I'm being too philosophical. Anyways I guess I'll eventually have to try classical if I want to see what I've been missing.

thanks

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #13 of 37
Beethoven was deaf by the end of his life, a musician who is deaf talk about stuggle in life!

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 37
Try maybe short pieces beforehand, because an entire symphony is likely to make any profane fall asleep! If you can find try the openning theme from Sailor and Lula David Lynch movie. It's called "Im Abendrot" written by Richard Strauss.
In classical the orchestra and mostly the conductor is what makes the final sound enjoying or not. Lynch's pick was good on that version it is so emotional! Try to find this BO, it's pretty good.

And Richard Strauss is one of the most intelligent "story teller" in music, so dramatic and readily enjoyable by anyone!

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 37

Quote:
Lossless CDs and FLAC differ not slightly from MP3, you have to know what you are looking for!

I used to believe this as well, but at some point I did try a double blind test comparing FLAC and (properly encoded!) MP3's, and found that I was unable to hear a difference. For comparison, I was quite clearly able to distinguish between FLAC and 300 kbps OGG files.
Did you try a double blind test yourself? I am not saying that you are wrong, but perhaps I did indeed not know what to listen for when comparing FLAC and MP3.

However, one thing I am sure about, is that the quality of the original recording, the mixing and mastering are a hundred times more important than the tiny difference that the container format may or may not make.
I often wonder why poeple would want to use FLAC (or even WAV) flies on a portable player, it seems a bit silly to me unless the player is used as a source for a home system. For portable use V0 LAME encoded MP3 files are perfectly sufficient. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back