Just completed 1st rig! Happy!
May 18, 2011 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FLCL

New Head-Fier
Just as the title says :). Just received my amp yesterday night, but I had to wait until tonight to transfer music to my ipod and charge it (that was a long day at work lol)

anyway, so here's what I have going right now

- iMod w/ rockbox iPod 5.5g 80GB
- ALO LUX-FEP 18awg occ V2 interconnect
- iBasso D4 Mamba
- DT880 Pro (250 ohm)

Right now I decided to listen to Mozart concerto's as I was listening to them earlier on my work computer with ipod whites. I am absolutely amazed, it's like an entire new world has opened up for me. Everything is so clear and open, I can hear all the instruments instead of them mashing together into a noise. By comparison everything seemed so compressed and walled in when I listened to it on the computer with the ipod headphones.

It's an entirely different experience between the two, almost like I am now in the audience of this fantastic performance instead of listening over an intercom in the bathroom. I'm so excited :D this is the best recording I have ever heard in my life. I will definitely try out different music tomorrow, but right now it's 4:15 in the AM so this music is perfect ^^;

Everything has so much depth now, notes no longer are just a fleeting shallow sound. I can hear the subtle low bass notes in the background while still hearing perfectly flutes and violins. Of course this is in lossless format, but it's just amazing, this much difference! To think it gets better O.O;

I just wanted to share my experience with someone else who would understand lol. I don't know any other people into hifi audio personally (yet) so I wanted to post :)

May 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 10
FLCL - good for you... It's very rewarding when you are as satisfied as you seem to be!

I'm sure you'll have read this already but in case you haven't, listen to the best quality music you can lay your hands on. Now that you have quality gear get quality rips.

Lossless is your friend.

May 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Congrats on the fine set-up.  I was strongly considering the Ibasso line of amps before going for the Hifiman HM-601 DAP/AMP combo.  It's a great feeling when you first hear an amazing set-up.  Wow, I just looked up the interconnect, it's as expensive as the AMP.  Let us know if you notice a significant difference between a low-end vs high-end LOD cable.

May 22, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks guys, I'm trying to build up a larger lossless collection. I also realized that some of the lossless I have might need to be re-ripped only better this time lol >.<

and WNBC, I only have this LOD cable right now so I don't think I can really give perspective on the differences unfortunately :frowning2: not right now anyway.

Do any of you know where I can find some good information on quality ripping to lossless? Thanks

May 22, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 10
You certainly set yourself up well straight away, and saved money from having to upgrade in the future(If you had bought less quality parts).

Well done.

May 23, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 10
I think it's inevitable that a pair of DT880s are in my future 
dt880smile.png

May 23, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 10
Oh, and feel free to post some photos! Sound quality aside, I'm sure that's a nice looking rig!!!

May 23, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 10
A lot of people use dbPoweramp.  If you google it you'll find lots of positive reviews.  I found ripping CD to FLACs and MP3s a breeze with it.  Plus it supports multiple CD/DVD drives so you can rip multiple CDs at once, which can be useful if you are just starting to rip a digital library.  I've also used MediaMonkey and J River players because they support CD ripping.  However, I find dbpoweramp to have a cleaner interface and out of the three it's main business is ripping.  I think it is also free for 3 weeks or so.

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'm trying to build up a larger lossless collection. I also realized that some of the lossless I have might need to be re-ripped only better this time lol >.<

and WNBC, I only have this LOD cable right now so I don't think I can really give perspective on the differences unfortunately
frown.gif
not right now anyway.

Do any of you know where I can find some good information on quality ripping to lossless? Thanks

May 25, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 10
Awesome, thanks for the info WNBC, I'll have to read up on dbpoweramp.

Also, calipilot and anyone else, here are some photo's I took of the rig

http://i.imgur.com/02M07.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OASBZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/w2M5B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tIsQB.jpg

Sorry for the quality, bad lighting lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back