Just can't decide. SE215 vs HF5 vs X10
Dec 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mfprez

New Head-Fier
Hey. Need a little help deciding which IEMs to buy. This will be my first IEM purchase so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with either of the Shure SE215, Etymotic HF5 or Klipsch X10s which have all caught my eye within the price range available. At the moment the SE215's are nudging it for me.. I like the sound of having 'bass impact', but not at the cost of high clarity. The Etymotics sound like they could be a bit more balanced. The Klipschs I have heard bad things about build quality, but what do these sound like compared to the other two?

I will be listening to all sorts of music with them, but mostly electronic, instrumental hip-hop, post-rock and 60s/70s rock. Build quality is important as I will be mostly using them for exercise and when out and about as I have KRKs for home listening.  

In addition to the 3 iems mentioned, also on the shortlist are the sennheiser IE7s, westone um1, hifiman re0 and monster turbines.

Looking for clarity, good soundstage, not too much bass but a good amount and good built quality.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 16
How about the Westone 1? The fit and comfort for the Westone series are fantastic. Fit your need in looking for a earphone with clarity and good soundstage. One my friends is using the Westone 1 for his daily jog. If it still works for him, that should be durable enough.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 16
How about the Westone 1? The fit and comfort for the Westone series are fantastic. Fit your need in looking for a earphone with clarity and good soundstage. One my friends is using the Westone 1 for his daily jog. If it still works for him, that should be durable enough.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 16
I have hf3 and bought my wife x10 for Xmas at 110$ off of amazon. I really like the x10. Comfort wise it is better than the etys and I like the sound better as well. They sound fuller and brighter. The bass is definitely nicer. As a comparison I also have um miracles and esw10 over ears. In comparison to the esw10. I notice dimished soundstage and overall flatter sound on the etys whereas the x10 have a more comparable overall experience to the esw10. Although a very different sound sig. When I ab the etys with the esw10 they sound lacking in comparison

I am comparing a $500 headphone to the universals so its not unexpected but the point being that the overall experience is in the same ballpark with the x10 to me but not with the etys. All three fall quite short on the miracles though:p

Any rate I wouldn't pay 350 for the x10 but in the same price range as the hf5 I'd take the x10 hands d
own. I think the imaging and clarity is quite good on them with way more enjoyable bass

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 16
Since you are looking for clarity, I would either go for the HF5 or the X10, the SE215 lacks in the top end of the spectrum and rolls off very early.  All three have equal build quality, the X10 was reported to have a bad cable but it has been fixed in the newer revision, guy on the forums reported having his for three years now with daily gym use and they are holding up fine.  X10 is darker/warmer with more low end then the HF5 however the HF5 is much more accurate.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the responses.

I think I would prefer the x10s warmth to the HF5s accuracy - I got the KRK's for that. Good to hear about the improved build quality on the x10s though, that was the only thing that deterring me from purchasing them. Any thoughts on the IE7s in comparison at all? I can get them for half the price of the HF5s & X10s. The SE215s sit in between. 

Out of all those the x10s are the only ones I have tried as well and enjoyed the lightness and snug fit. Definitely much closer to a decision now, thanks :)

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 16
The Etymotic HF5 offers superb clarity in mids and has extended highs with good bass response and they don't need AMPs help to sound there best. But under this price range i will also recommend the Sony EX600, JVC FXT90 for more punchy bass and clarity is amazing on these IEMs with good built quality.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 16
It depends on your ears. But it should alright as long as you have average sized ears. And if you will have fit problem that you couldn't solve you can return your pair back to amazon.

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 16
I have the IE7s and recently got the X10s from the Amazon deal. To me, the IE7s do just about everything (soundwise) better than the X10s. Their base quantity and quality is comparable, but the IE7s have MUCH better mids. The IE7s are very detailed, yet they are still warm and easy to listen to. Vocals also sound more natural on the IE7s than the X10s.

That being said, the X10s are unmatched for comfort and ease of use. Fit can be finicky with the IE7s and they have very poor isolation. If you want a more in-depth comparison or more details, let me know.

BTW, at the price you're suggesting you can get the IE7s, I'd be wary of counterfeits (look for an authorized dealer).
Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

I think I would prefer the x10s warmth to the HF5s accuracy - I got the KRK's for that. Good to hear about the improved build quality on the x10s though, that was the only thing that deterring me from purchasing them. Any thoughts on the IE7s in comparison at all? I can get them for half the price of the HF5s & X10s. The SE215s sit in between. 

Out of all those the x10s are the only ones I have tried as well and enjoyed the lightness and snug fit. Definitely much closer to a decision now, thanks :)

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 16
X10 hands down. It has amazingly substantial and involving bass, yet still able to present excellent clarity and separation.

The only downside of the X10 is that it doesn't do large ensembles too well. Big symphonic orchestras, etc sounds a bit off. But only if you know the material very well. 

X10 does feel a bit flimsy but I think it's definitely worth it. Why would you get SE215, which is bottom of the Shure's line, when you can get X10, which is TOP TIER?

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 16
the x10's are super flimsy. so if your careful with them they are nice headphones. just be aware that you will need to be very careful with them. they are probably the most comfortable iem ive used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back