Just bought the Sony V6's .. awesome!
Oct 18, 2001 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Cerulean

New Head-Fier
I was a slient lurker over the past few days reading lots of the posts regarding various headphones .. was originally going to buy either the 7506 or AKG 240M (most likely the 240M's due to price & recommendation from a friend) but after reading this forum ended up getting the V6 .. they arrived today at noon, been listening to them for the past 8 hours and have been very happy with the quality -- The clarity is awesome -- provides a completely new dimension to the music --- so anyways, just wanted to say thanks for the positive posts, making up my mind to get the V6's and ultimately saving some $$$
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 20
Great purchase, those are excellent headphones, as you're finding out. Enjoy the music, man!

Oh, and welcome to Head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 20
Yay...there are a great headphone for the money.

I was in the same position as you several months ago and I auditioned everything I could get my hands on.

Grado 60s, 80s, 125s & Amber Pro (similar to the 325s)
Senn HD 580, 600, 25sp
AKG 301, 501 and the studio monitor (240DF?)
Sony MDR-CD580, DJ700, MDR-7505, MDR-7506.

The 7506s (can't get the V6s in Australia) met all my requirements:

Great Sound
Portability & construction
Visceral bass impact
One-sided cord

That said, I can see how some people find them a bit too 'clinical'. I loved the 'colour' of the Grados, in particular the SR60s, but bass impact and construction were big issues for me. One day when I have heaps of money and all my pockets have holes burnt in them, I will buy some grados just for guitar music - I felt this is where they excelled for my listening habits.

Otherwise, ambient, electronica and most other listening, the 7506s are wonderful! I just wonder why the V6s don't get the same accolades in HiFi mags as the SR60/80s????

Oct 18, 2001 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

I just wonder why the V6s don't get the same accolades in HiFi mags as the SR60/80s????

In October, for the first time, they were mentioned in Stereophile's Recommended Components list
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 20
Cool, I didn't realize they had made the Recommended Components list.
cool.gif

Oct 19, 2001 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 20
Cool - it's about time - there has been an audiophile bias against Sony, for good reason partially - some of their products stink and have low quality control. Maybe their SACD players have earned them some respect amongst the audio community
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2001 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 20
I think that's probably true. FWIW, the October stereophile also has several Sony speakers in their top RC categories, and one of the reviews also has great things to say about a Sony ES preamp that retails for $700.

Oct 19, 2001 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 20
Congrats Joe on your purchase! An awesome choice!! My only caution;
Watch out, now you're on the Hi-Fi road and it only ends after your pocket book does!
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy Listening!

Oct 20, 2001 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 20
yup, three weeks sounds about right. In fact, here's my prediction of how it goes: because you will have become used to the V6's isolation, you will first decide to get a second closed can in hopes of a better soundstage and what you call "smoother, less fatiguing treble." You'll ponder your decision but finally decide on the Beyerdynamic DT250, and you'll also get a nice amp to go along with it. But after a while you'll become obsessed with open cans. You'll question your self-worth for months, go in and out of mental institutions, inevitabley turning to alcohol. Ultimately, in a fit of rage, you'll order both the K501's and the HD580's from headroom. you will later sell the DT831's but keep the DT250's for portable use. Afterward you will contact JMT about an altoid amp.

Yup, you have a bright future ahead of you!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 20
Neruda: Or not
biggrin.gif

Seriously - I didn't buy another can after my KSC-35 for a WHILE (several CDs later, AFTER getting amp
biggrin.gif
- thanx again, JMT).

Meh.

Oct 20, 2001 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 20
Oh well, I don't want to get started on my headphone problem! I've had the bug longer than many of you have been alive!
laugh2.gif
lol2.gif
icon_smile_lachuh.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back