Just bought the DE-J725...
Aug 2, 2001 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 25
Arnett, I just did the exact same thing. Already have a Sony D-E446CK (1999) thats gone through 2 years of heavy use and I bought a second D-E446CK used at Future Shop. I went in there and they happened to have one lying in the area where they keep beat up old cd players so I bought it on impulse. It works and sounds great. Now I have my old one for parts in case the headphone jack or anything breaks.

btw I also have a Panasonic 470 that doesn't sound as good as the Sony. I wanna get rid of it. It feels like it might break soon anyways.

Aug 3, 2001 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 25
Unfortunately, my walking foot is heavy enough to cause some skipping with all of those older ESP2 CDPs even with ESP2 turned on!
redface.gif
And my D-EJ721's headphone amp is crappy. Oh, well...
frown.gif

Which do you want me to do for portable listening? Revert to old-fashioned analog audio (e.g. cassette, FM), invest a lot of money on digital audio technology other than CD (e.g. MD, MP3), buy a portable headphone amp to use with my existing PCDPs, or continue to use my 721 and put up with the crappy headphone output?
confused.gif

Aug 3, 2001 at 1:53 AM Post #18 of 25
Deuce_Bigalow,
my brother has a d-e446ck. i think i'll try to trade him my pano 470 for his 446ck. if not, i'll be back up at the sony outlet store in birch run. hey, it's probably only 6 hours or so from toronto (take 401 east, then connect to the 402 which connects to 69 and take 75 north!) so you coulld drive over and stock up on 4 or 5 d-e776ck's.

Aug 3, 2001 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 25
chych- my D-EJ01 sounds just like fiddler's description of his Sony-noisy, dull, coloured, no dynamics... I posted a big review at audioreview and headwize a while back, i still feel the same way about it... (2/5 for value, 4/5 overall)

Dynamic means differences between louds and softs. So a dynamic amp would be able to accurately and quickly reproduce soft passages and loud passage. With these Sony's, they seem to run out of steam when the volume suddenly increases. For example, drums sound "dulled" and have no impact because the amp can not supply power quickly enough...

Aug 3, 2001 at 4:37 AM Post #22 of 25
Eagle Driver, turning on ESP on my cd player doesn't seem to make any difference at all for stopping skips. It works just as good with it off. I can't walk with it in most pockets but I can with it in my hand.

Thanks Thomas, I understand dynamics now.

Aug 3, 2001 at 4:00 PM Post #23 of 25
I can't believe that Sonys "Anniversary" Discman (EJ01) is so bad?!? Thomas, is it that your expectations are too high? or... is it really a case that the D777 / DE905 players are REALLY that much better?

Aug 4, 2001 at 4:50 AM Post #25 of 25
Duncan, I guess my expectations are too high...

Basically, it is a great CDP overall, it has great battery life, amazing antiskip, cool slot loading, very nice cosmetics, good build quality (compared with everything else), very small size, and all the bells and whistles you could want (backlight LCD remote with Cd-text!)

So for the average consumer, it is an absolutely amazing CDP...

But i'm an audiophile, and none of those featuresa are as important as sound quality. So i usually judge value based on sound for for you money, and in that respect, the D-ej01 blows. Out of the headphone jack, its worse than a $50 CDP, and it costs 7 times as much....

Or if i had to choose between a cheep CDP and Grado 325s/Senn 580, or just the D-ej01, you know which one i'd choose....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back