Just bought Shure e3c's
Feb 2, 2005 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

elbastardocalvo

New Head-Fier
After lurking for quite some time and assessing my needs (I am by no means an audiophile) and my music, I decided to order the e3c's. I should get them in a couple of days.

I'm looking forward to this, as this is my first upgrade from my ipod pack-ins for portable use (I have an old pair of Senn HD 340's that I use, and really like, at home).

I'll post my nonn-audiophile impressions when I get the e3c's.

Thanks,
elbastardocalvo

Feb 2, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 25
Thanks. You're not nearly as sorry as my wife...
rs1smile.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
Thanks. You're not nearly as sorry as my wife...
rs1smile.gif

Oh, don't sweat it - my wife freaked about about my $150 ER-6i's just a few months ago, and then didn't even flinch when I told her I was getting the Sensas ($1100) last week ... Just give her some time, help her around the house a bit more, and she'll probably be fine. Of course, you could run far, far away from head-fi - would probably be much better for your finances (and possibly your marriage) ...
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
Oh, don't sweat it - my wife freaked about about my $150 ER-6i's just a few months ago, and then didn't even flinch when I told her I was getting the Sensas ($1100) last week ... Just give her some time, help her around the house a bit more, and she'll probably be fine. Of course, you could run far, far away from head-fi - would probably be much better for your finances (and possibly your marriage) ...
wink.gif

I think a few home renovation projects are going to happen before I let that monkey get on my back...

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 25
congratulations on a great purchase they are definitely a excellent phone.... be sure to allow them enough burn in time and post some of your impressions.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by emadgin
congratulations on a great purchase they are definitely a excellent phone.... be sure to allow them enough burn in time and post some of your impressions.
biggrin.gif

Will do. As for burn-in, I plan to simply leave them playing overnight, at relatively low volume. I'll use them during the process, so I get a sense of how they open up. Should be fun.

Feb 2, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 25
Enjoy!!! Welcome to the forum. Im thoroughly enjoying my e2c... very warm, resonant, detailed sound.
**edit**
IMHO the e2c DOES benefeit from 70 hours of burn in.
Garrett

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by emadgin
biggrin.gif

Also allow yourself reasonable time listening with each of the included tips, as there will likely be one that works best for you from SQ and comfort points-of-view.

Feb 2, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 25
...and don't hesitate to return them when you decide those high frequencies are important after-all...

Feb 3, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #13 of 25
This is my experience w/ Shure E3C (after using exclusively Grado SR60):

initial: Sounded very very claustrophobic and murky. I thought I had wasted my money.

later that day: Got used to the sound and noticed that they sounded very smooth in comparison to Grados. I liked that the highs didn't hurt my ears the way the SR60's did. I also loved the isolation that they provided while I studied. The isolation was amazing. I took plenty of time enjoying the welcome smoothness of the sound without having my ears hurt after only an hour of listening with Grados.

recently: I still prefer the sound of the SR60. Too much is sacrificed in the E3C. I honestly think the sound signature is similar to cheap sony headphones, except much much much more refined. Refinement is great, but I need open sound with detail and bass. I've recently started using my speakers which sound infinitely better, so I sold the E3Cs, and I accidentally screwed up the Grados while taking them apart to see what cool stuff I can do with them
tongue.gif
, no loss since I was gonna get something better anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Note: The "later that day" section refers to listening *after* EQing extensively.

Feb 3, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
Try the "Latin" EQ setting. It boosts the bass and brings out the highs some.

That's where I have been listening, both with the pack-ins and my Senns. Seems like a reasonable compromise.

Feb 7, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 25
Got my E3c's today and listened to them a bit over lunch. I can't really listen to music while I work (too distracting) so I only got about 30 minutes or so with them. I was able to get what felt like a good seal (I could feel the suction, like wearing a pair of ear plugs) with both the clear and grey flex sleeves (medium of both). Isolation was better with the clear, which I expected. I think the clear sounded better, but I didn't wear them long enough to really compare them. Comfort was a bit better with the grey (as opposed to the clear). I haven't tried the foamies yet.

Sounds was pretty good right out of the box. Source was my ipod 4g, unamped (which is how I will be using them almost exclusively). Keeping in mind that I'm coming from the ipod pack-ins, everything seemed more detailed and more clear. There wasn't any appreciable harshness. Bass wasn't booming (I played some bass-heavy Goldie drum-n-bass tracks that make my house shake with my subwoofer at home) but was certainly there and detailed. I suspect this will improve a) as I learn to wear them better; and 2) as they break in.

Speaking of which, I am currently running them playing music from my PC, stuffed in a drawer so as not to disturb me. This strikes me as a pretty easy way to break them in playing material that I will actually be listening to. Is there a distinct advantage to using sine waves and the like, as opposed to playing actual music?

Overall, this noob is pretty happy with his purchase. I am sure that, the more I wear them, the better my experience will become.

BHB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back