Just bought my first MP3 player...advice??
Jun 24, 2005 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
My wife and I just got our first home computer (I know we seriously lag) but I always have just used the one at work.

Anyways, I just picked up an Iriver H10 20gb as well and I would like to start transferring some cd's into it and doing the MP3 download thing.

I am assuming that since we got a computer with a dvd/cd burner it will be ready to rock without searching the net for certain software but any advise for a first-timer who has never done any ripping or anything of the sort might be useful. What can you pro's tell me?

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
This might help.

I second that. It may seem like a lot of work, but it's not that big of a deal to set up if you follow the instructions. I love my lame encoded mp3's.

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 8
I like J.River Media Center 11. I think they work fairly well with iRivers too, although I’m not certain (transfer etc). It rips (as good as EAC with LAME), organize and transfer, plus a lot of other stuff. It’s not free, though, and some people thing it’s too advance and thus confusing.

Another option is course EAC with LAME plus Windows Media Player for transferring.

Hope it helps, and have fun with your player.
-Rasmus

Jun 24, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the recommendations! It's gonna be a busy weekend!

...now if I can just understand all that computer jargon
blink.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Lo and behold, I have discovered LAME! Wow...what a difference. Thanks for the post, I never came across that web site.

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 8
You can keep it fairly simple. Install Exact Audio Copy, keep everything at stock options. Load up EAC, insert music cd into the drive. Then select Database at the top options and get the CD information so your tracks will be automatically named after ripping. Click on the .WAV button on the left and let it rip the cd. Load the ripped .WAVs into a lame encoder like RazorLame and convert to 320kbps mp3s, etc.

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm very computer literate and those directions seem out of control to me. I may give this a try just to see if my ears are good enough to tell a difference. However I'm already thinking that my 5gb player is too small so if this results in even larger files I may cry. My biggest problem now is that my recordings are at different levels so I need to keep the volume switch handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back