Just bought my first "high-end" headphones
Dec 13, 2011 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Matt V

New Head-Fier
I've been a long time reader of this forum, doing research on the $100 to $150 category of over the ear headphones for personal use. I wanted a set of headphones that I could use at the gym, at work (during breaks), trips and general use around the house and on the go. Now, I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile however I know good sound when I hear it and I appreciate nice equipment. Admittedly (almost embarrassingly) I bought a set of Beats Solo HD headphones after reading a bunch of Amazon reviews. I quickly searched on here after initial listening and being very disappointed. The Beats had a decent low end but mids and high were muddy.

Did more searching on here to find that the V-Moda Crossfade LP's were almost a direct competitor and found them for a much better price ($50 cheaper than the Beats). Returned the Beats and ended up with $50 back in my pocket plus the Crossfade's. One thing I immediately noticed was that the packaging and materials are superior with the V-Moda's. The case is vacuum formed and while a little bigger, is a lot better quality than the soft Beats zipper case. Concerning the headphones, no question the Crossfades kill the Beats in build quality. The near all metal construction mixed in with leather and some plastic proves to look and feel much more durable than the near all plastic Beats. The cables have a nice kevlar coating with one for an iPhone which I probably wouldn't use even though I have one. I don't see myself taking phone calls with these.

Initial listening comparisons were drastic. Were the Beats lacked in clarity, the Crossfades made up for by a long shot. These aren't as pronounced on the bass notes but make up for that with the mids and highs. The bass still sounds great on these, and there's a lot, but not nearly as boomy as the Beats. I listen to a lot of dubstep, dance, electronic, metal, along with rock (classic and modern) and these headphones seem to do well with all of them (with them shining when listening to dubstep).

Overall I'm happy, I know that these aren't liked by everyone on the board but for my uses I think these will work great. I hope to learn a lot from you guys. I'm currently letting them burn in overnight, let them play for about 8 hours at work and now just letting them sit until tomorrow evening.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 17
Glad you are happy with your first quality purchase. Now you have started the itch called upgradeitis lol. You will have to scratch it sooner or later.

Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet :)

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 17
Rather than starting a new thread, does anyone know who makes a quality cable compatible with these in the 8-10 foot range? I'd like to be able to listen with these from the couch at a safe distance.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 17
Radioshack sells cables for about $7 and are about 10' long. Since the sound won't change, just get something cheap, simple, and durable.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 17
I have a universal cable that's about 7 feet long but the plug ends are too fat and won't plug into my headphones.

And one more question, please forgive my newbness. What is a decent headphone amp that won't break the bank?

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 17
Try looking on amazon for Fiio branded ones. Anything above the e3 and e5 should be able to help boost the volume significantly without too much hissing and distortion.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 17
And can someone point me in the direction to how a headphone amplifier works and exactly what it does?

Trying to make sense of everything. I have a HTPC going directly to a home theater receiver via digital optical which goes out to my 5.1 but I'm trying to understand how I'd incorporate a headphone amplifier into that.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 17
Honestly, if you just have a V-Moda, a headphone amp isn't worth it. Headphone amps do exactly what they sound like they do. They amplify the signal they receive. If you have a loud enough sound coming out of iPod or even out of a A/V receive, there really isn't a power to having a headphone amp. Some amps do add some coloration to the sound that may sound pleasant to your ears but at your price range, you're better off upgrading your headphones first.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Honestly, if you just have a V-Moda, a headphone amp isn't worth it. Headphone amps do exactly what they sound like they do. They amplify the signal they receive. If you have a loud enough sound coming out of iPod or even out of a A/V receive, there really isn't a power to having a headphone amp. Some amps do add some coloration to the sound that may sound pleasant to your ears but at your price range, you're better off upgrading your headphones first.

Zo 2 should be well within budget for $100. Quite a good colouration for the price.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
And can someone point me in the direction to how a headphone amplifier works and exactly what it does?
Trying to make sense of everything. I have a HTPC going directly to a home theater receiver via digital optical which goes out to my 5.1 but I'm trying to understand how I'd incorporate a headphone amplifier into that.

If it's going digitally to your speakers, you don't need to incorporate a headphone amplifier. If you are plugging your headphones in and it's not loud enough, then you put an amp between the headphone and what you are plugging it into. A headphone amp with an analogue or digital connection from your computer being converted to a 3.5mm output is not going to sound better than your optical cable (which keeps the signal perfectly, as it is digital.)

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 17
^If your headphones aren't loud enough, yes... Though I think your stereo should be perfectly capable of powering headphones. Adding an amp isn't going to help unless the source is weak.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 17
Oh ok. I was thinking of it kind of like car audio and the headunit. Yes an aftermarket headunit might give 20W RMS but an amp would give 50W RMS.

Again new to the headphone scene so I'm learning as I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back