Just bought Grado SR60's
Oct 2, 2009 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Husky42

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I just bought a pair of Grado SR60's my room mate has a pair of SR225's and i loved them so much that I bought the cheaper SR60's

I know very little about headphones, but I listened to the 60's and the 80's at the shop and at the time i felt the 60's offered more in what I wanted out of my phones, but now that I have this set of cans home i swear they sound "off" compared to what i heard in store, now in store they were using a denon amp but here at the house we have a parasound preamp/amp setup

Is the notice primarily because my current set of cans are not broke in?

If that is the case is there a proper way to break them in?

I could not afford the SR225's and understood I was not going to be getting something as nice as those, although I'm quite pleased with my SR60's I'm almost considering going back and exchanging them for the SR80's

What are your thoughts?

I'm not a big audiophile or anything like that, I just wanted a good set of cans for my PC and music. No portable devices.

The next question is should i also change my soundcard? currently i use onboard sound and I'm wondering if a better sound card would help bring these to life.

The low impedance means they are driven fine by the current chipset but I almost feel that getting something with a better processor will help as well.

I love the way the 225's sound on my PC though - like i said i just cannot justify spending nearly $200 on 225's - The 80's are $100 including tax at the store i purchased them at and the 60's were $75

Thanks for all your thoughts when you provide them.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 20
Congratulations on your purchase! I am a happy owner of Grado SR60, too. This headphones are simply a match for the music stored in your PC. Enjoy and watch for the sound getting better as you burn it like what I did!

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 20
There's no burn in 'process', a lot of people don't even bother. Lots don't believe in it. Either way, any changes if any, are only subtle.

The difference could simply be the gear they had in store Vs what you're playing them on. As you're able to listen to stuff before buying, it's always a good idea to take your own gear in as a reference.

I use an iPod and decent portable amp. Not as good as my home stuff, but it's a baseline I'm familiar with.

There's not really that much difference between the 60 and 80. And low end grado's don't really get that much benefit from amping, so differences between amp s should be very slight. When I first got my MS1, I wasn't satisfied with my soundcard, so got a DAC/amp, this made a more noticeable difference to the quality, so I pt it down to the improved source. This may be where the difference is, depends what they played you in store. If it was a CD player, then there's a difference there.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no burn in process, a lot of people don't even bother. Lots don't believe in it. Either way, any changes if any, are only subtle.

I'm sorry cos I have to disagree from your statement. Burn in process is very important. I have monitored the sound of my Grado everyday as if it changes for better sound quality or not.

For the first few days after my purchase, it sounds harsh and like the sound of a cheap headphone I had before. Now, after hundred of hours, it is also hundred times better in sound quality.

Even now, its sound still changing most especially the soundstage of Grado.

I only use my Grado SR 60 on a PC, portable discman, mp3 player.

To sum it up, I'M A HEADFIER THAT BELIEVES IN THE LONG BURN PROCESS OF HEADPHONES! Anyway I love this experience.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry cos I have to disagree from your statement. Burn in process is very important. I have monitored the sound of my Grado everyday as if it changes for better sound quality or not.

To sum it up, I'M A HEADFIER THAT BELIEVES IN THE LONG BURN PROCESS OF HEADPHONES! Anyway I love this experience.

Well, I had plenty of my own experience with phones from MS1 to Beyer's to RS2 and I don't believe in it. But I'm not going to start another boring burn in war - nor am I going to try and convince newbs what to think.

It would be courteous of you to let other people do the same, and make their own mind up.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 20
Congratulations!
The SR60 is a really nice starter 'phone.
smile.gif

..and welcome to Head-Fi!

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 20
Try your friends SR225 Bowl pads on your SR60 and listen if it changes them to suit more your tastes. Thats the biggest difference between SR60 and SR225, pads change the sound DRAMATICALLY.

If they sound better with bowl pads than stock comfy pads, buy a replacement pair.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Husky42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the notice primarily because my current set of cans are not broke in?

Yes

Quote:

If that is the case is there a proper way to break them in?

Listen to them. Seriously. No pink noise. Nothing like that. Just enjoy them.

Quote:

I could not afford the SR225's and understood I was not going to be getting something as nice as those, although I'm quite pleased with my SR60's I'm almost considering going back and exchanging them for the SR80's
What are your thoughts?

If you have your heart on the SR225 don't settle. You won't be happy and will end up wishing you had what you originally wanted. There are 2-3 used SR225 on the for sale section right now ranging from $125 to $140. Save the extra cash and get what you want. You won't regret it in the end. However, some will argue that the journey is more fun than the destination. YMMV.

Quote:

The next question is should i also change my soundcard? currently i use onboard sound and I'm wondering if a better sound card would help bring these to life.

I wouldn't change the soundcard just yet. Upgrading your DAC/AMP should refine the sound. Not completely change it. Find a set of cans that you absolutely love and upgrading your DAC/AMP will make it that much better. Upgrading your soundcard won't change the sound signature of the HP enough that you'll go from "I hate these headphones" to "I love these things". I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I had plenty of my own experience with phones from MS1 to Beyer's to RS2 and I don't believe in it. But I'm not going to start another boring burn in war - nor am I going to try and convince newbs what to think.

It would be courteous of you to let other people do the same, and make their own mind up.

Excellent post.

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 20
Just enjoy the SR60's. They will break in over maybe 10's of hours....By that I mean the diaphragms that make the music and the surrounds will get to jiggle around and loosen up.... It will sound different after that time. That part isn't mystical at all to most people....(not all I admit, so no flame war intended)

The SR225, is a better phone, but if you can't afford it, don't feel bad. The SR60 offers a LOT of what Grado's better phones offer and are just damn fun to listen to.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 20
Nice! Congrats.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 20
So I tried the Sr225 pads on my SR60's and wow! it seems that the 60's were being muffled by the comfy pads just abit. So instead of ordering new pads I ended up exchanging the 60's for SR80's it cost me $26 when new pads would have cost me $25 so in the end the step up was worth it.

As for sound card I'm not trying to go fancy, i just use onboard sound right now and was thinking about a XFI Titaniam or Asus Xonar or whatever its called.

I really love these new 80's though
biggrin.gif

By the way, the source at home is just my VIA VT1708S on the PC and a Parasound P/HP-850 Preamp for movies and such.

I directly connect to a Nakamichi MB-10 for CD's though.

PC is gaming and high bit rate MP3 ie 192 and above but most at 320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back